Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Join us for Sunflower Mine (Arizona) on Sat, November 11th - 7 a.m.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Join us for Sunflower Mine (Arizona) on Sat, November 11th - 7 a.m.

Although I've run the trail with McDonough and Schaefer, the following report and notes are from another friend, who will be leading the group for this run:

"[This] will be a wonderful trail! Lots of challenging terrain and incredible views and interesting things at the mine processing site. We will probably do last gas/bathroom stop at the Baja Conoco station along the Beeline Hwy at Fort McDowell Rd. Then it is a 30 minute drive north on the Beeline Hwy to the turnoff. After a short drive we head off road and start the trail. From this point it is a 13 mile loop that I estimate will take us 5 - 6 hrs including sightseeing. When I did the trail there wasn't any appreciable water in the creek, so the water crossings will be non-existent or very shallow unless we get alot of rain in the next couple weeks! The pics that Dean included are a very accurate depiction of the trail experience! A few notes:

-Be sure your 4 wheel drive works, including 4-Low Range. Most of the trail will be done in 4-Low.
-Be sure your tires are in good condition and you have a full size spare in good condition with you.
-Bring a flashlight to peer into the dark mine shafts and basic hand tools and tire changing tools.
-Bring a spouse or friend with you in your vehicle that has the ability to act as your own personal spotter through the rougher sections of trail. That means that they are willing, able, and have appropriate footwear to hop out of your vehicle and various angles and hike along in front of your vehicle to direct you over and around the numerous boulders and some ledges that we will be traversing. Having your own spotter will help to keep us moving and making headway as a group.
-There are some areas of close brush. I actually brought some clippers with me and cleared the brush at some of the worse areas, but I'm sure I missed a few spots or I was at such an angle that I didn't feel like stopping to trim the trail as I was alone at the time - plus we have to break-in Scott's new 4Runner with some AZ Pinstriping over that Texas Wax!
-A CB or FRS Radio will aid in trail communications with each other - I will be equipped with both.
-A tow strap would be helpful in case you need to help the vehicle in front or behind you as the trail is very narrow in places and would be difficult to shuffle vehicles around in order to tug someone. Note on your own vehicle where a suitable tow location (recovery point - preferably something attached to the truck's frame) would be.

Note that the write-up says this trail is suitable for a high-clearance vehicle! Take that seriously before deciding if you should bring your new 4x4 right off the dealer's lot! It should have at least a mild lift or at least one size up from stock tires on it.
And, as always, pack a camera, lunch, snacks to share with everyone and plenty of water!

Let Scott or I know if you have any questions, and we will see you on Sat, Nov 11!!!"

BTW, the church is located at 1200 E Southern Ave, between McClintock and Rural in Tempe. Specifically, the east end of the parking lot where we're meeting, is right on the corner of Dorsey & Southern.

Last edited by RR DIFF LOCK; 11-01-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

This has me seriously thinking about a "Calvary Chapel of Bullhead City 4-wheel Drive Ministry"

Wish I was closer to you guys, I'd be on this like lions on Babylonian governors! (Dan. 6)
Old 11-01-2006, 12:45 PM

Right on CJ! Hey if you (and even your family) ever want to join us, you've always got a place to stay in Gilbert! We're glad to accomodate you if it meant that you could come along for a trail run with us! Seriously!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RR DIFF LOCK
Right on CJ! Hey if you (and even your family) ever want to join us, you've always got a place to stay in Gilbert! We're glad to accomodate you if it meant that you could come along for a trail run with us! Seriously!
I appreciate that, thanks! Once this next baby's born, and we have a little extra cash to spend, hopefully we can head down to Phx or something. I really would love to hook up and do some good wheeling where I'm not the most experienced driver in the crew...

Last time I got a good trail ride was last year when Marc P came down and we played around in the hills for a few hours, and that was fun because he knows what he's doing and has a capable rig. (Especially now! )

I got a guy in the church who just got an FJ (for all the right reasons) and he's itchin to go out too. Maybe we can plan something for the spring where we can drive down and hook up with you guys and do Sunflower or something. That would be very cool. I also want to make it to UCORA's (United Christian Off Road Alliance) Calico run in April, if they're doing it again... That would be mucho fun-o.

Last edited by Tacoclimber; 11-01-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:59 PM

RIGHT ON!

:bigclap:

I hope we can connect soon! Perhaps if Christian <96 Runner> could ever not be busy (herculining this, herculining that, laptop tuning this, laptop tuning that...) we could all meet up somewhere in the middle and go for a run or a campout, etc.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RR DIFF LOCK
RIGHT ON!

:bigclap:

I hope we can connect soon! Perhaps if Christian <96 Runner> could ever not be busy (herculining this, herculining that, laptop tuning this, laptop tuning that...) we could all meet up somewhere in the middle and go for a run or a campout, etc.

I would love to. Spring time is usually the best out here in the desert, maybe we could head to Flag, since it's kinda in the middle everyone. I don't know if there's any good trails near Lake Mary, but that's some beautiful country up there! Or maybe Sedona. That would be way cool, too!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 PM

hey scott, where exactly is the turnoff on the 87? I'm definatly gonna try and get out there with you guys, we'll see what happens with my truck though.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by T0R3D
hey scott, where exactly is the turnoff on the 87? I'm definatly gonna try and get out there with you guys, we'll see what happens with my truck though.
I'm not entirely sure - as I was following other people last time. Are you able to meet us at the church or is it easier for you to meet us at the trailhead? Let me know and I can get you more specific directions.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 PM

Turn west on the road at mile 222.6. There is a sign there for Sycamore Creek. I estimate we would be there about 0900 am. Or you can meet us at the Baja Conoco Gas Station at 87 and Fort McDowell Road about 0800 am.

Hope to see you there!

Brian
Old 11-05-2006, 09:13 PM

The Tundra will make it with no problem, but I would choose the vehicle with the best traction (locker or posi?) and also the one where you don't mind getting a bit of "AZ Pinstriping"! The lighter the color of truck, the less the striping will show. Mine's white, so it's great! The wider Tundra might make it a bit "interesting" on some of the narrower trail ledges as well!

Brian
Old 11-06-2006, 12:36 PM

If I meet you guys it will be at the conoco. I know where you guys are talking about now, I've been up to sycamore in my old 4x4 so I kind of know the area. I'm pretty sure my tundra can keep up but I'm not to thrilled about getting to much pinstripping... a little bit is fine but as long as its not to skinny of a path.

also, on this trail do I need to bring a spotter for sure or am I ok by myself?

Last edited by T0R3D; 11-06-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM

If I meet you guys it will be at the conoco. I know where you guys are talking about now, I've been up to sycamore in my old 4x4 so I kind of know the area. I'm pretty sure my tundra can keep up but I'm not to thrilled about getting to much pinstripping... a little bit is fine but as long as its not to skinny of a path.

also, on this trail do I need to bring a spotter for sure or am I ok by myself?
Hey Brian,

This isn't the Sycamore Creek (Upper/Lower) ORV area - this is about 25 miles north of that area near the town of Sunflower. Alot of mining history in this area, plus it is at a higher elevation than the Creek ORV area, making it cooler temps as well.

I'm sure your Tundra will do fine. There are quite a few rocky boulder-strewn creek bed area that will take some route finding to get thru, trying to stay on the tallest rocks so they don't catch your undercarriage. There are a few ledges also. Mostly the brush is only close to the trail because you might choose to go over there to miss an obstacle or two. It would be very helpful to bring a buddy along to help spot - otherwise the truck in front of you could also help spot thru some tuff areas.

Hope to see you there at the Baja Conoco between 0800 and 0830 am this Sat!

Brian
Old 11-07-2006, 10:21 AM

ok, cool I've never been to that place then so that will be good, its always nice to go somewhere new I'm gonna try and put a 2 1/2 inch spacer in the front by friday, that way I'll have a little more clearance in the front and wont ruin my bumper.if I cant get it done then oh well I guess i'll have to try it w/o.

I will try and get one of my buddies to go along with me so I have a little bit of help. Is there anything in particular I need to bring along besides a lunch and water (or what is listed above) because I got rid of a lot of my 4wheeling stuff with my last truck...
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM

Brian,

Scott pretty much covered everything you need in his first post to start this thread - that is the list I gave him to spread around.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Brian
Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM

looking foward to meeting you guys as well! Do you know how many people are going so far?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:19 PM

I'd predict we'll have between 10 and 15 vehicles going with an average of 2 people per vehicle, maybe more. It should be a fun time!

Brian
Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 PM

well guys, I dont think I'm gonna be able to make it on Saturday. It turns out i'm not gonna be able to put the spacer on until sunday. So, I think I'll just wait until the next outing mainly becuase I would hold the group up because of no ground clearance, scratches etc... Thank you guys for the invite anyways, and I'll be sure to make it out next time if you guys dont mind.

also one more question, I'll ask it here and if I have to i'll post a thread.
-If I put that 2 1/2" spacer on the front thats not gonna be bad on my axles is it? I know that if there is to much of an angle it will wear them out so, I just dont want to put to much of an angle on them. thanks again guys.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:42 AM

PM'd you mark
Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM

Sunflower Mine Trail

Yet another cool trail with some interesting features.

Please do not ban me because I took it in a Jeep

There are some new washouts on the east end of the loop that created one heck of a tippy situation!

Here are the photos from out trip in addition to some interesting information from the AZ dep. Of Mines and Minerals.:
http://arizonatrailways.com/cs/blogs...e-Arizona.aspx

Regards,
Ryan