Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

1986 4Runner SAS Build Up!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 4Runner SAS Build Up!

Hello everyone... Newbie here

I currently have an 86' on 31' A/T and i know what kind of wheeling i want to do... I have started to do my research and learn what exactly a SAS Swap is... But i know for a FACT there is a ton more to be done in my eyes. So i want to just get a few suggestions from the more experienced people in here that know what there talking about in returns of what a SAS Swap is. I feel like the hardest part right now is where do i start when im ready to SAS for my 4Runner...? for example
  • Whats the best solid for my front end?
  • Will my truck be more stable and perform better if i went with full width axles?​​​​​​​
  • Whats the most common gearing for my SAS Build Up

(Little questions like those i need to find in research, So im really asking i am i doing everything i need to start doing to proceed in a SAS)
Old 12-24-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Will the truck be more stable than it was IFS? I would answer no. If you do a Toyota axle with 1.5 spacers in the front, it will Match your rear axle width but it will probably be higher, therefore less stable. But it will articulate more.
Full width or toyota? Usually toyota because most guys like keeping it Toyota, because you don't have to reweld spring perches on the axle, and you don't need adapters for driveshafts bolting to the flange of the axle, and your bolt pattern matches your wheels in the rear.
The most common gearing depends on your tire size. If your staying with 31s the 4.10 gear that likely will come in your Toyota axle is great. Other common gears are 4.88 (great for a 33-35" tire) and 5.29 (over 35")

Last edited by Toy(Yota); 12-24-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
All I can say is research and research then research some more. Even if you go with a kit. You need to have a basic idea of steering geometry and what works better for larger tires and how to verify it is set; castor angle in particular. You need to understand driveline angles and angles they operate at best. I didn’t like the end result height of off the shelf kits so I pieced mine together.

While you’re doing the research get out and wheel. Learn to pick lines.

I’ve seen several ppl with rigs that can outperform their Offroad skills. Generally doesn’t turn out well and hurts egos; which is rather funny Your ‘86 is capable in stock form.

The SAS was a lot of fun, cost a lot too.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:46 PM

Good advice, I also peiced mine together instead of using a kit, mind you my current rig is an 85 and already had a solid axle but I still had to do essentially the same amount of work for a SAS (hanger, IFSsteering box, new leafs and shackles, high steer etc)
Old 12-24-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool you got experience!!! Funny how most don’t realize that a SFA needs loads of work too.

if you don’t go with a yota axle go tons. You build a D44 and you’re gonna wish you’d gone D60 in the end. But depends on how you wheel. I don’t plan to go bigger than 37s ever. Some say built yota axles are good to 39s. I don’t care for the axles sticking out like full size will and may cause problems with cops depending where you live.

Rears up front is about the best front flex you’ll get with leafs. Loads of write ups.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:51 PM

Ive sas'ed 2 trucks and 3 Runners now with friends and they're all very impressed with RUF springs compared to their trail gear set ups.

Agreed, I would never go Dana 44 in my truck, because as soon as I did it, I would regret not going to a 60/14bolt

Either keep it Toyota or go big. I've personally ran 36s on stock toyota axles for 3 years and my friend has 38.5 military's on stock shafts for 2 years. And we wheel pretty hard.