2tr into 95 pickup - YotaTech Forums

Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

2tr into 95 pickup

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #1  

2tr into 95 pickup

Ok so I came across a 2005 Tacoma that's been wrecked for a good deal, but I thought it had the 3rz but it has a 2rt with a 5 speed, can this swap be done if I practically have the whole truck for parts? Searched and can't seem to find my answer any help would be greatly appreciated.
fredericogarciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #2  

This is something I've done some research on, and I believe it's very do-able.
The 5-speed is an R-series transmission, so the buzz on the 'net is that an R151 or R150 transmission should bolt up to the 2Tr bellhousing.
Besides that, you'd definitely need the harness, sensors and ECU out of the donor, as well as all the emissions gear, motor mounts, and probably clutch master.
Two big considerations:
1. The 2Tr-FE is drive-by-wire, so you'll need to scoop up the throttle with the donor.
2. If there is any of that electronic security garbage (anti-theft, etc) it might freak out and disable the ECU after the transplant.
RobotMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotMoose View Post
This is something I've done some research on, and I believe it's very do-able.
The 5-speed is an R-series transmission, so the buzz on the 'net is that an R151 or R150 transmission should bolt up to the 2Tr bellhousing.
Besides that, you'd definitely need the harness, sensors and ECU out of the donor, as well as all the emissions gear, motor mounts, and probably clutch master.
Two big considerations:
1. The 2Tr-FE is drive-by-wire, so you'll need to scoop up the throttle with the donor.
2. If there is any of that electronic security garbage (anti-theft, etc) it might freak out and disable the ECU after the transplant.
Thanks for the reply, it's definitely something I want to jump into just needed reassurance that it would work
fredericogarciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #4  

Interestingly enough, 4-Wheel and Offroad Mag's just released their selection of wheelers to participate in this year's Ultimate Adventure, and one of the participants is a man who owns a Samurai with a 2TR-FE/R150 combo. It seems that it's a possibility.

Keep me up to date, I'd love to see how this turns out; this is something I've been considering for my own truck.

Last edited by RobotMoose; 05-05-2015 at 11:57 PM.
RobotMoose is offline   Reply With Quote