Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

4runner with supra engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner with supra engine

I'm toy'n with the idea of installing a supra engine in a 4runner and was wondering if anyone had some advise. I would want to replace the 3.0 with either a 7mtge or a 2jz model engine. I'm currently running a 3.0 v6 with a r150f tranny. I would like to retain my stock tranny, as to keep costs down. Any info would be great as to what will actually bolt to what. I did a v8 swap in an 86 pickup and that was a lot of work. I'm just trying to plan ahead for when this 3.0 has issues.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 400yzturbo
Any info would be great as to what will actually bolt to what. .
Only engines that will bolt to your R150 is the 3vze and 5vze.

You'll need a bellhousing adapter to run the 7m. Never seen an adapter for the 2jz to R series (not sure why, theres one for the w trans)

http://www.monster-performance.com/modules/shop/
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the help. It looks like my options are limited to two choices then, if i want to retain the r150 tranny.

I have a w56 in my truck pictured to the left. I put a ford 302 under the hood and I'm using the w56 tranny with a bellhousing from NWOR. It seems to be working great, but I don't know how it will hold up in the long run.

I do like the power of the v8 in my truck but I dislike the gas milage. So when i hop in my wifes 4runner it feels gutless, this is why I would like to swap to something with a little more power.

I will have to wait until the 3.0 bits the dust, but when it does, I would like to have done my research to know what I will replace it with.

If I change out trannys to a W series then I can bolt up a 7m to it with little to no problems? Will all W series bellhousing interchange with W series trannys?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 AM

Keep your eyes open, theres a 88 grey Runner in Logan with Supra power.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:46 AM

I live right in logan but I guess I haven't seen it yet. That would be cool to see how he has it setup, (in person that is)

I wonder what kind of power he is pushing? Also, what tranny he has behind it.

Is the picture you (HELIFUN) sent as a link is that the runner that has the supra in it? If so I'll keep my eye out for it.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:40 AM

where to go for info...

The 2j swap is much harder, with it being longer and the possible requrement of a turbo 22ret bell (someone posted up a 1jz turbo with a hybrid tranny, search ), and because of the 3.0, the mounts would have to be fabbed. The best candidates are 22re, w56...then the recipe is 7m + 7m NA bell on the w56, mkII motor mounts, 22re rubbers and a cressida front sump and oil pump (with new dipstick hole drilled) if you use IFS.

All you need is at supracharged.com...that's where the links to the 1jz swap is...

I'm slowly doing the NA 7m in my 86 runner...

Good Luck
Old 11-02-2008, 05:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know you were looking for Supra swap advice, but if you already have a V6 and you're looking for the easiest swap, the 3.4 is practically a bolt-in and gives you far more power and an increase in economy.

Just my 3 cents.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 AM

I have thought about using the 3.4 engine. As for what i have found is, it will bolt up to the r150f tranny and the motor mounts are the same. I have looked around a little and it seems that the 3.4 engine is a lot more expensive than the supra engines. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

I looked into Off Road Solutions and found they sell a wiring harness for the 3.4 swap into older 3.0 chassis. They make sound like it is just plug and play. Is it as simple as they make it sound?

If it is that simple I would probably use the 3.4 instead.

I'm looking for a fairly simple swap, that will keep my 4runner close to stock but give it more HP and better MPG.

The questions that come up with the 3.4 swap are: If I found a 3.4 engine will I need the ecm and wiring harness for a 5speed setup If I want to use the swap on a 5speed tranny? I don't know if I could use an Auto 3.4 and ecm and wiring harness on a 5speed tranny.

I have done a v8 swap on the truck pictured to the left. I spent so much time on it that my wife started calling it a dirtly little ho, because it stole her man and his money.

If I do another swap i don't want it to end up like the truck one I did. Where it takes too much time and outrageous amonunts of money to complete. Plus were it is our daily driver i couldn't afford to have it out of commission very long.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:59 PM

I did mine in 11 days or so days, some full days, others not. It was my first swap and the biggest project I have tackled to date. I had never unbolted an engine from a tranny before, pulled one nor put in a new one. For me, it was the best learning experience possible. Knowing what I now know, I'm confident I could pull one off in about a week.

First, find a complete engine, from fan to flywheel, intake to exhaust, if you can, with an uncut harness and computer. You're best to find all of this from one place. I found a recycling yard and, once I told him my end goal, he was very helpful in keeping everything together. I picked up the whole deal, including alternator, starter, A/C compressor, and power steering pump for $2000.

Second, while you don't need the wiring harness from ORS, if you're intimidated by wiring, it's probably your best bet. I researched mine and with the help from folks on here, plus Andrew Zook's great write up http://www.andrewzook.com/content/view/22/37 managed to get all but one wire sorted out. My brother's buddy did the wiring (mechanic by trade) and it cost me a $40 engine stand and a couple beer. Cheap. The whole goal of the wiring harness is to splice your existing body harness (under the passenger side kick panel) into the engine harness on the 3.4. It's a matter of figuring out the function of the wires under the dash and their corresponding mate on the engine. It's time consuming, more than anything, but Toyota Techinfo is your best resource for material https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

For $10 per day, you can download manuals to your heart's content.

The engine mounts swap from your 3.0 to the 3.4, you need to swap the oil pickup, baffle and pan from the 3.0 to the 3.4, use the 3.4 flywheel and clutch, but the 3.0 throwout bearing. The exhaust will need to be modified, but that's a matter of moving the downpipe from the passenger to the driver side of the truck. Someone on here did it for $3.00, I think. I had mine made by an exhaust shop. They also fabbed me a brand new exhaust with high flow cat and muffler. The price was steep at $1000 for everything and I'm pretty sure you can get it done a lot cheaper. You need to solder a resistor to the back of your tach.

I sold the 3.0 for $300 but probably could have gotten more. I just wanted to get rid of it. All totalled, I think I have about $3200 into the swap, after the engine sale.

Seriously, it's almost bolt-in in its simplicity. The power makes the truck a whole lot more fun. Ask Elvota or anyone else who's done it. I get probably 10-15% better fuel mileage with it, even turning 33" tires.

Sorry for hijacking your Supra swap question. I know there are a lot of guys who have done it and love it. It takes more fab work, though, but can probably be done cheaper in the long run.

It's your call. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Forgot to answer your manual tranny question. I got my engine out of a 97 Taco with a 5 speed. You can use an auto ECU, but I think you have to trick into thinking it's in neutral. Source an engine from a 5 speed, if you can. Make it easier on yourself.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I will go the 3.4 way instead of a supra, Now it comes down to saving the money to get things started. What would you the power increase would be? I have never ridden in a 3.4 truck so I have no idea how it compares to the 3.0. What years 3.4 would work? I can't compare it to my v8 swap as it will leave this thing in the dust. While I'm on it I raced a friend who was running an '02 tundra and I can beat him. I'm mechanically inclined so most things aren't a problem. Most of the issues are I don't know enough about the different engines to know how they will handle what I want to do.

Oh have you heard of anyone turbocharging the 3.0? I thought about that to but I have heard the 3.0 has head gasket issues so I don't know how that would hold up.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM

Any vehicle with a 3.4 would work. Then only problem is the later years, when they switched from cable operated throttles to throttle-by-wire. I think you're good into the early 2000's.

Output is hard to peg. The 3.0 was rated at 150 hp, and the 3.4 was around 190, I think. Now, mine has a huge air filter and high flow exhaust. I can't be sure, but seat of the pants, the difference is huge. I don't think my 3.0 was putting out the full power range. I do know that hills I had struggled in 3rd gear to stay at 45 mph I can now take at 50 mph in 5th. I can actually accelerate up hills if I downshift to 4th!

The 3.0 has been turbocharged, but really...you're force feeding an engine that's at its limits already. You can buy a normally aspirated 3.4 or, if you're lucky, find a 3.4 that's got the TRD supercharger. Or you can add the S/C later on. I'm contemplating that as an upgrade in the coming years. Right now, I'm more than happy with it.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 AM

RobD, Is your ID picture the one with the 3.4 in it? Did you have to use a body lift to get everything under the hood to clear? I plan to start this prolect just as soon as I can find an engine in my price range.

Once I get an engine located, I will start gathering everything I need and have it all onhand, before I tear into it. Did you have to get all the smog emissoions stuff transfered over to make it run right. I personally would liket o be able to get rid of the smog stuff, but I know if I did I would have a hard time trying to sell it if i ever did.

Did the 3.4 ever have any head gasket problems like the 3.0?
Do you know of any problems I should watch out for?

Are their any internal differences between the N/A and the S/C engines? I would like to have a supercharger on it, but don't want to decrease reliability by pushing an engine that wasn't designed to have one on it.

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to have everything figured out before I start so I will know what I can and can't do on this thing.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:20 AM

Waskillywabbit had a 3.4 and tranny for a good price a few weeks back. It may be gone now, but you should check there.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 PM

I looked him up on here and his listing says the engine is not available
Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 400yzturbo
RobD, Is your ID picture the one with the 3.4 in it? Did you have to use a body lift to get everything under the hood to clear? I plan to start this prolect just as soon as I can find an engine in my price range.

Once I get an engine located, I will start gathering everything I need and have it all onhand, before I tear into it. Did you have to get all the smog emissoions stuff transfered over to make it run right. I personally would liket o be able to get rid of the smog stuff, but I know if I did I would have a hard time trying to sell it if i ever did.

Did the 3.4 ever have any head gasket problems like the 3.0?
Do you know of any problems I should watch out for?

Are their any internal differences between the N/A and the S/C engines? I would like to have a supercharger on it, but don't want to decrease reliability by pushing an engine that wasn't designed to have one on it.

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to have everything figured out before I start so I will know what I can and can't do on this thing.
That is the truck in the pic, but that is from 2 years ago, before I swapped. I did not do a body lift. I cut a hole in the hood to make it fit and put a hood scoop on. Some guys get away with a much smaller one. Your call. https://www.yotatech.com/gallery/sho....php?photo=362

I did not run the EVAP box, but I did have a cat put on and O2 sensors, as well, but we don't have emissions testing here. Your state might. You will need to check with local authorities.

The 3.4 never had the same head gasket problems, but I believe some '99-00 engines had a problem with the connecting rods failing. You'd have to check into that further.

As for the supercharger, the engine was designed to take the extra power of the supercharger. Ask some of the guys running them and you'll find one or two are throwing a bunch more boost than stock into it.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:58 AM

Thanks, I'll search into it a lot further to see what I find.
As for emissions, I will probably have to set mine up with it, because if I ever sell it I would probably have to have it on, or if my area decides to do emissions testing.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Im in logan and have a grey 85 with a supra in it. I love it!!Let me know if you want to check it out.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Bru

crawldaddy,
What motor did you use? What issues did you run into? I have a 83 4x4 that I'm thinking about putting a 89 7m into. I will have the complete supra to get all the wiring and everything from. I know that I will need a W56 tranny. I was just talking to a guy last night that has a tranny sitting around but not sure what it is.

Thanks
Bru
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 AM

I have the 7m-ge, non turbo engine. Its snug but I love the way it runs. Im running a w56 tranny as well. I had to clearence the fire wall some and I only have pusher fans for the cooling. The computer is under the glove box up out of the way.

Quick Reply: 4runner with supra engine