Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

22re to 2jzge or 7mge

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re to 2jzge or 7mge

First off my truck is a 90 4x4 pickup with a 22re. I don't really know if this swap would be possible or worth it but I'd like to know and start collecting the parts i need. I've looked all over yota tech and googled already and I've seen a few of these done but no write up on them. There was a thread on here that talked about a kit (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ap-kit-130206/) but i guess the company went out of business or something. I have two main concerns for the 2jz. I've been thinking about the 2jzgte if it were possible to turn off the turbo's. I don't really know a whole lot about turbo's so I'm skeptical about putting then in the rig. I don't want to wheel with turbo's running because I want steady power range and i guess with the turbo's even twin turbo's which have a better power range still won't give me a solid steady power. If i can't turn them off I'll go with the non turbo. Another concern i have i haven't found mentioned anywhere is whether the steering column causes any clearance issues with the 2jz's. I also would have to build or have built a custom bell housing for the transmission which shouldn't be to much of an issue but still complicates things. I have heard the the 7mge practically bolts in so I've also been thinking about going for less power but an easier swap. I found a great buildup on here the link is (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161...-supra-162638/) so what I'm really asking is would it be worth it to try and do the 2jz and if it is then is it worth it to get the dual turbo version. It'll be a while before i start the buildup whichever choice i make since I don't make a whole lot and have to slowly buy the parts but i definitely want to do one of these swaps. reason is that i love My truck and never want to sell it, which means that eventually I'd at least have to rebuild my engine which costs quite a bit and since I'd be taking the engine out i might as well do a little extra work (well a lot more work but worth it I think) and make it a bit more than it is. plus it would be a fun sleeper. I use the truck for moderate to light wheeling, a bit of mud, trail, some light rock crawling, it's my dd, and I use it to tow wood in the summer a bit. This summer I'll be putting 1.5" bj spacers and 2" addaleafs on it and i have some 33" BFG mud terrains that will go on it.

Last edited by lotalucas; 04-17-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 PM

does anyone know anything about these swaps?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your goal is going to be power, hands down, the 2JZ-GTE (the twin turbo motor) is by far, the best. However, they're probably overkill for your application. Stock they're 320hp. With a simple boost controller, and some ECU tuning, I've seen several put down mid 400s to the wheels. However, you're going to start breaking other parts with that kind of power.

You DON'T need a custom bellhousing. A 2JZ-GE is usually mated with a W58 in the MKIV Supra, you can use that bellhousing to bolt it to any Toyota W or G transmission. You can also find a 1JZ bellhousing, which will allow you to bolt the motor to a R154 transmission. With some creative work, you can mate teh back-half of a Toyot R150 on to the R154 to bolt up an R150 transfercase to it.

The 2JZ comes with two oil pans. Front sump in the Toyota Aristo, and Lexus GS300 and Mid/Rear sump in the Supras, Lexus IS300s, Lexus SC300, Toyota Soarer. You WILL need custom motor mounts though.

The 7M-GE (or 7M-GTE if you so desire) will bolt in place of a 22R motor, if you use a set of engine mounts from a 5M (MKII Supra, Toyota Cressida), and bolt in the 22R rubber section. The 7M also comes with Front, and mid/rear sump pans. I don't know which fits in the truck though. It depends on if you're IFS or SFA.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:36 AM

I know that the 2jzgte would be an overkill but it would still be fun, but my main thought is the twin turbo's. I don't want them running if I'm in low going over some rocks, then I would really end up breaking things. So I was curious weather it is possible to turn them off. If not then I won't use them at all and just get the 2jzge which as you said is still plenty of power or depending on how complicated the install would be on the 2jz i may just go with the 7mge which has less power but is a very easy install I heard.

as for the oil pan I would need to get the rear sump i guess but it still has an issue because the one on the 22re is slightly slanted to make room room diff. although I may just do a sas when I do the swap. Has anyone heard anything about issues with the steering column though. I would think that different vehicle different steering column, especially car to truck, and i would think this would be an issue but i don't see it anywhere.

I'm loving not having to build a custom bell housing. That would be the biggest part of the swap if i had to do that.
annoyingrob, do you have a build up for your 1jz, how hard or a swap was it.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM

heres one build of the 1JZ on SupraMania
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46638

Here's another covering the 1JZ, and 1.5JZ, but the forum is full of morons who like to argue mindlessly
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=168967

As for "turning off" the turbochargers on a 2JZ-GTE, there are two ways you can do this. you can either disconnect the wastegate arms from the actuators, and hold them open, or you can install a pressure accumulator tank, and feed a constant pressure into teh wastegates to hold them open.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 AM

since i really don't know much about turbochargers and I don't really want anything extra that could break I'm thinking i'll just go with the 2jzge and make it less complicated. I don't want to end up having to fix something on the trail that i'm not familuar with. plus 215 to 298 hp is more than enough for my little truck. thanks for the forum links.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 AM

No problem. A 2JZ-GE powered truck would be pretty decent. Bicperformance.com has started making JZ to 2wd truck mounts. In the future he'll probably have some 4wd mounts made too.