Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

does this set up look right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it would be good to get some real steering. Preferably high steer, hopefully you don't have to move the steering box. With the front leaf springs, you might want to put the shackles on the rear, just like they would have came stock on the years that toyotas had solid axles. For the rear, if you have money to invest, get a real spring pack, but if you don't maybe you can get a shorter shackle or make that shackle shorter so its not crazy ghetto, or even source some springs from craigslist or another member for cheap off another yota 4x4. Besides the ghettoness that yota is sick!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your input and help. Guess I better start looking for some parts to barter for. Sucks not working and have something like this happen but thats what I get for looking at a vehicle in the pouring rain and almost dark out, oooooppps, my bad.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 302 Likes on 208 Posts
Ohh man I saw that thing on CL...

Any luck getting your front end figured out?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Delete.. Double post.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 10-18-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by vtcrawler
Thanks everyone for your input and help. Guess I better start looking for some parts to barter for. Sucks not working and have something like this happen but thats what I get for looking at a vehicle in the pouring rain and almost dark out, oooooppps, my bad.
i learn that when I was 15 buying a Bug...supposed to be a 64, had 67 fenders. got it home and climbed in the back to clean all the beer cans out of the back and put my foot through the floor..guess I can't complain for $400
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM

steering

The key is to find out where the play is coming from. Hook up your steering column, have a friend or anyone you can find sit in the truck and turn the steering wheel back and forth with the wheels off the ground. From what you've described, you've got to have some major play coming from the gear box, tie rod ends, or drag link. Once you find out where they play is coming from you've got your problem fixed. Look for loose movement in all your moving parts. Any movement that doesn't translate to the tires moving is what you're looking for. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Im not even sure where to begin on the front end yet. I cant afford the high steer kit, not sure about the shackles even being right andthe rear spring mounts. I need to figure something out FAST because this is my DD and im stuck home till I do.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something FAST would be to find someone willing to trade for an IFS rig, then you can save and do it all the right way on your time. That whole truck needs a lot of love and fab work to get everything correct or even to make some of it not so scary just to drive on the road. I am sure it is not what you would want to hear but it's reality, it is probably the easiest and quickest way to get you on the road safely.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Alright, so heres another question for you guys........ Why is it that when I was looking at different set ups on the web, on the front spring set up, the shackle itself was on the back and the front was mounted right to the mount? Also, when I wheeled years ago, I had a solid axle 84 with lift and I had the stock steering set up and had no problems at all, didnt have a high ster kit and I was runnung 35's? I just dont get it anymore, lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:12 PM

The 84 has different steering than your truck.
But most guys that lift their 79-85 trucks convert to the steering you have, minus the booty fab
Old 10-18-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy cow... People who build crap like that and drive on the same roads as my friends and family should be knocked out.

That kind of fab work is what makes the state make laws to prevent our rigs from being legal on the roads... Ruin it for the rest of us not ghetto fabbing.

Sorry had to spill that, been in to many recent arguments with guys who think that kind of half azzed work is acceptable.

You can salvage that front.. Drill the frame, get new shackles for the front, cut that crap hanging off the frame. I'd put in TG 3" set. And replace that steering with high steer (marlin/all pro.. Not TG. Their ends SUCK)

Backs fine for now. Those auto zone shackles should go. Get a set of 6" and if u want put in add a leaf and remove a block. Make due till you can replace it all.

Goodluck
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Alright, so after doing some serching on this forum I THINK this may be a cheaper way out but correct me if im wrong, PLEASE. Since I really dont know what the hell is under this thing for lift, if any in the springs, and those crappy shackles on the front and rear and dont forget that ghetto steering set up, I came up with the use of the 63 chevy springs or the shorter fords with shackle lift but I would like to keep the same height without the blocks in the rear so how can I fugure this part out? Im still a little confused on how much height I can actually get out of those springs. Some say not much at all and use a 6in shackle lift with them and some say almost 5in, then use a 3in shackle lift? I know I will have to move the rear, front spring mount 11in forward and so on, so what about the front? Use stock yoda springs with a better shackle lift or run chevys or fords in the front too, then buy a high steer kit? I need to get out of this as cheap as possible like I said. Not sure if this makes any sence but let me know what you all think. Thanks again

Last edited by dropzone; 10-18-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 PM

I would start with the highsteer kit. Your front end is odd, but could be drastically better with the proper linkage in there.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM

It varies how much lift Chevy or f150 springs lift. Maybe a lot, maybe not so much. If you want to do high steer you have to have about 4" of lift up front. Stock yota springs probably wouldn't cut it unless you added springs to the pack. You might be able to use the front springs you have just get mounts for the front and put your shackles out back.

I have been thinking though, some jeeps have shackles that are on the front of the springs. I dunno how that affect things but apparently it was good enough for Chrysler. That being said its always nice to do it or have someone you trust do it do you know it's done right.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
I would start with the highsteer kit. Your front end is odd, but could be drastically better with the proper linkage in there.
But judgeing by the looks of it, it really doesnt look like it will clear the top of the spring, I could be wrong but I looked at it today for about 15min and unless the parts are more then 3in higher or more, I dont think it will work with those springs, but I have never seen a high steer kit in person so im not sure how much higher it brings it up.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 PM

I see. How about with a flat pitman arm?

Also, it looks like your ubolts are loose.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon

I see. How about with a flat pitman arm?

Also, it looks like your ubolts are loose.
Never noticed the ubolts. You might have a great point there. I will spray them down with WD40 and let them soak for a bit and see if they tighten up any. That would RALLY cause a problem like what I have. Thanks alot for the eyes. I will let you guys know what happens.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:19 PM

Btw, any idea on what would use a flat pitman arm to fit that steering box just in case?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbies4life
The key is to find out where the play is coming from. Hook up your steering column, have a friend or anyone you can find sit in the truck and turn the steering wheel back and forth with the wheels off the ground. From what you've described, you've got to have some major play coming from the gear box, tie rod ends, or drag link. Once you find out where they play is coming from you've got your problem fixed. Look for loose movement in all your moving parts. Any movement that doesn't translate to the tires moving is what you're looking for. Good luck.
Did you seriously look at his front end or are you vaguely familiar with SAS conversions?
his was fubarred by the previous owner and it basically needs to be rebuilt.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 PM

Just a curious question here so please dont go off on me to bad. On the ghetto steering set up as far as the drag link and tie rod goes, why wouldnt it work? Is it because the drag ling only goes half way over to the passenger side? It seems to be built out of strong tubes and heiam joints. Just a question, not that im goingto use it but just curious.

Quick Reply: does this set up look right?