Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

just did 350 swap, power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just did 350 swap, power steering problem

hi i am new to the forum hope i can get some help!!!

Ok i just got pretty much done my 350 swap in 92 4runner that used to have a 22re, now i fired her up earlyer and ran pretty goood, had less problems than expected accept for one big one i can see right now,

On the powersteering i screwd up somwheres, i am using a stock GM power steering pump (BTW ENGINE IS FROM 84 CAMARO)and had a line done for the pressure hose cause the fitting wasnt the same that goes in the power steering box, problem is i only noticed this after, on the powersteering pump their is a tank for the fluied, but i also have a fluid tank on the 4runner because it was seperate from the pump on the yota, now i hoked up the return line from the gm to the return line on the toyota,

when it was running powersteering fluid was leaking from the toyota fluid tank cap. What am i supposed to do for this, their is like 3 different hoses that all go in the toyta tank. thanks!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:13 AM

Take the toyota tank right out of there. Run you pressure line right to the box and your return line to a cooler of some sort and from the cooler right back to the gm pump. This is what i did when i did the chevy SB in my 94 pickup. worked great.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:12 AM

okay but when i take out the tank that leaves me with 3 hoses, do i get like someking of plumbing conecter thats shaped like a T so i can connect all 3 hoses togerther, i am going to asume that these aren't high pressure lines,

The return line i was refering to you was the one that uses to go from the yota pump to the yota tank. i just went from yota tank to the gm pump (wich also has a tank) that leaves 2 other hoses on the yota tank. I know i have to take out the yota tank i just am not 100% sure what to do with all 3 hoses that go in the tank.

The return line is already hooked up the the box as it should be. thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 AM

my bad i think i know what you mean i will check it out later,. For the return line you want me to take off from the box, run somkind of cooler and go to the GM pump. Lol is that what you meant? If so what do i use for a cooler? can I just use like 10 foot of hose and put it in front of the radiator lol don't plan on doing much off road with it just for road use. thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 AM

when you say take off from the box you mean the steering box (drivers side) where the steering column is. So that would mean i would cancel the other box that is on the passenger side, What does that boxy thing one the passenger side even do? i know their are some brake lines that also go in that box.

The thing is the steering hose/pipe i had made was made to go from the passenger boxy thing to the gm pump, i would have to have the hose/pipe shortend and reflared to go directly to the steering box, and then take the return line from the steering box directly to the power steering pump (with a cooler) . Their was one return line on each box going to the toyota tank thats why i was really mixed up.