Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

Any good Custom Shops in Houston (Engine Swap)?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any good Custom Shops in Houston (Engine Swap)?

So - I'm probably going to have a shop do my engine swap for me. I've never done anything beyond rebuilding the 22RE a few times and other misc mods to my 4Runner (no welding) - so I'd prefer to pay someone to do an engine swap for me and have it done right the first time. I'd LOVE to dig in and do it myself, but I'm getting older, work 50+ hours a week, and just don't have the time to do this once and then realize I'll need to do it again to get it "Right". If I was still in my 20's - maybe

I don't have a clue which way I want to go with the swap yet (5VZ-FE, or Ford/Chevy V8) - but do you have any recommendations for a Houston shop that is competent at Toyota engine swaps? My baby is a 1987 4Runner with 22RE and 5-Speed.

I know "The Shop" in League City has done a few, and I have a buddy that runs a small Toyota repair shop that claims he can do it. "The Shop" quoted me a pretty high estimate - and I just read a thread on this forum where another member got the 3.4L engine itself plus installation for under $3K!!! I'd be happy to drop upto $5K, but once we get into $7K-$10K I think I'll pass and buy a newer 4Runner for $15K or so. I still have lots of other things to do to my 87 4Runner as well and I can't eat my entire budget on the motor swap alone.

This truck has lots of sentimental value to me - so I'd prefer to keep her going. She looks awesome with fresh paint and 32"s and has a hell-of-an audio system! Just needs a new drivetrain and some interior TLC...

Thanks so much for any pointers. I did a search, but got hundreds of non-related threads and gave up after the first 30 or 40 threads...

Thanks!

Last edited by Randyman...; 10-18-2010 at 05:47 PM.