Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

San Diego desert trip in November!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this weekend or next?????
Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by benthere25
this weekend or next?????
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I personally am going out this weekend, because I can't make it next weekend when Yotatech (this thread) and TTORA are planning to be out there.

Now if me saying it was going to be busy while I was there made it seem like I was talking about the Yotatech and TTORA weekend, sorry. Anything in the Anza Borrego desert is busy once it drops below 90 degrees F.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
Where is Truckhaven or the nearest town so I can mapquest it?
Sorry. Not as smart as I wish I was. Googled it and found it. I thought Truckhaven was just a trail name. No problem gettin there. I think It will be a Fri night and Sat trip leaving Sat night or early Sun.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by deathrunner
Yes, but more evil
Nice paint jobs Death! Might have you do one of my Gibson Goths some time when I get tired of the satin black.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darx
Nice paint jobs Death! Might have you do one of my Gibson Goths some time when I get tired of the satin black.
That would be a fun shape to do. I'm working oin a green swirled warlock right now. The exotic shapes take on a life of thier own. But those othics look sic as is. So are you comin next weekend or not?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

You guys better go. You can't miss the first run of the season!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

I'm 100% on this run. Leaving Friday morning and heading back Saturday night. Marc I'll give you a phone call to see how things are going Wed.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Happy Birthday Marc!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:54 PM

Yeah Marc happy B-day, how was Def Leppard?

I know they're no Journey, but you take what you can get right?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys...Def rocked!!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:03 PM

Happy B-Day Marc! I'll have to make you a 4Runner cake. Hey, I thought I saw you leaving after Bryan Adams.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Phalanx
Happy B-Day Marc! I'll have to make you a 4Runner cake. Hey, I thought I saw you leaving after Bryan Adams.

HA!! Just to get another beer
Old 11-07-2005, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Here is the info TTORA posted about this weekend..with directions....

http://tacoma.obriens.net/images/Tri...PreRun/run.htm

See you guys there.

I will be leaving SD at about 7-30pm on Friday night if anyone wants to caravan..Rob
Old 11-07-2005, 07:19 AM

Happy B-day Marc!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Well as I said, I headed out to Ocotillo this past weekend because I couldn't make the trip. Man I have a mix of emotions over it. First off, I'm glad I went, but I'll never go alone again. I decided to not go to Truckhaven because I hadn't been there before and I didn't want to try something new alone. Little did I know...

I decided to do a simple loop basically consisting of (if you know the area):

Fonts Point -> Short Wash -> Palo Verde Wash -> Devil's Slide -> Rockcrawling area above Devil's Slide -> Pumkin Patch Trail -> Tule Wash -> Cross Over Trail -> Pole Line Road -> 78 -> Home

Everything up until Pumpkin Patch Trail was to be expected. What I didn't expect was the shear amount of change that has happened since I went on PP Trail since last year. It used to be a pretty simple trail to do in a stock vehicle. Now, there's no way I could have done it in my stock 4runner. Amazing what rains can do.

The next *huge* mistake was when I went on the first trail off of Tule wash thinking it was Cross Over trail. Boy was I wrong. I don't know what to call the trail, but I call it Pumkin Patch South. I should have known when I saw a motorcyclist come by and ask me if I was okay. He also warned me that it was *really* narrow ahead. Still thiinking I was on Cross Over trail, I thought, no biggie. Oh well, I won't bore you with all the details, but the 7 mile or so trail took me about 3 hours. Not fun.

The good side of things... I never flipped (*really* close though) and I did things I would have NEVER done on purpose. The only thing that made me go through it was the fact that it was too narrow to turn around, and after doing obstacles, I thought to myself, "that's got to be the worst of it". Anyway, next S.D. trip, I'd like to do it again, but this time with a spotter and someone who can strap me up.

Man I'm an idiot. Oh, and I also passed a FJ-40 going the other way and he even warned me that it was pretty bad. But at that point, I couldn't turn around.

I have pictures, but they are gay. I couldn't get pics of the bad stuff b/c I didn't think I should get out of a teetering vehicle to get a good action shot!

Have a good time on your trip, and take lots 'o pics!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Crazy, I went on pumkin patch trail in april and my buddies stock 86 followed us no problem nothing out of the ordinary. I guess it has changed a lot since then. What is this rock crawling area above devil's slide. I must have missed that one too.

Glad you made it back ok. One more example of why solo wheeling is a bad idea. Next time, you can borrow my buddy:

Old 11-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Is anyone else going up Friday morning? I have the day off and thought I would get up there early and maybe hit up some easy stuff.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Eric--I will be out there kinda late Friday. It sounds like a bunch of the same guys from Big Bear will be there early Friday. Just play with them.

Truckhaven is like a playground. You can wheel close to camp by yourself if no one else wants to go with you.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

I just found out I have friday off, so if I can get some of my broken chit fixed, I may go out there.....
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

That rocks. I think... I have a shot gun rider. The guy that went on the Corral Canyon run with us and took pic's Ian said he can ride along. That is good because he takes awsome pictures. I am putting some more lift on the front this week to level it out and prep for the TJM I am ordering then getting her re-aligned.

Quick Reply: San Diego desert trip in November!!