Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

San Diego/ So CA wheeling shooting camping

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego/ So CA wheeling shooting camping

I'm gonna try to recruit some yotatechers again for this. Last time it was just me and a few non yotatechers and it rained and snowed a little but was still fun. I am going to try and be more organized and sleep over this time.

Who: The more the merrier
What: Wheelin, shooting, possibly hiking, BBQ, big ass bon fire, camping, whatever you want really.
When: Saturday Feb 3 2007 - Sunday Feb 4 2007 and maybe Friday night if anyone cares to go.
Where: South East SD county in the Jacumba mountains InKoPah area.
Why: Should be lots of fun.

I'll be going with my girlfriend and some friends if anyone wants to join us you are more than welcoma and if you just want a quick trip from SD for Sat that should be fun too. I have a few boxes of clay birds. I will set up a meeting point if there is any interest in coming here.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 PM

what kind of wheeling terrain? IE would i do well in it with out sliders, and an open rear diff?

its along way down there, so well see if i can make it, just wanted to know what the terrain was like.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

you would be fine without a locker or sliders. 4x4 open diff or 2wd locked should be fine. Its not very difficult, and the spots that are, you can just go around. There is some long high speed trails, lots of rock gardens, and some washed out trails. My buddy took his stock 06tacoma with open diffs and no sliders last time. He is gonna come again. It's a long way to come, but I guarantee you will enjoy yourself. Plus you can bring your guns and shoot all you want. There are some pics here on yotatech just search for valley of the moon.

There is one very difficult trail that would be optional, and I will only attempt it if someone else comes with me with a built truck. I attempted it pre lift and locker and couldn't make it, but I've seen some jeeps make it. Very steep, on a cliff and some squeeze spots that could give possible body damage.

We will prabably leave Sunday morning to get back in time for the game.

Last edited by spaugh; 01-21-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

have fun brad....i'm on call that weekend so I have to stay near my computer
Old 01-22-2007, 06:40 PM

DAMMIT! I'm supposed to be goin out this weekend and two weekends in a row might be hard to swing. I assume since there really isn't that much wheeling to do out there that this will mostly be a camping trip? What will you be shooting? Just shotguns?

For anyone going that hasn't been there I highly recommend that you bring your camera and plan on doing some hiking amongst the rocks. It may sound funny but the rocks out there really are alot prettier when it rains. I used to camp out there all the time but haven't been for years.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Well, there isn't many miles of trails, but there are a some fun scenic trails and like I said before there is one extremely challenging trail that I have yet to make it through, but am willing to try again. Plus there is some cool caves and stuff and giant rocks to drive on. It's gonna be a good time.

Guns I own: some 22 rifles, mini 14, SKS, some 12 guages, HK USP .40, ruger 22 pistol.

Ive got a 1000 rounds of 7.62 and 1000 rounds of .223 and 270 clay birds and a spring loaded tosser!

Depending on interest here, I can bring some or all of the guns I own.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Brad- have you considered hitting the north side? I was over there once and found a very solid 4x trail, probly not needing sliders but it had some very solid sections i will try to make it out for a day and maybe a night!
Mike
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 PM

what time are you guys meeting up there. this would be my first trip with yota people .. i really want to come

Last edited by KUMAdrift; 01-24-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Que onda miguelitro? you mean north side of the 8? I'm down if it isn't too far.

I think between 9 and 10 am depart from SD should be good. I will update with time/location details on the first post next week.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:26 PM

I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, I would really love to go tho!!! I'll let you guys know that week!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:27 PM

sorry, i didnt intro myself. my name is darwin from long beach, ca and ive been wheelin for a couple months now... and had the 4runner for about 6months... if its alright with you..can i tag along with ya for a day... gotta see the super bowl ya know.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

^ no worries, we'll be leaving early style sunday too by the way.

Where is the rest of the SD crew, no interest huh? Dammit, almost got Ryan to come last time and Josh seems to be a good candidate for this kind of thing.

Last edited by spaugh; 01-24-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 PM

you had to put the "just got out of prison" part in there huhh? lol
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by spaugh
Que onda miguelitro? you mean north side of the 8? I'm down if it isn't too far.

I think between 9 and 10 am depart from SD should be good. I will update with time/location details on the first post next week.
perfecto! We could hit the north side. if we keep moving and dont stop to take poser pics on every 6 inch ledge like the TTORA crew then it would probly take only a couple hours and we could then jam over to the inkopah side...

actually the wheeling is better over there and there is a really killer campground where you can what ever you want. also the road down to the old mountain springs site is fun and SUPER sketch side of the cliff. last time i was there i saw a big herd of Borregos, pretty cool.

I'm down for what ever though...just want to get out

Team Bad Habits will be representing
Old 01-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
roughly how long of a drive is it from pasadena/los angeles?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

I'm only 3wd right now so until I can get a working CV in there, I'm out.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Mike, I'm contemplating how to deal with the stock truck factor. I think we may go for a few hours and join up with my buddies around 1 or 2 and spend the rest of the day BSing with them. It will all work out.

Bob, 195 miles give or take a few. Kind of a long trip from north LA

Ryan, autozone...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Autozone doesn't have Long-Travel modified ADD Tundra axles, Brad
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

^ sounds pricey, how did that break?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Was replacing the boot and when I went to put it back together something's turned out to be f'd up in the inner end and it'll hardly move. Can't even bend it enough to fit into the spindle.

Quick Reply: San Diego/ So CA wheeling shooting camping