Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Washington area run, March 15th, Newbies welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinkham Rd. WA run, March 15th, Newbies Welcome

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to schedule a run on March 15th somewhere in the general Seattle area. I'm relatively new to the sport, and want to avoid going out on runs by myself. I'm hoping to get other people with basic vehicles to do some tamer runs, maybe a couple of folks with more experience to act as guides. My guess is that there are a few of us in Washington wishing they had friends who liked to go off-roading as well, so here's your chance! This would be great practice for the Jamboree Corey is gettting together for this summer!

Sounds like we've decided on a place and date, Tinkam on the 15th, check back for updates on time/place.

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 02-27-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:36 PM

Hey Mad Chemist,
that sounds like a good idea. I would like to join who ever would like to go on a little run....Maybe in the snow? Sounds like fun. Where were you thinking of going?

Salue
Old 02-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure- I've not really done any "real" runs in WA, mostly forest service roads for the most part, and am open to suggestions.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:35 PM

I dunno if I'll be able to join you all...but Tahuya is a pretty tame area. In general just some big water crossings (if it's rainy). I don't know if they get much snow there though. Otherwise it is still a fun area that will make you want to wheel some more.

There are some pics over here...
http://www.wattora.com/
...under the Past Events section.

Jim
Old 02-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

I might be talked into such a thing... Where do you want to go?
Old 02-26-2003, 08:03 PM

Is there any area around Tinkham/Denny Creek(off I90 near exit 42/47?)that we can play around?

Salue
Old 02-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Salue
Is there any area around Tinkham/Denny Creek(off I90 near exit 42/47?)that we can play around?

Salue
Absolutely!

Tinkham Road itself has a fun trail network, but I am not sure how much snow there is.

Gardner Mountain is one of my favorite after work runs in the Summer time. Nothing too outragous but some entertaining little hill climbs and some stellar views. The Avatar or photo in the corner of my post and the opening photo on my site were taken on Gardner. Again I don't know what the snow cover looks like now.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:09 PM

ooohh...I wanna go! Count me in.
I saw the exit to Tinkam Road and FS 9030 on the way to the Summit at Snoqualmie last Sunday.
Rob I heard you mentioned Tinkam a couple of times. I'd like to check it out.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Its been a couple of weeks since I've been up the pass, so I'm not sure of the snow pack either (I think they just got some recently. It sounds like it might be a fun place to go. I think I've taken the Tinkham exit before and fooled around a little bit, but not gotten in too far. Couldn't hurt to have a couple of options and see how the weather plays out.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Where are these places you are all talking about located? If you decide on a definite place and time, Ill be there with my Runner and my friend with his Heep. (and ill even remember the water this time Rob, and ill forget the boy..haha)
Old 02-27-2003, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

DeathCougar,

The Tinkham road we are talking about is west of Seattle on I-90, somewhere between exits 40-50 (the exit sign says Tinkham Rd., so its hard to miss). Anybody have any idea how much snow might be up there?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by WATRD
Absolutely!

Tinkham Road itself has a fun trail network, but I am not sure how much snow there is.
Again I don't know what the snow cover looks like now.
I'll let you know. I was planning on exploring a bit today, with all my free-time...

Of course a lot could change in a couple weeks.

Jim
Old 02-27-2003, 02:11 PM

Ok...the snow is still there if you go high up. Rob, I'm not sure how far up you usually go...still need to have someone show me around one of these days.

It's nothing like what was at Tonga, and the main road is pretty tame. The only thing you have to worry about is ice. I didn't go up too far...didn't feel like getting stuck. Went back down to the powerline roads and followed them around. On one of those I found a neat hill-climb everyone will have to try. I just followed the tire ruts that were there and the ice held me up.

I did get some pics, and I'll get around to posting them in a little bit.
Jim
Old 02-27-2003, 02:12 PM

"...ice held me up..."

Meant that the ice stopped me from going further. Boy it sure is fun backing down a steep hill... :pat:

Jim
Old 02-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Did you get as far as the gate to the watershed? That's where Gene and I elected to turn around last time because of the ice.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:34 PM

That's what I mean...what's the "watershed"?

I took the main road up and stopped at the point where there is a tiny rock-garden (nothing hardcore) on the left. It's the place that looks like the beginning of a trail but it doesn't lead anywhere.

Can you describe the watershed?

Jim
Old 02-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

It's a very attractive looking road leading off to the left from the main drag with a chainlink gate across it and a sign that says "Property of City of Seattle - Cedar Watershed - Trespassers will spend the rest of their lives in jail" or something to that effect. It's about 1/3rd of the way up the main drag.

I think I know where you are talking about, that is where we road tested Gene's locker when he first got it. That is only a mile or two up the road from the trestle.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:05 PM

I forgot to mention that I saw your boat (at least I hope it was the same one...that would be real sad if there was more than one), just remembered while I was looking through the pics.

I'll have the link ready shortly...

Jim
Old 02-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

hahhahaha If it had an obscenity spray-painted on the side and a hole in the transom just big enough to snake a strap through, then that was the one hehehhe
Old 02-27-2003, 03:26 PM

Ok...here are the pics...
Some turned out better than others, darn shadows...

http://home.attbi.com/~jruz/pics/tin...l/FrameSet.htm

Enjoy,
Jim

Quick Reply: Washington area run, March 15th, Newbies welcome