Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

89 ext cab SAS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i measured the carrier bearings and the carrier and the yukon 4cyl wont work... talked to dave and a new one will be shipped out monday. i cant wait for it
Old 04-24-2011, 09:28 AM

yeah ive noticed that i missed out on alot of the beef parts in this buildup. my green backs only go so far. for right now i just wanna get the axle under the truck and get it on the trail. then later on down the road im gonna do all the building i gotta do. i just gotta figure out a list of things to do and start upgrading.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 PM

aight so i had kind of a constructive weekend... got the whole front end cut out and ready to be put back together... it was kind of an interesting deal hacking up all the brackets and getting it all cleaned up but i got it done. now on to the next step.. putting it back together.

its go time... last time the truck will ever have IFS... time to start hacking

got some stuff cut but just decided unbolting the axle would be easier than just cut out the brackets when i had more room.

here is the brackets that need to be cut off...

this is the point where you think to your self... "oh hell, did i really just do this?" no turning back now.

i got marlins steering box relocation brace to move my steering box. im gonna cut the front part of the bracket and move the steering box as far forward as possible. gonna break this down later as i do it.

another picture of the brace... looks pretty beefy... comes with a top plate on it.

i dont have much time to work on this truck so im working hard to get everything i can done in the time i got. its getting pretty interesting.. bout to order more parts
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 PM

just wanted to start this post with this picture... for yall reading this thread getting ideas about doin your SAS be VERRY careful when cutting the brackets off... there are fuel and brake lines and your frame is likely oil covered like mine was and is very easy to catch on fire... i caught mine on fire a few times while cutting the brackets... just check out this picture to see how close some fuel lines are.

fuel line running up to the engine right near the passenger side mounts.

just got the front spring hanger sitting in place... looks pretty damn cool.

if i was a rich guy ida did the SAS the same time i did the 3.4 swap... man there is tons of room under here now...
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM

still tryin to get as much done every day as possible. sometimes take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back though. i cant wait to get this thing finished...

FINNALLYYYYYY got the damn holes drilled for the spring shackle hangers. that was a job right there... boxed frame and internal bracing isnt fun at all.

got the springs hanging, just wanted to see what it looked like. gotta build the spring packs...

i think i got the wrong shackles or something. it looks strange.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Looks good! You move quickly! Shakles look ok, remember there isnt any weight on them.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:51 PM

well ya know how when your doing fabricating and large projects like this how sometimes you take 3 steps forward and 2 steps backwards? well i been feeling like this lately. between workin a ton of hours and taking thes congo line steps its just tough right now. but it is pretty fun at the same time. i feel like progress will start to pick up pretty soon.

i got some help today to get the front axle under the truck and everything measured up and welded in place. got some pictures of the progress.

building the spring packs.

what the front springs look like currently.

got the front axle under the truck. taking measurements to get it all square under the truck.

and i rolled a tire into the shop to see what it looks like. it is a Q78 superswamper on a 15x7 inch wheel... measured out to be 33 1/2 inches. just tryin to get an idea about what it will look like

after we got it all mocked up and everything measured out we took it all back apart to weld everything up. got the spring packs taken apart to drill holes to add the teflon spring pads on each end to hopefully help the ride and flex. after i get them drilled and painted ill get the front end put back together.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:05 PM

welp had a pretty good weekend of work getting the truck together. i got parts ordered and they are at the parts store to finish the brakes and all that up front. the goal for this weekend was to get the front axle put under the truck, tires slapped on and get it measured for shocks.

my dad took the leafs to his machine shop to get the holes drilled for the friction pads. after that me and tony slapped them together and got the axle slid in place. got it hanging now.

cleaned the spindle off getting ready to put the IFS hubs on it.

got the hub on. bearings seated and ready to bolt on a tire. ill put the locking hub on later when i get the other parts in.

just rolled the truck out of the shop. i was headed back around the shop with the tractor and just had to snap a picture of the truck. cant wait to get the rear lift under it so it sits more level

got the left side flexed up. looks pretty decent

gotta run some bumpstops. i dont want the springs getting this flat... dont wanna bend them.

got some decent droop.

i donno why it looks like the right side didnt flex as high as the left. prolly just holding the camera differently.

im kinda dissapointed in how little the flex was on the front. although i had no idea what to expect. i took a measurement on the right side and fully extended it was 26 inches and fully compressed on that same side it was 17 inches. im gonna do some looking and thinking to see what i gotta do next.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 PM

made a little more progress today on the truck. but first... another picture of the front end.

the front axle has been moved forward a good bit. i like it... has a pretty good approch angle.

i slapped the rear tires on the truck to see how much higher the front sits than the rear. hopefully the 63 inch rear chevys will level the truck out some.

got the rear springs busted out of the truck. gettin ready for the rear lift.

had go snatch the receiver hitch and rear bumper off the truck to get enough room to mount the 63s.

and thats the end of yet another productive weekend. the truck is starting to come together. just got more crap to buy... and more cool stuff to get done... i cant wait to get it on the trail and see what it can do. stay tuned....
Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Lookin good so far! I cant wait to SAS mine someday
Old 06-13-2011, 03:58 PM

i highly reccomend it... study up hard. research and research... start saving for it NOW... i cant wait to get mine finished and on the trails
Old 06-13-2011, 04:47 PM

i want to sas or long travel
Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM

aight i finally got a good work weekend to get a few things done on the truck. my goal had been to get the body lift and rear suspension under the truck so i could get measurements and order the last big order of parts for my truck. i knew it would take a good weekend to get it done and well with me workin 70 hour weeks its tough to find time... but finally got some...

first thing was to snatch the bed off to get to the rear springs and make it easier to do the body lift.

the frame rails had been broke and poorly patched back together by a previous owner. so i ground them down straitened them out and layed in some angle iron and welded it in for support... sorry dropped the ball on the finished product.

then was time to install Sky Offroads 63 inch chevy kit. their kit is pretty nice.. comes with all the bolts and bushings and everything. check out the welds on the shackle hanger.

guess the method they use to bend the spring hangers causes these small tears. so i made sure to weld them up.

after i got the springs under the truck me my cousin and buddy installed the body lift... was pretty painless, i dont like the looks of a body lift but i guess it will grow on me.

i really goobered the rear shackle angle up so gotta go back and move the shackle forward some to get a better angle.. hopefully it will make the rear sit just a hair lower to give it a good stance. now if i can just get the rest of the parts here ill be able to get out on the trail... i cant wait
Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good man
Old 07-03-2011, 05:53 PM

so this weekend started with me getting the yota loaded up on a trailer and headed to White Rhino Fab to get the shock hoops figured out. i got my shocks on order from Davez Offroad and should be in next weeks or so, so i wanted to let Chris at White Rhino look at the truck and get measurements for the beadlocks and other things.

didnt even push the truck off the trailer... backed it up and began playin with the plasma cutter... i GOTT get me one of these!!! haha

i sure aint scared to cut on my own truck. gotta watch out when making room for hoses and wires in the area. im gonna have to do some re-routing when we finish the hoops.

got the front hoops on there. gonna wait till the shocks come in to finish them up.

also picked me up another set of tires. these are my "street tires" i figured when i wear out the bias tires i can get the surplus military radials and run them on the street to save on my good tires.

and now for a few poser flex shots since i got the 63s out back.

i think its cool that when i moved the front axle forward it actually sits squarely in the fender when at full compression. seems like that worked out perfectly

i thought the 63s would flex a little more. hopefully they will break in some once it gets out on the trail.

thats me standin there. im 6'4 so it seems like it twists up pretty decent... granted its not even close to being on level ground.

when i get the shocks and bump stops the front springs will have 1 inch less of compression than shown here.. maybe it will stop them from being bent up too badly.

i got some more work done and alot to do yet. but im really enjoying this build alot. stay tuned
Old 07-04-2011, 04:15 PM

got a lil more progress done this weekend. decided to start on the steering box relocation. i been dreading this part but honestly it wasnt that hard at all. hardest part is drilling the frame and then cutting the radiator support to fit the steerin box.

steering box in factory location... its way too far back to do any good.

marlin crawlers IFS box relocation bracket. gotta cut the front part of it to move the box forward

i put the rear steering box bolt sleeve into the factory hole that is covered up with the steering box in the factory location.. lined it all up and drilled the rest of the holes. seems like this will give me the clearence needed to run the box

another picture of the plate. the partial bolt hole poking out from under the plate is the original mounts so you can see how far forward i moved the box.

got clearence now. im thinkin bout running a flat pitman arm if i have room. gotta see once i get the truck together and flexed out to see how everything fits together.

a view of the radiator support area that i had to cut out to clearence. im gonna clean this area up some when i get some more time.

thats about all i got done this weekend. gonna finish welding everything up and bolting the steering box together. next up is the brakes and i gotta be figuring that one out soon. i gotta get this thing done soon.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM

aight i got a couple things done. got the bracket finally in position and welded up. and also finally got the box fitted. hoping to get the steering finished up this week and then get started on the brakes.

pic of the bracket welded into place. notice just ahead of the mount where i had to notch the frame for the nose of the steering box... it sure is a tight fit in there.

i really hope i can make a flat pitman arm fit here. i know im gonna need all the room for the springs i can get.

i gotta get the steering shaft lengthened and stuff and get it all hooked back up. hoping to get that done this week or weekend. its getting close to being done. just a few more steps.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM

had another one of those weekends where you work in circles and barely get anything done in the end. im in the middle of tying up all the loose ends as im waiting on a few big parts to show up so i can finish this rig.

since i had the radiator and all pulled out i decided to replace the belts and all. since it looks impossible to do with all the stuff in the way

tryin to figure out how to hook up the power steering lines. ended up having to cut off the end of the sleeves, and turned the bolts the other way to clear the radiator. and had to move the power steering line brackets to the back bottom bolt.

i wanted to see what i had to do to get the steering coloum hooked back up. this little adapter that came with the body lift wasnt long enough... hmmm plan B.

factory 89 steering shaft. has a rag joint and the springy looking section is the colapsible part.

steering shaft from the 82 yota i got the solid axle from. gonna use the knuckle part from this to make the steering shaft work.

i layed both shafts together and measured the length i needed to see where i needed to cut and still be able to re attach the shafts.

i slid the two peices together and test fit on the truck. it fit perfectly. then it got welded and painted

after i got the steering shaft together i got the radiator to fit. couldnt use the drop brackets that came with the 2 inch body lift so i had to put the radiator in the factory location and then cut my fan shroud.

now the truck has the front suspension apart on it again so i can put the new red poly bushings in it and get everything finish welded and painted. hopefully i can get my shocks here soon and get the brakes done.. this truck is basically almost done now.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 PM

aight so since the truck is so close to getting done im trying to work on it every minute i can to get loose ends tied up and the final build going. i only have a couple more steps to do to get this thing out on the trail, but i also gotta make sure everything gets done right. i just got off the phone with dave at Davez Offroad and my shocks will be shipped out probably tomorrow so hopefully ill get them on and the truck will be one step closer.

i snatched the front axle out from under the truck so i could finish welding the spring hanger and stuff on the truck and paint it all.

mmm weldzzz haha.

finally just finally i got red red bushings when i asked for them... stupid parts folks

i hope to have the front axle back under the truck sometime this week. once the shocks gets here i gotta finish dialing the suspension in. then its just brakes and driveshafts and it will be running... i cant wait
Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like it is coming along nicely. I don't have flat pitman arm at the shop. Sorry.

:wabbit2:

Quick Reply: 89 ext cab SAS