Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Nightmare 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightmare 3.0

Well, it happened, 212K miles and the 3.0 blew a headgasket... I know, rare huh...

Here is where it gets funny! I take it to the local Yota stealership to have a new engine thrown in. They call me when she's done and I pop the hood... After all, I am always thrilled to see shiny new engine parts!

Immediately I notice a pool of ATF fluid under the truck! Long of the short, they have had my truck for three weeks and can't figure out (after my fourth trip to pick it up at the phone call of the service manager confirming it's "fixed") why the powersteering is puking fluid.

This truck is practically brand new now! New clutch, slave cylinder, SAS'd, gears, arb locker, new engine, new powersteering pump and now a new ACV valve... If it is not fixed this next time and you read about a customer going postal at a dealership it is ME!!!

By the way, new engine was around $3800....
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM

Update...

Dealership calls and says they have the PS fixed however, engine light is on. They said its a code 71.

They also went on to say they just are not sure how to fix it b/c the truck is "so old"... It's a 1995! They said their techs aren't schooled in the older vehicles! Also, if they tear into it it could be a host of problems (a host of problems they created when dismantling the engine!).

I am going to pick it up tonight and fix the damn thing myself!

This is pathetic and I hope no one goes through anything like this! I have spent over 4.5K w/ them and they tell me now they don't really know how to fix somehting they screwed up! MORONS!

Code 71 is egr/vsv I believe. I am thinking I just need to clean all the hoses and make sure the egr/vsv are in working order. I hope this eliminates the light!

Any suggestions or past experiences on a code 71. I have read previous threads and it doesn't seem to tuff.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 AM

update on the updated update! PS is not fixed and light still on! PS started overflowing again and they do not really want to try and fix the error code.
Service mgr said they are calling the "techs/engineers in California" to diagnose problem. Freaking amazing... In the mean time, they say don't worry about the check engine light... HOLY ELEPHANT TERDS! These people are idiots!

Called the dealerships GM and he did not have the stones to return my call. He had the service manager call and ask if I needed anything...

Truck still at dealership (going on 3 weeks) and formal complaint has been filed w/ Toyota Corporate.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 AM

stealerships are retarded i will say, the few places ive had ever had work on my trucks are small "mom and pop" shops, thyell do you right because they ned the buissness
Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 PM

I agree with you sir! I would have done the new engine myself but I am living 4.5 hrs from my hometown and all my connections.

I am curious to hear what the Toyota Customer Service Representative is going to say when they call for a "more in depth review"... Of course, the Stealership will change their tune when Coporate calls... but you can't fix stupid and you can't hide arrogance!

I'll update this little gem when I get some more run-around!! I also post the dealership and all names if this joke of a dealership doesn't provide some compensation.

OUT