Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Sas swap, where to gusset frame for hard wheeling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sas swap, where to gusset frame for hard wheeling?

Just starting my 87 2lt 4x4 truck project. The frame is shot but I got a 85 2wheel frame rust free to swap on. Wondering where I need to add gussets to the frame to prevent breakage before I get it painted?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM

The 2wd drive frame is shorter, I believe. The steering gear box should have plates on both sides where it mounts. The front shock hoop area can be gusseted. The spot between the cab and bed is a weak spot. The spot where the gas tank sits next to the frame is notorious for rusting out. The fuel lines and wires run between the tank and frame, holding dirt and mud, expediting the rusting process. I simply moved the fuel tank over 1 hole. There are 3 bolts holding it in on each end. They line up well enough that I now have the tank hanging by 2 bolts at each end.

Make sure that you don't just cut your gusset plates off straight. That puts the shear load all in a straight line, making that point on your frame extremely vulnerable. Making "V's" with nice round ends will evenly distribute loads through the frame around the gusset plates. Make sure to clean the frame extremely well before welding to eliminate needless contamination, and make sure you're welding correctly (i.e., gas flow, welder settings, stitch welding so you don't warp, etc.).
Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Thanks pyrojoe, parts are being ordered and I figure being I'm starting right from the frame up I want too do it right and have no problems later.