Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

San Diego wheeling trip overdue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego wheeling trip overdue! NEW PICS ADDED

All these pics of other people wheeling is starting to make me a little crazy. I think we are due for at least a Carveacre run or ?? Lets here some ideas of times and places.

Last edited by Marc P; 06-14-2004 at 07:09 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 05-18-2004, 07:32 PM

i was just thinking the same thing! i need to get at least one more trip in before my wife gets too pregnant to chase the kids while dads away.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Marc P
All these pics of other people wheeling is starting to make me a little crazy. I think we are due for at least a Carveacre run or ?? Lets here some ideas of times and places.
Carsten is picking up a trailer hitch from me sometime this weekend, I was thinking of screwing around at hanglider, but something better/longer would be fun. It just sucks, because Marc works saturdays and I work sundays, so we will have to figure something out. Hey Mikey, I'm shooting for sometime saturday am for carsten to cruise by. Let me know if you want to check out hanglider, not very long, but definitely a test for your lockers!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:49 PM

If everyone can escape their families, how about an afternoon/twilight run?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

I only work 1-2 sat per month--what about Memorial weekend??
Old 05-19-2004, 05:42 AM

I only work 1-2 sat per month--what about Memorial weekend??
I think I'm off that fri and sat, not sure of any plans yet. A twilight run would be cool too, it's not getting dark until 8pm lately. What trails are we considering?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:16 PM

"All these pics of other people wheeling is starting to make me a little crazy."
Me too, but me weekends are pretty packed. I'm in Vegas Memorial weekend, I am also out three next weekends too. Got too many parties lined up this weekend for evening runs.
C
Old 05-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Memorial weekend is open for me, but I just found out today that my rear locker won't engage. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow to figure it out. I know it has to do something in the electrical, since no power is getting to the motor.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:33 AM

i might be able to sneak off for a day on memorial day weekend but this weekend i think is out
Old 05-20-2004, 03:47 PM

As long as I know 2 weeks ahead, I can get time off work.

How about Corral Canyon? Anyone been there? Looks like its not that much further than Carveacre.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

So lets make a run Memorial Day weekend. I would rather not go to the desert--what about Los Coyotes?? or will it be too crowded there? It may be hard to find a spot that is not crowded--other than Carveacre.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:47 AM

So lets make a run Memorial Day weekend. I would rather not go to the desert--what about Los Coyotes?? or will it be too crowded there? It may be hard to find a spot that is not crowded--other than Carveacre.
Los coyotes would be fun, that place has a lot of options. Or we could post here-clicky-and really go off.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

A little far for a day run
Old 05-22-2004, 06:08 PM

sidewinder?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Sidewinder--I think that area will be overun with atv's that weekend. I will look at my book tonight and make a plan. I may just want to hit Carveacre and Hanglider.

I think we should go on Sat.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:27 PM

Sidewinder--I think that area will be overun with atv's that weekend. I will look at my book tonight and make a plan. I may just want to hit Carveacre and Hanglider.

I think we should go on Sat.
Yeah, Sat will probably be better. As for sidewinder, I'm not even sure we can run that, it has a very difficult rating.SoCal offroad guide reads: Difficult.Steep,unforgiving rock slabs and boulders.Lockers and high ground clearance a must. Not for stock vehicles.Very hot in summer.Watch for snakes and poison oak.

I also just noticed that the "Just Runs" group will be going to Los Coyotes Rez on 5/30, except thats a Sun and won't work for me.

Last edited by RobT2k; 05-23-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:05 PM

Kinda off topic... but do any of you guys have the TOPO! software for San Diego? If you do, I highlighted all/most of the trails in the SD area. I had them marked with waypoints from the trail books but I lost the waypoint file when one of my harddrives crashed.

The only trail I don't really have highlighted is Hanglider since the topographical map for the software was from the 70's and things looked a bit different.

Here's the file with the highlighted trails
http://sdairsoft.tripod.com/all_san_diego_trails.tpo

Here's what it looks like
Old 05-24-2004, 06:00 AM

i thought you guys ran sidewinder along time ago, i will talk to my one buddy who works at m.i.t. he's always going somewhere after work so maybe he has someplace new
Old 05-24-2004, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by wifesaysimadumbass
i thought you guys ran sidewinder along time ago, i will talk to my one buddy who works at m.i.t. he's always going somewhere after work so maybe he has someplace new
Thats cool, hopefully he does have something new for us. I've never ran Corral canyon area at all, but here are some pics of the different obstacles here-Pics
I'm not sure which ones are sidewinder, it seems like the harder obstacles are on bronco peak. This one is sidewinder and doesn't look too bad-

There is also Los pinos lookout trail there,which is moderate, so it wouldn't be the only option once we're there. But Marc may be right about the ATV's swarming the place.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

I think due to time issues--we should hit Carveacre backwards then those who want can play on Hanglider hill. I would rather go to one of the other sites on a non-holiday weekend.

So what about meeting in Alpine midmorning on Sat??

Quick Reply: San Diego wheeling trip overdue!