Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Ride in Tennessee or Western North Carolina?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ride in Tennessee or Western North Carolina?

I'm going to be on vacation in Townsend, TN (near Gatlinburg) from Dec 26 through Jan 2. Anyone interested in a trailride in Tennessee or western North Carolina on those dates? Nothing hardcore, I gotta get home! Maybe a relatively easy trailride so more people can come?

I briefly discussed this with ravencr? a couple of months ago, hopefully you'll chime in.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Townsend

The quiet side of the smokeys. I used to live there. There is a cool scenic trail over Tuckaleechee Mountain into Cades Cove. Its not on many maps and closed sparaticly over the winter. Not a harsh trail. Check it out.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

btt Anyone else?
Old 12-14-2003, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

yea baby, im in for an easy ride up there.

set a date, ill see what i can do.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RTdawgs
yea baby, im in for an easy ride up there.

set a date, ill see what i can do.
Really anytime between Dec 27 and Dec 31 preferably. Any ideas on where to ride? I've been hiking up there before, but never been offroading. The general assumption I get about Tellico is that there are virtually no "tame" trails, so maybe Monteagle? Know anything about it? Other suggestions? We really need someone that has been riding in the area before.

Come on guys, chime in.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:54 AM

I'm definitely game, but I'd like to know what you mean by tame trails? Do you mean gravel roads that are scenic? Give me an idea of what you're talking about, and I'll let you know where and what trails to run in the area. There's a lot of good stuff in the area, as we discussed previously, and I know you mentioned your wife and kids coming along too, but some wife and kids I've seen are pretty crazy!

Chris
Old 12-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
I'm definitely game, but I'd like to know what you mean by tame trails? Do you mean gravel roads that are scenic? Give me an idea of what you're talking about, and I'll let you know where and what trails to run in the area. There's a lot of good stuff in the area, as we discussed previously, and I know you mentioned your wife and kids coming along too, but some wife and kids I've seen are pretty crazy!

Chris
Wife will be there, I don't have any kids though. Not gravel roads, light duty 4wd trails with some minor obstacles-no big rocks-more light mud, small rocks, creeks, good views. Nothing where I'd be in serious danger of carnage or breakage. I'd like it to be fun w/o worrying about how to get home.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:10 AM

Cool, is your 4runner stock or modified for off-roading?

Chris
Old 12-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Cool, is your 4runner stock or modified for off-roading?

Chris
Lightly modified-but I like to be way over prepared for what I'm doing-less chance of walking home that way. Other than my company work truck, this is our only vehicle, hence my caution towards breakage.

My mods: '99 4Runner V6 4x4 5spd
4.30 gears, e-locker, 32x11.50 Dueler MT's, OME lift front and rear,
ARB Prado bar w/ Warn M8000, Trailcarnage skidplates, Trailcarnage sliders, hopefully Trailcarnage rear bumper/tire carrier to be done by then.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:23 AM

Man, you've got way more protection that I do, that's for sure. All I have is sliders, part of a front bumper, and part of a rear bumper, and just factory skids. I just came back from Tellico this weekend, and it's a great place, but there's also stuff at Windrock that we can have a ton of fun on too.

Chris
Old 12-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Man, you've got way more protection that I do, that's for sure. All I have is sliders, part of a front bumper, and part of a rear bumper, and just factory skids. I just came back from Tellico this weekend, and it's a great place, but there's also stuff at Windrock that we can have a ton of fun on too.

Chris
Great, Windrock is what I was thinking of a few posts up, not Monteagle. How far is Windrock from Townsend?

Any non hardcore stuff at Tellico?-Input from someone w/o a super built rig would be great.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:46 AM

Definitely! Tellico is a lot of fun, because the obstacles are more often, where as Windrock is more gravel road/obstable/gravel road, etc. Tellico has trails 4, 5, and others that are a blast for a vehicle equipped like yours. I've run them, and I don't have the protection you have at all.

Chris
Old 12-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Definitely! Tellico is a lot of fun, because the obstacles are more often, where as Windrock is more gravel road/obstable/gravel road, etc. Tellico has trails 4, 5, and others that are a blast for a vehicle equipped like yours. I've run them, and I don't have the protection you have at all.

Chris
Great, either would be great, or both. I hope it snows! I have always wanted to wheel in the snow! I'm lucky to see an inch or so once every five years in central Alabama. Got anyona else that will want to tag along? Wife and girlfriends welcome.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:11 PM

My wife won't come unless I already have her dirtbike bought for her. She doesn't like riding in the truck because it makes her car sick, unfortunately. But, I'll probably have a buddy of mine come along with his buggy or 4-wheeler again depending on what my wife is doing.

I have some pics and vids loading right now so you can get a taste of what tellico is like here in a little bit.

Chris
Old 12-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

My wife won't come unless I already have her dirtbike bought for her. She doesn't like riding in the truck because it makes her car sick, unfortunately. But, I'll probably have a buddy of mine come along with his buggy or 4-wheeler again depending on what my wife is doing.

I have some pics and vids loading right now so you can get a taste of what tellico is like here in a little bit.

Chris
Cool, I watch for them. I'm assuming under the offroading vids and pics sticky?
Old 12-14-2003, 12:16 PM

I'll post them in both places!

Chris
Old 12-14-2003, 01:02 PM

Here's a link to 1 video with 3 more to come along with the pics:

http://www.toyota-4runners.com/tellico12-13-03.html

Chris
Old 12-14-2003, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

dec 26-29 is good for me i think, it all depends i guess.

i got open diffs and stock skids, so nothing hardcore for me, i need to drive home in hte same condition i get there in.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

vids are cool, but i dont need anything like that on this trip.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:51 PM

It's totally bypassable (is that word)?

Chris

Quick Reply: Ride in Tennessee or Western North Carolina?