Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Utah: White Rim (Canyonlands) trip report (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah: White Rim (Canyonlands) trip report (Pics)

In an effort to make up for a severe lack of work here by our resident Utah folks (hint, hint! ), here's a report of one of Utah's best, in my opinion, the White Rim Road. It is about 90 unpaved miles, and actually it's a 2WD road, but the scenery is magnificent as it tours much of the Island In The Sky District of Canyonlands NP. I ran it a few weeks back with a good Jeep friend of mine. That's alright, his TJ is modded pretty extensively, and that's pretty good in my book.

I know most 'wheelers who venture out to the Moab area like to do some harder stuff, or at least something that requires 4WD, but I highly recommend this route if you want a more casual and scenery-filled trail. We did it in one day, from sunrise to sunset, but two, or even three days to spend on it would be ideal.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from our trip.

If you want to read and see more about this and want the full meal deal, I have 212 (yep, that's correct) more pictures and a few videos here:

http://mycolorado.org/images/white_rim/
Old 05-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the pics. White Rim and Lockhart Basin are probably my two favorite trails in the area as far as scenery goes. Fairly easy trails with stunning surroundings. One day is a long haul for that trail, I think we did it in two long days with lots of stops for pictures.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

You betcha! I'm actually working on Lockhart's report right now. That, and Chicken Corners are next.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Darren-

You keep adding to the places that my wife and I need to go. Thanks a lot

As always, sweet pics!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Darren, nice pix. I've seen the White Rim trail from above and it always looked interesting.

I'm anxious to see your Chicken Corner pix. That's a fun drive and interesting pass to climb over to get out there.

Mick
Old 05-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Man i love the scenery of the West.

your pics look professional
Old 05-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, guys!

Mick, I finished my Chicken Corners report last night. You may view it here:

http://mycolorado.org/images/chicken_corners/index.htm

I have a few pics from Hurrah Pass on there as well. What, you thought that was an "interesting" drive to the pass?! That's a wide country road! Surely you've been on tighter stuff. I will take this to mean you probably didn't walk the trail around Chicken Corner, then? I did. Pretty fun!

I hope to have the Lockhart Basin report finished today or tonight sometime.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:52 PM

Darren,

Nice to see you on this forum too! Great pictures...
Old 05-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, Scott! Nice to see me over here? Other way around, I think! I'm the one who has been here for awhile! Glad you found your way over.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Great pictures, as always, Darren!

Maybe this summer, we'll both have time for you to add more trails to your New Mexico page...
Old 05-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Darren,

Very nice pix and write up. No, you're right, we didn't walk the trail at the end. Actually there were some interesting floaters drifting by about that time...heh, heh. May go to the Maze section next trip to Canyonlands.

BTW, have you spent any time in Grand Staircase Escalante? Great exploring and hiking. Clicky
Keep up the good work.

Mick
Old 05-04-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As always, Darren has the best pics.

My brother and father flew into Needles Outpost and wheeled out a couple years back, but I was sick and missed out. They were on some of the trails mentioned and had an awesome time. Just amazing scenery. With Moab, Arches, Bryce, Zion, Capital Reef and The Grand in close proximity, relatively at least, it would be hard not to spend a couple months there looking around for a good time.

I think it would be cool to have a photo series called "Cool Place Darren has Taken his Rig:The Sweetest Pictures Ever." It could be a photo essay of sorts that no one could beat.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Jayson, something more to add to the New Mexico side of things would be great! We'll see if we're able work up anything. I definitely enjoyed our run last summer.

Mick, I've not been to Grand Staircase Escalante yet, but it is on the list. I, too, would like to spend some time in the Maze like Jay ("transalper") just completed. I'm also wanting to hit the 4 trails in the Needles, which I may be doing in the next month or so, but not sure yet.

Adrian, as always I'm flattered by your words! They're always amusing and are sure to bring a . There are a few other folks that would put up a hard fight. Baja Chris and Scott Brady (above), among others. I am blessed to live near a lot of action, and definitely don't take it for granted. And actually, as of yesterday, I decided I'm definitely going to pick up a camcorder to assist me in my trip reports and for entertaining viewing at home. Just gotta do a bit more research on the matter as I don't really know anything about them yet.

And for those keeping score at home, and for another one for Mark to add to his list, here's the last of 3 trails in the immediate area that I'll put up here, and one that actually requires 4WD!:

Lockhart Basin

To the outsider, all the scenery might very well be looking all the same by now, but to be sure, they all offer their own unique views and experiences.

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like we will be heading out that way in July on our way to (or from) Ouray. I know, HOT! Thanks for the photos and writeup. You are helping us set our travel agenda.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mark
Thanks Darren!!! Great report.

Are there any good resources on New Mexico trails? FunTreks doesn't have anything. I've not located anything else. Always looking to expand.
Hey Mark-

The only decent link I have is here. This guys write-ups are pretty good. There are actually a lot more trails out there, but not much web-documentation that I've been able to find. If you search for 'Las Cruces Rock Crawling' and 'Farmington Rock Crawling' you should be able to find some good stuff on national level hardcore competitions held in those areas. There's actually quite a bit to do in the Farmington area, besides the hardcore stuff. I just need to scope it out more. Jim and I have talked in the past about trying to organize a NM4RJ...we need to talk about it more seriously at some point and I should also mention that this run-on paragraph is espicially for Adrian.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:18 PM

looks beautiful, that's some good pics. i'll be in the maze the last week of july, cant wait--i'll get some pics to share as well, but they're definately not gonna look as good as those :p.

what's the needles district like, terribly difficult? from the pictures in the moab/canyonlands 4wd book, elephant hill didnt look too rough, how's the trail? anything in the needles or island in the sky district that's a definite must-see?

thanks

-sean
Old 06-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Sean, welcome to the board!

Hope you have fun out there in a month. Should be nice and TOASTY! I wouldn't be opposed to being out there in the summer, though, either.

I assume you have your itinerary all set for the Maze, but you might enjoy reading Jay's ("transalper" on the board) report of his trip there from not too long ago. I thought he posted his report here, but don't see it, but here's the link on 4WDTrips.net. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to talk about that trip or give you further ideas if you need them.

I haven't taken any roads in the Needles yet. I was thinking about doing them about a month ago, but that didn't pan out. I think I'll go back around October. I really want to run Elephant Hill. Here's a report on it that you will enjoy.

As for Island in the Sky, White Rim would be the ultimate, with Lockhart Basin (linked above) being right behind it. Be sure to post your report when you get back!

Quick Reply: Utah: White Rim (Canyonlands) trip report (Pics)