Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Pismo 4RJ07, Oct. 12th-14th

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MysTicZ
Can 2wd make the run?

I might also bring my sister guys with their 05 stock SE 4runner.

It's the 8th is it still possible to order shirts?
Yes, 2wd can definately make it and have a ton of fun. Over half the time out there I am in 2wd. There are many 2wd rigs coming.

I was gone all weekend, so you can still get your orders in, I will probably make the order tomorrow night.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:31 AM
JnJ

Just a reminder...if you are bringing kids and you haven't posted up their ages please do so soon. I am getting ready to get prizes for them and I don't want anyone left out!!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
Yes, 2wd can definately make it and have a ton of fun. Over half the time out there I am in 2wd. There are many 2wd rigs coming.

I was gone all weekend, so you can still get your orders in, I will probably make the order tomorrow night.
Thats great, count my wife and me in. And I will bring my sister and her boyfriend with there stock 05 4wd SE 4runner.

Thanks again and see you there.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:31 AM

chris,

i'm in for this, probably leaving friday night or very very early saturday morning. i went to Los Osos(the first time) with family during labor day long weekend, spending 4 days up there enjoying the 60-70 degree weather instead of 110+ down in LA. heavenly place you got up there.

i've done desert runs but never driven around sand dunes. any thing i need to pay attention to ahead?

edit: i'm in Pasadena area, i'll be running solo, so if any of you needs an extra seat, you can ride with me.

Last edited by TC4RNR; 09-13-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
chris,

i'm in for this, probably leaving friday night or very very early saturday morning. i went to Los Osos(the first time) with family during labor day long weekend, spending 4 days up there enjoying the 60-70 degree weather instead of 110+ down in LA. heavenly place you got up there.

i've done desert runs but never driven around sand dunes. any thing i need to pay attention to ahead?
Hey TC, cool I'll add you to the list. Yep, I love it here. Los Osos can be a little foggier, but I'll take foggy over heat any day.

As far as sand driving, the number 1 thing is to air way down. The next is have fun and be aware of who is aroung you. One other thing is when you stop, immediately back up a couple feet, that way when you start to go again, you aren't working against a mound of sand directly in front of your tires. You'll learn pretty quick, what works for you, but those are two that work no matter what vehicle you have.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

slowheelin and I did an improptu prerun for the event. We checked out our proposed camp area and the sand highway. We also ran out to Hi mtn. lookout, did a little bit of Garcia Ridge, and did the last part of hi mtn rd. out to Pozo. I'll have to coordinates and description of our camp area later tonight or tomorrow (whenever I go get my gps out of the 4runner). I'll have pics of the tshirts tomorrow also (I tried to take pics tonight, but the flash was just whiting it all out), they'll photograph better in the morning daylight. :angel:

Prerun thread and pics

Teaser pic:
Old 09-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Safety info courtesy of Bob. It would be smart to make a copy of this info and have in your vehicle's glove box.

Safety Information

As always, call 911 first in case of dire health related or safety emergency.

If you have an incident requiring hospitalization, here is a map to the best emergency center in the area, according to my doctor friend who lives in Pismo Beach. The hospital is roughly 5 miles away, but very easy to get to:

Arroyo Grande Hospital
345 S. Halcyon Rd
Arroyo Grande, CA
805-473-7650

Save this as a PDF and print from your printer: http://www.4runners.org/image/pismo/HOSPITAL-PISMO.pdf I highly suggest if you are attending this event, print out a color copy (best) and put a copy in your glove box.

See you guys out there!

Bob

EDIT:

An alternative/quicker, but more twisty route from south entrance:

Head eastbound on Pier Ave
Right on Route 1 (Front St)
Left on Belridge St
Left on 13th St
Right on the Pike
Left on S. Halcyon Rd

Note: This route is not arrow routed nor visible on the PDF map.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Camp and communication info has been added to post 1:

I'll add it here also:

Camp Area Info:

Once you are in the park, head South down the beach. The camp area will be between pole #7 and the end of where you can drive on the beach (basically if you get to the fence on the beach, you went a little too far, but are right in the general area)
The camp will be between the high tide line and the restrooms which are a couple hundred yards in towards the dunes. We should be the biggest group out there that weekend so we should be pretty easy to spot.
For those that have GPS here are the coordinates:
N35 03.790 W120 37.671

Communication:
CB channel- 16
FMRS (little motorolas) channnel: 14 privacy code 0

Last edited by slosurfer; 10-07-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scratch me off

i may still attempt a midnight showing
Old 10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Just booked my campspot. I have a bunch of work to do to the Runner before I bring her down due to some Rubicon Carnage but I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing it instead of the Taco. I'm still getting sand of places from last year and I really don't want it in the carpet of the new rig
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

hey chris, just FYI i believe those little motorolas only go up to channel 14, so 16 wont work
Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
hey chris, just FYI i believe those little motorolas only go up to channel 14, so 16 wont work
Haha, you're right! I'll change it to 14 privacy code 0
Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 AM

Question

We will be leaving San Francisco area about 6pm, so by the time we get there will the gate be closed?

Also is there lights in the camp area? Getting there after dark and it's alittle hard to put up tents in the dark.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MysTicZ
We will be leaving San Francisco area about 6pm, so by the time we get there will the gate be closed?

Also is there lights in the camp area? Getting there after dark and it's alittle hard to put up tents in the dark.
You will still be able to pull in. I would go in through the southern entrance on Pier Ave. No lights, except those that people bring. I'm sure there will be plenty of lanterns and such. I'll have a lantern there and flashlights.

What's the word on you guys and chow for Saturday night?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
You will still be able to pull in. I would go in through the southern entrance on Pier Ave. No lights, except those that people bring. I'm sure there will be plenty of lanterns and such. I'll have a lantern there and flashlights.

What's the word on you guys and chow for Saturday night?

Oops forgot to reply about that.

Make the order for 3 bowls and since I can't eat seafood I will grab something else.

Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

No problem! I'll see ya Friday night. I'm sure there will be plenty of lights arougd plus a fire going, and you can always angle your truck so you can use those lights to help you set up.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 AM

hey, chris,

ever thought about taking a quick stop at the Avila Beach hot springs saturday night after the chow? could be a good treat as the beach can be freez'n a$$es. it opens till 9pm and about less than half hour(6 miles) drive from the camp. lot of folks haven't taken a shower for 2 days by that time, it's good to fresh up, specially the ladies(i don't think guys would care much about taking showers, nuh...), come back to have a good night sleep. last hour rate is only $5.

i've never been there, how you ya'l locals think?

http://www.avilahotsprings.com/facil...acilities.html

one more question: i have two sets of tires/rims, Dueler M/T and BFG A/T, both 32/11.5/15. for this trip, would the M/T work better than A/T or other way around?

Last edited by TC4RNR; 10-08-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
hey, chris,

ever thought about taking a quick stop at the Avila Beach hot springs saturday night after the chow? could be a good treat as the beach can be freez'n a$$es. it opens till 9pm and about less than half hour(6 miles) drive from the camp. lot of folks haven't taken a shower for 2 days by that time, it's good to fresh up, specially the ladies(i don't think guys would care much about taking showers, nuh...), come back to have a good night sleep. last hour rate is only $5.

i've never been there, how you ya'l locals think?

http://www.avilahotsprings.com/facil...acilities.html

one more question: i have two sets of tires/rims, Dueler M/T and BFG A/T, both 32/11.5/15. for this trip, would the M/T work better than A/T or other way around?
Well, you could do that. It will probably take you longer to get there than 1/2 hour. It takes about 20 minutes just to get off the beach and that isn't counting airing back up. If you were looking for showers, you may be able to use Pismo State beach campground (I don't know if they have showers or not, you would have to look it up) It is much closer and you could get away without airing up.

As for the tires, sometimes MT's can dig too much but then other times they work really well. I can't really compare as I have only been out with mud type tires recently. Either set will work well. Sorry, wish I could be more definitive.

Oh, and I'm not trying to discourage you from going to the hot springs, just wanted to let you know that it can be a pain to get off the beach especially when you are coming right back.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:15 AM

oops!! forgot it's only close ON PAPER. just checkin'.

looks like it's gonna be cold out there, but we may be spared by the rain

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA
318 AM PDT TUE OCT 9 2007

PZZ670-091700-
/O.ROU.KLOX.MA.F.0000.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/
WATERS FROM PT. PIEDRAS BLANCAS TO PT. ARGUELLO AND WESTWARD 60 NM-

FRI
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. NW SWELL 7 TO 9 FT.

SAT
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. NW SWELL 7 TO 9 FT.

Point Forecast: Pismo Beach, CA
35.14N -120.63W (Elev. 79 ft)

Friday: A chance of showers. Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 64.

Friday Night: A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 52.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 52.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 66.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 54.

Tides for Port San Luis Wharf starting with October 12, 2007.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

F 12 Low 4:34 AM 2.0 7:07 AM Rise 8:33 AM 0
12 High 10:43 AM 5.4 6:32 PM Set 7:04 PM
12 Low 5:40 PM 0.3

Sa 13 High 12:03 AM 3.9 7:07 AM Rise 9:33 AM 2
13 Low 4:56 AM 2.3 6:31 PM Set 7:36 PM
13 High 11:06 AM 5.4
13 Low 6:18 PM 0.3

Su 14 High 12:54 AM 3.7 7:08 AM Rise 10:32 AM 6
14 Low 5:17 AM 2.7 6:30 PM Set 8:13 PM
14 High 11:31 AM 5.3
14 Low 7:02 PM 0.4
Old 10-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Actually, mid 60's and sunny makes for it being really comfortable driving around out there. We'll be keeping an eye on the weather, we won't really know till Thursday. This area is real finnicky when it comes to storms. The last one skipped us completely, it rained just to the north, south, and west of us.
The best thing will be to check the forecast again Wed. night/Thursday and see what it says.

Quick Reply: Pismo 4RJ07, Oct. 12th-14th