Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Would you attend a Colorado Event like this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah if I had to choose between the two I know I would agree with Steve. There are plenty of places to stay if you wanted to fly out to CO and ride shot gun. I will most likely have a few open seats.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
If you go, you could drive here, we could drive to Albq. and then on to Co.
That would be cool, we can caravan up to CO. Since the only place I will be able to keep up with you is on the highway

Keep in mind there will be a Moab thing again, so you will have to weigh which one to make the journey for. That would be an easy call for me. Red Rocks all the way Baby.
Really? When, in the fall again? I would also have to say that Moab is awesome. But like you have said before, it's hard to compare CO to Moab or AZ for that matter. It's just different.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

There has been talk of Memorial Day again, I need to help Brown with his bumper and then in the fall like last year.

More than likely the same smallish group on Memorial Day. You still need driving lessons.........

Clutch lessons.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

There has been talk of Memorial Day again, I need to help Brown with his bumper and then in the fall like last year.

More than likely the same smallish group on Memorial Day. You still need driving lessons.........

Clutch lessons.
No, not really. With my new clutch, I can't slip it. It's in or out.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

You still need lessons.......
Old 03-30-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein

If I have a monster truck, I will do Iron Chest. Steve will, Steve will, Jim will, Brent will and who knows about other big trucks I have never met.
Have you actually ever seen this trail since the rocks were put back? I also read a trail report from Charles Well's last summer doing it on 35's. He made it sound ugly, he barley made it out without breakage.

It will need a pre-run. I would think a custom gas tank skid and custom rear control arms would be required. Unless you don't care about bombing them. Maybe the Marmot could pre-run it for us early summer.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Like I said Im not counting myself out yet.

Id really like to make this trip, never even been to CO. Plus it would be nice to meet a bunch of new faces.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Keep in mind there will be a Moab thing again, so you will have to weigh which one to make the journey for. That would be an easy call for me. Red Rocks all the way Baby.
Originally Posted by bwillie
Yeah if I had to choose between the two I know I would agree with Steve. There are plenty of places to stay if you wanted to fly out to CO and ride shot gun. I will most likely have a few open seats.
You both are right. If I had to choose between the two, Moab would probably win. I just don't know if I could do a fall Moab run (if it happens the same timeframe as last year) within 2-3 months of my permanent move and drive out west. We'll see when we get closer.

Thanks for the offer Brent.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did Iron Chest with 33's and IFS no problem. Hunt and Jeff were there too. It was fine. There were not a lot of huge rocks to put back and my truck should be bigger, so it is on the list. Without it, we really have to look elsewhere for a place because we would have an overflow on the moderate and scenic stuff.

My goal is scenic to be doable for a stocker, moderate to take one locker and harder to take two lockers. Because it will be in mass and some will worry about time, I would rather have a group that is a little over gunned for the trail so we can make good headway.

There will be no more than 10 rigs per trail. If we get full, that will bump to 12. If we need more than that, trails will be added.

MudMonkey, come on out, there will be something for everyone and a good time for all.

Tomichi Pass sounds like an adder. Just dug out the Wells book for even more ideas.

As for Moab, I will 99% sure be there in Oct. and may pass at Memorial Day, seems like my time and money may be better spent going back to Wisconsin to see my fam again. If I came, it would be to spot and take pics again, IFS is off the trail.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:33 PM
DJJ

I've done Tincup, Hancock, and Tomichi in a 96 Tacoma. About 2 years ago I did Mosquito in my current 2000 Tundra. All excellent trails and no body damage to either vehicle.

-DJJ
Old 03-31-2005, 07:06 PM

I will not allow anyone who is coming and fears body damage to put themselves in a position to get body damage.

The purpose of this is three fold.
1. Meet fellow Colorado Toyota enthusiasts
2. Wheel fun trails
3. Enjoy old friends and new

To do this, we will split into small groups for day trips and return to camp for supper, beer and assorted campfire hi-jinks. I hope that everyone can and does feel welcome.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I think I will be pretty prepared for the hardest trails, Marlin crawler dual ultimate should do the trick don't ya think?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Hotpants
I think I will be pretty prepared for the hardest trails, Marlin crawler dual ultimate should do the trick don't ya think?
It's all Martinez Canyon - Upper Woodpecker like. None of this is even close to Lower Terminator.

You'll be just fine. If you drive here, we can drive to Albq. and hook up with Jim and then continue onward.

Colorado is neat, it's completely different than AZ, CA and UT. All of these places are very unique. Yu guys will have have a really good time and if we break the drive up, it's will not be too bad.

You got a Band-Aids in Albq?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 PM

Arizona, Colorado and Moab are three different places with three different driving styles. Look at the old pics and video to see about crawling CO. Dave said they were having a good time working on your shiney rig.

There is a place, at least 10 times better than Bandaids down the road from Jim on 25 IIRC. It is really close to the interstate.

Tentative dates are August 12, 13 and 14. Optional wheeling can occur before and after. I have personal engagements until I get into camp Thursday night after work.

Look for exact trails, sign up and a website soon, I have been getting killed at the office lately.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

its lookin like 75% chance of me going now. The more I think about it, the easier the decision gets.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
There is a place, at least 10 times better than Bandaids down the road from Jim on 25 IIRC. It is really close to the interstate.
I don't know about that? Is it an outstanding value? Do the tops stay off even after the dance is over? Band-Aids also has that outstanding ambience which can not be duplicated.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JadeRunner
I also read a trail report from Charles Well's last summer doing it on 35's. He made it sound ugly
Wells makes EVERYTHING sound ugly!! If I used his rating system to decide what to run I'd end up staying home.

If ya'll want to run Iron Chest, Keep an eye on the thread on Colorado4x4.org and check on the trail reports. Also it's low enough in elevation that it could be prerun as early as June.

Jake.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

You got a Band-Aids in Albq?
I'm sure we can accomodate...lol
Old 04-01-2005, 04:55 AM

Wells rates Iron Chest and Mount Antero difficult.

Come on up Casey, it is always a good time.

I am stuck with GayFS and will have to do more pre-hiking than pre-running for this, but I am pretty confident of trail selection so far.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:12 AM

Ok, I'll let the Iron Chest thing die, until a pre-run has been completed. FYI, the Wells report I was referring too wasn't from his book, just someone posting his report from last summer on the web.

Let's go with Chalk Creek again and work all the options. Personally, I would like to do, Holy Cross, Chinamans and Grizzly Creek (a short family\fishing\picnic kind of thing on Sunday).

Quick Reply: Would you attend a Colorado Event like this?