Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Help me plan a Moab trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Help me plan a Moab trip

I long wanted to go and I'm thinking about making this adventure coming true. I'm thinking of going during my mid-tour leave. Renting an RV and trail to tow rig in. I want to 4wheel, hike, mountain bike, rock climb and possibly kayak/canoe. Don't yet have a time line but probably won't to spend all m leave in one place so prehaps a week. I will have some imput as to when I want to take leave but the sooner I request curtain dates the more likely I'm to get my picks. We Sept would be the six month mark but I want to push that out to later date so as to make the remainder of my tour shorter.

Whats the the weather like in Oct/Nov time frame? Temp?
Where to get good information as to make the most of my trip? I'm not rich but also not poor.
Any and all input is welcome.

I don't know if this is in the right forumn so mods please move s needed.

Thanks, muddpigg
Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is some offroading on arches NP, @ tower arch trailhead. there is a trail that says klondike bluffs, which will turn left off of tower arch trail. the klondike bluffs trail is apparently pretty nasty. it was washed out when we were there.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
The latest I've been is the first week of September because we also cover the Colorado mountain areas on our trips.
We camp at Sand Flats recreation area. There's wheeling there but I haven't attempted it in my stocker. I've only managed to do a few of the bike trails, Slickrock just because it's weird to be at those angles and not falling down. Porcupine Rim (as a loop) is my current favorite. Klondike (the bike trail) was alright (easy) with dinosaur prints and a good view you walk up to at the end of the trail (out and back). I use semi slick tires with tire liners, Moab's mostly rock with patches of evil sand. Hiking Negro Bill canyon was a nice little 4.5 mile total out and back, very scenic with a cool little surprise at the end of the trail. There's water on 128 real close to 191, coming out of the rock on the side of the road. The La Sals are beautiful and we've camped there too, near Mt. Peale. I enjoyed driving the La Sal pass trail, coupla challenging spots (for me, anyway) but the stocker made everything. The downhill side of Gemini Bridges I liked as well, again with my stocker.
The book 'Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails' by Charles A. Wells was immensely helpful to me as were the people at Poison Spider bike shop (there's a ton of good shops, that's just where we stopped) and the Moab info center.

Watch out for those afternoon thunderstorms, drink lots, take lots to drink and be prepared.

Oh, and don't forget to google up Silt Happens
(I'm not kidding)

Last edited by habanero; 03-24-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are in for a real treat! Moab is awesome. I camped at Sand Flats east of Moab last Nov and the weather is fine, cool at night (40's) and warm during the day (60's). Depending on your rig the options are limitless. There is plenty of camping at the Sand Flats Rec area East of town and Nov there won't be very many people especially during the week. There are a few trails right by Sand Flats like Hell's Revenge and Fin's and Things, and the mountain biking trails are fantastic. Check out Traildamage.com for trail info. Some of the trails are intense and I wouldn't travel alone! Flat Iron Mesa, Kane Creek and Poison Spider Mesa are great trails. Another good site to visit is Red Rocks Four Wheelers. I'm headed to Moab in a couple of weeks and can't wait. Believe all the trail ratings you read about the Moab trails. PM me if you want more info. Thanks for your service to our country. I'm a Navy vet.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2 for the Well's guide. Get the spiral bound version direct from their website:
http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=1

September is not too bad, the time I went in October, Noah was building an ark.

My FAVORITE time ever was in mid-December. November 1 all the hotels go to offseason rate - which is usually around $30/night! It is also A LOT less crowded.