Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Pismo 4RJ II, July 9-11, 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know people took more pics then what's posted here, lets see 'um
Old 07-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

The ones I took are pretty crappy.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys!
*whew* made it back at 4:30 THIS MORNING (Monday). Just to give everyone a little clue as to what happened....

I fried the clutch while on the 1st run out in the dunes
After Geoff (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and Lance tried to get me out a couple of times, Bruce hooked me up and found a great line out.

Bruce, you da man!!! Those "whoops" were pretty fun

Once we got to camp Milton and Bud helped me out of the dunes to look for a shop but there were none that were going to be able to finish by Sunday (work on Monday) so I bought the parts and Steve towed my rig (via tow strap) to Jim's (Manson-mobile) place in SLO. For the next 5-6 hours after that we removed the tranny and clutch up to the flywheel (were having issues with those bolts). Called it a night, had dinner, and drove back to camp.

SUNDAY:
Woke up, packed up, and both Steve and Geoff packed my stuff into their rigs back to Jim's place where we grilled up some lunch, and with some input from Bruce (I think) found a way to get the flywheel off. The next 8 hours or so after that was replacing a main seal, flywheel, clutch, etc, and stabbing the tranny back in place. Wow, that's so EASY to say - and yet so HARD to do

So we got the clutch in and Milton fires her up for a test drive and everyone notices something wrong - pop the hood and find a LARGE crack in part of the exhaust in front of the cat. Patched that up nice, Steve's got a nice pic - and started again to smell some burning oil *sigh*

Long story short, the clutch was only the start of the problem. Looks like I have an engine rebuild in my immediate future

Can of worms fellas

Anyhow - I have so many people to thank I don't even know where to start. Thanks to Milton, Steve and his buddies Jim, Brian, and Geoff for helping out SO much during the actual clutch work.
Jim, Brian - I respect these guys a lot. They know their stuff and got down and dirty with me showing me how everything was done.
Thanks to Miki for allowing Steve to stay so late on Sunday night
Thanks to Milton, my 1st gen brother, for his help both on Saturday AND Sunday. This guy is awesome folks
Thanks again to Geoff for caravaning with me for 300 mile drive back to San Diego (5 hours, yikes!)
Thanks to Bruce, Geoff, and Lance for the tow out of the dunes. Again to Bruce for his technical help afterwards.
And everyone else for their moral support! Bob, KCtopher, Lance, Mikronized, Bud - believe it or not guys, I really appreciate you're moral support.

YOTATECH ROCKS!

by the way, if I missed you please don't take it personally - it's been a LONG weekend and my brain is fried.
...and I'm never going to get my hands clean
Old 07-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 123 pictures and a dialup connection. Got home at 1:30 am after watching Peter fix his truck . That's my excuse for not posting pictures yet and I've got some good ones. Soon...
Old 07-12-2004, 04:58 PM

Brad and Scott, i want a rematch up comphill. My passengers ate too much bbq. Thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

Brad?? As in me??? I wasn't there! LOL! Anytime you want a match up Comp I'll be there. I'm still bummed that I missed the trip, but Yosemite was fantastic! Had a great time there and I guess I can say *GASP* that it was worth it to miss the Pismo thing for that.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Bud

Originally Posted by TacoBell
Brad?? As in me??? I wasn't there! LOL! Anytime you want a match up Comp I'll be there. I'm still bummed that I missed the trip, but Yosemite was fantastic! Had a great time there and I guess I can say *GASP* that it was worth it to miss the Pismo thing for that.
... its the other Brad 004runner. btw, i have one of your worn out mtrs that i will use for spare once i upgrade to 265/75/16's.. thanks.
Hope to see you on the next pismo run. Few months... hopefully...
Old 07-12-2004, 05:54 PM

Glad all you guys had fun. I'm looking forward to hooking up with Keith, Brad and Milt (and everyone else) soon!
Yeah Brad is hella crazy on those dunes! Keith are you getting MTR's?
Old 07-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Biff
What happen to your battery?

the mount wasnt tight, so it was bouncing around, and broke my ground wire, and also detatched my positive wire fromt the terminal. nothing big really, just more of a hassle.

-Casey

Last edited by casey; 07-12-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:23 PM

It was great to meet so many people! I had a lot of fun this weekend.

Huge thanks to Steve (Robinhood) who generously let me use his extra tent/pad/sleeping bag. That was awesome.

Thanks for the rides to/from the event by Lance and Bob and the rides around the dunes by Lance.

I look forward to seeing many of you again at other future events. Then I can bring my 4Runner too.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by casey
it was a really great trip despite my battery incident(s), and my fenders rubbing on practically anything i tried to climb. but overall, it was a truly awesome time.

i think it might be time for some fiberglass fenders...

-Casey
Why were you rubbing so much? Is it because of the width of those tires? And was it just rubbing in the front?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobT2k
Why were you rubbing so much? Is it because of the width of those tires? And was it just rubbing in the front?
i'd say the width is the main reason, not only from the tires being 12.5" wide, but my rims have a backspacing of about 3.75 also, so that combo gives quite a bit of rubbing. it was only in the front, as far as i could tell.
I'm not too worried about it, im considering fiberglass right now.

-casey
Old 07-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by casey
i'd say the width is the main reason, not only from the tires being 12.5" wide, but my rims have a backspacing of about 3.75 also, so that combo gives quite a bit of rubbing. it was only in the front, as far as i could tell.
I'm not too worried about it, im considering fiberglass right now.

-casey
sounds like you and i are in the same boat. i am going to get some different wheels w/more backspacing, and i am waiting on a body lift to be developed for the 4th gens. between these two things i think i can eliminate the rubbing.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ahriman
sounds like you and i are in the same boat. i am going to get some different wheels w/more backspacing, and i am waiting on a body lift to be developed for the 4th gens. between these two things i think i can eliminate the rubbing.
Talk to Roger Brown. I'm sure he can whip something up for you. He lives in Santa Clara.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Steve, stop posting and load the damn pictures already

BTW, would Pirate be the best place to do some hunting on those 40K engines you were talking about?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

I'm almost done. got about 15 more.

search around here, 4x4wire and pirate for engines. I don't know where to look though, I've never done it.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Steve, stop posting and load the damn pictures already

BTW, would Pirate be the best place to do some hunting on those 40K engines you were talking about?
Sorry to hear about you rig Peter. It is a pretty sweet ride though. Hope to see out on future runs.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Banned

Peter ... is the secret out?? What happened to your rig? (sorry if you've already explained ... i've had a stressful day, and will read the entirety of the thread in the morning ...)
Old 07-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, me too
I'm not really sure what to do next - the easier (and more costly) thing to do might be to pull the engine and see if I can get a replacement (*gasp* maybe even an upgrade) and sell the 22re currently under the hood. Then again, it was pretty fun working on the clutch and I wouldn't mind tinkering with the engine.

The only complication is I have an end of summer deadline to find a new place to live and I may be looking at having no garage for even tool storage :cry:
Old 07-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Banned

n/m .. i see you fried the clutch. i'm glad you made it home safely tho!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

sorry, I was typing while you posted

Yeah, the clutch went bye-bye but the ride in the dunes until then was mighty fun. I did feel a bit underpowered though...

uh-oh
Steve planted thoughts of an engine upgrade in my head and even though I can't the thoughts won't go away. Damn you Steve!!!

Quick Reply: Pismo 4RJ II, July 9-11, 2004