Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Tierra Del Sol 4x4 club's 44th annual TDS Safari @ Truckhaven

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
I have been unable to download the acrobat reader. Couldn't just tell me?
From thier PDF file:
Pre-Registrations were $45.00 up until 2/20
On-Site Registration is $60.00

All 4X4 vehicles and occupants must be registered to participate.
Street Legal Four Wheel Drive Vehicles Only

MANDITORY REQUIRMENTS:

1. Four Wheel Drive Vehicle
2. Roll bor or metal top
3. Seat belt for each occupant
4. Functional emergency brake or Mico-Lock
5. Muffler(s) - No Open Headers
6. Fire extinguisher
7. Tow rope, strap, cable, chain or winch.

RECOMENDED:

1. First Aid kit
3. Serviceable spare
3. CB Radio

All 4X4 vehicles must meet the mandatory vehicle safety requirements.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks I appreciate it. Looks like I missed the pre-registration.
It's still a bit steep for me at the moment.

Since it is a public area, I will probably go have some fun on my own. But I will not "crash" the event, attend the drawing, or use the porta potties to keep it fair.

Looks like a fun area.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:03 PM

Thanks I appreciate it. Looks like I missed the pre-registration.
It's still a bit steep for me at the moment.

Since it is a public area, I will probably go have some fun on my own. But I will not "crash" the event, attend the drawing, or use the porta potties to keep it fair.

Looks like a fun area.

The Truckhaven area is fun, mostly a series of washes and kinda’ mud (dry most of the time) hills. It is a fun area with access to a lot more.

Just to the west within a few minutes to 40 minutes in Anza Borrego are the entrance to Calcite Mine, The Truckhaven Trail, the Arrroyo Salado, and Font’s Point. All offer stunning views and fun. Arroyo Salado (and Tule Wash to the Pumpkin Patch) and Font’s point are easy.

Our plan is to run the easy path through the TDS event in the AM and then go someplace else in the PM . . .then head back for the fun at night.

Other information for those who want to know:
          Old 02-27-2006, 01:59 PM

mmmmmm superburger that place kicks arse.....
          Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by wifesaysimadumbass
          mmmmmm superburger that place kicks arse.....
          I was there like a month ago, new owners and the food sucked big time. Couln't even eat it!!!!

It was once a favorite place to stop! as soon as Pedro sells, I'll go back.

Ever been to the Mexican/Pizza place around the corner?
          Old 02-27-2006, 05:07 PM
          Contributing Member

anyone that wants a 60" brand-new Hilift jack and is willing to trade me their 48" good/fair condition hilift can do so at the event. The 60" will require too much fabbing for something like a jack to make it fit in my 5" bed.
          Old 02-27-2006, 05:27 PM

Despite whether people pay or not, we will all get together as a Yotatech group right?

I paid up only because I have never been on the trails down there with the TDS group and thought it might be interesting to see what they are running and how they do it.

HOWEVER...I am more interested in trail running with guys from here (smaller group).

I guess I will play everything by ear and see what looks good/bad when I get there.

Channel 17 is fine with me.

Let's plan on having our own camp group but not resticting ourselves to a different area from TDS. I'm sure they will be heaps of fun - I assume they all get together around a communal fire/s?

It would be ideal to have a GPS location for our own group to meet up but I guess unless someone knows the area REALLY well, it will be hard to state it exactly. I do hope we can find each other in the crowds I'm expecting. I know when the 120Forum group went down there last time, some people had trouble hooking up intially.

Cheers
          Mark

Last edited by Expat; 02-27-2006 at 05:29 PM.
          Old 02-27-2006, 05:53 PM
          Contributing Member

Just catching up on the posts today.

I have mixed feelings about the organized runs. I have no problem paying the $60 to register. What I am having trouble getting over is the mass of people and how long that means the line for runs and length of time it will take to do simple easy runs.

IMHO more than 15 rigs in a line on any given trails is a snails pace. I really am not going for the raffle and venders. I just want to wheel and camp in good company.
          Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 PM

I actually enjoy the pace of the organized runs, gives me a chance to look around see the plants, animals and geological formations at a nice slow pace. At superstition I met a cutie in a jeep wrangler!! This rain ought to make it muddy, which I love messing around in. I'm more about exploring new places, then challenging my capabilities.
          Old 02-27-2006, 09:46 PM

Whats up with all the CB numbers. This post is like a retards convention. Somebody pick a random number that no one else is going to be using and be done with that ordeal. I don't know if i'm the odd one out here or what, but i'm 110% with Seth. I have a hard enough time paying for college let alone getting the money for gas to go wheelin'. Theres no way in hell i can (let alone will) pay 45-60 dollars to wheel behind a huge group of HEEPS (i speak from personal experience). Why so much again? Do i get my own personal port-o-potty? I'm pretty sure they are around $65 dollars a day. And how much did my TDS sticker cost to make? I just don't understand the need for so much cash to exchange hands here. I don't want to crash anyones party, so i'm down for shiittin' in the desert the old fashion style with a shovel in my right hand and a piece of cactus in my left. After that i want to wheel with some friends and not have to worry about fighting with other wheelers 'cause i am a poor 21 year old trying to better myself with an education. I guess this is turning into a sport for the rich just like everything else now-a-days.

Last edited by TJMatt; 02-27-2006 at 09:47 PM.
          Old 02-27-2006, 10:40 PM

TJMatt - I don't know you but here's a few observations.

- Someone (034Runner) has picked a random number for the cb channel. I don't think anyone has complained or questioned the choice of channel no 17 for the comms. Logic is that Channel 22 will be busy with TDS so if we are to meet up as a group another channel (17) is logical. No problem there!

- No one has said you have to pay anything. Leave it up to each individual whether they want to pay. No problem there!

- Use the desert to leave your excreta if you want. Porta Potties are taken away for correct santitary discard. Digging a hole with a shovel is great if you truely do it properly (deep, away from walk paths and well traveled trails, away from ferral animals that may dig it up....yada yada) your choice - No problem there!

- Again no-one is making you pay anything other than your own costs (gas/food etc) and no-one is making you buy T-shirts, caps, raffle tickets - so unless your own costs are excessively high it ain't no rich man's hobby (sport??)

- much of the cost of the TDS event (to which this thread is focussed and you are particpating in - note it is not a Yotatech Anza Borrego Run thread per se) goes towards management and maintainance of the trails. If you have ever worked on maintaining a trail you know there are costs. I am not assiociated with TDS in any way other than the fact I am participating for the first time ever and want to see what they offer. I may in fact not even do a single event with them but I am willing to check it out. That's my choice. No-one made me. If you felt like you wanted to contribute towards the maintainence of the trails its your choice too.

- No-one will turn anyone away just because they didn't pay. Hell it is a public area after all.

I don't see what you are getting all twisted about!

The thread title is clear TDS Safari - if you'd rather not particpate in the Safari...well....don't.

Nuff said?
          Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 PM

Oh - I do hope you were joking about this - "If not, I'm dragging it behind my soon to be toyota, taking it to the desert and burning it." That's why costs keep going up - cleaning up other people's messes.
          Old 02-27-2006, 10:58 PM

Like someone else said earlier - let's not let money get in the way of doing some wheeling.

Get down there, get together and have some fun - some may wheel with TDS and others will only do Yotatech runs and others might do both - whatever floats ya boat.
          Old 02-28-2006, 04:52 AM
          Contributing Member

This is getting silly...I feel like I need to put my .2 in now....

I am sure some of the funds go towards the desert, but at $45-$65 per person Tierra Del Sol is not a non-profit organization. I had no problem paying to wheel with the Heeps at Superstition 8, but that was about 1/2 the cost.

I understand what all of you are saying. All of us have different financial obligations, and obviously from the look of some of your rigs, some of us have money to burn.

I plan on wheeling on Sat, just not sure where yet. I may leave the Truckhaven area and head through the desert to Ocotillo Wells.

Matt--you need to change your signature. DB

Last edited by Marc P; 02-28-2006 at 04:56 AM.
          Old 02-28-2006, 06:54 AM
          Contributing Member

Okay, I think I'm going to go out this Saturday, and I'd love to wheel with some yotatech'ers.

But.

I won't be caught dead at truckhaven with 10,000 of my closest friends. So here's what I'm thinking, and I'd like to get a feel if you want to be there too.

Meet up at Font's point early Saturday morning (it's the easiest, least crowded meet up point), run Font's as a warm up to Tule wash, head south down to the cut over wash to Pumpkin Patch, do that, then see where we are with capabilities and ambition, then we can either hit up South Pumpkin (not a real name, but I don't know what to call it) which is a bit more challenging, or we could head over to gas domes and play in the hills, or we could head over to upper Devil's slide area for some slow crawling fun.

I'm looking forward to hearing some replies. Either way, I'm going to go out on Saturday and blow around Ocotillo.

I especially want to hear back from some of the 4th gen'ers and Deathrunner since I've been blowing him off for last few trips!

** I won't really be around today to reply, so if I don't get back to any replies, don't take offense**

Last edited by Jared; 02-28-2006 at 06:57 AM.
          Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 AM
          Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc P
          This is getting silly...I feel like I need to put my .2 in now....
          If it helps, you can think of this as a big, fun fundraiser for keeping the trails open for all of us in the future. I don't have bricks of $100 bills in my closet or anything but I am choosing to pay and therefore make a donation towards a hobby/sport that I can enjoy with some friends. Nobody has to justify whether they're paying because the area is free. I don't really plan on wheeling with the jeeps, but I think the money is supporting a good cause. Like somebody said before, there'll be groups for all tastes of wheeling from extreme to sightseeing. You don't need a souped-up rig to have fun, just go with the intent of having a good time and I'm sure you will. There's a couple sigths in the Octillo Wells area e.g. Pumpkin patch that a 4x2 could probably get to. Like everything else, you make it what you want it to be.
          Old 02-28-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          I'm definitely going out friday and heading back saturday afternoon. It's gotta be a short weekend for em this time.

I was excited to check out truckhaven and wheel somewhere new.but it sounds to be crowded and I don't want to get in the way of paying wheelers. I'd rather not spend too much time in Ocotillo Wells, but I am not against ending up there.

Maybe we should start a new thread for the "non paying" wheelers of March 3-5. I'm thinking we could camp with the yota crew, fart around at truckhaven for alittle bit, then take trails out to pumpkin patch area.

At this point it sounds that some of us aren't going to be part of the "Safari" so we probably shouldn't take up space here or ruin anyone's time because of our poverty. Maybe that will keep things calm enough to allow for a combined "TDS Safari" and "Poor Man's Yotatech" campsite. Any thoughts?
          Old 02-28-2006, 07:49 AM
          Contributing Member

stay within the range of my CB and I'll ride with ya...

Edit: I have a map of the Anza area

Last edited by dfireballd; 02-28-2006 at 07:52 AM.
          Old 02-28-2006, 09:26 AM
          Contributing Member

I'm definitely going out friday and heading back saturday afternoon. It's gotta be a short weekend for em this time.

I was excited to check out truckhaven and wheel somewhere new.but it sounds to be crowded and I don't want to get in the way of paying wheelers. I'd rather not spend too much time in Ocotillo Wells, but I am not against ending up there.

Maybe we should start a new thread for the "non paying" wheelers of March 3-5. I'm thinking we could camp with the yota crew, fart around at truckhaven for alittle bit, then take trails out to pumpkin patch area.
          I actually was planning to go out anyway this weekend, before I even bothered to check when TDS was. I'm down to go anywhere on Saturday as long as I'm not waiting in line for the good part of the day. I'll start another thread so we don't completely hijack this one.
          Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 AM

Expat- I in no way am trying to start a Yotatech tussle over this event. My reply was in short to Dennis Dawg about people trying to "crash the party." I was just slightly offended from his post and i felt a small ammount of hostility was directed toward those of us who cannot afford this event. I was probably wrong about this as i look back now. With the whole dragging my jeep into the desert and burning it: First, it was a joke to show how i feel about jeeps at this time in my life. Second, i have an AA in Biology with another year or so to complete a B.A. in Ecological Biology, so i am in strong support of keeping nature as pure as possible and would never agree with the intentional harm of our planet and/or its ozone(by lugging a peice of trash or scrap into the desert and abandoning it). I further apologize if i offended anyone by my post as i was slightly intoxicated during the time of its composition.

Quick Reply: Tierra Del Sol 4x4 club's 44th annual TDS Safari @ Truckhaven