Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Having fun in Moab

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha...hmmm...
Old 06-01-2004, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are all back at the Brown's and Steve, etc. left before us. Jim joked that you would have this thread up before we got back.

We did Lion's Back and most of Cliffhanger after you left, but did not complete it.

I am the fat guy in the canvas shirt and actually got some spotting duty this weekend.

Steve and Steve both did Rock Chucker Hill and Widowmaker on Metal Masher as well as Double Whammy on Gold Bar Rim. They both let me stand in front of their rigs a lot on Double Whammy.

Schaefer's 35's really put that rig in another class.

SteveO, your rig is quite stable even at the great height. 37's will finish it, but a solid axle will finish it right.

A sincere thank you to SteveO for lettting me have a seat in his rig for two days, Carole for giving up the passenger seat for me, Schaefer for letting me both ride in and spot for him.

Last but not least, thank you to the Brown family for taking good care of me and being so patient and generous during this ordeal.

Since none of you will probably read this whole message, I will chronicle other things later. Steve, tomorrow noon is looking like a possibility, but no guarantee.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Since none of you will probably read this whole message, I will chronicle other things later. Steve, tomorrow noon is looking like a possibility, but no guarantee.
It will be worth the wait... That's hard to hear now, but the sting won't last forever.

Great pics everyone! Looks like a blast!!
Old 06-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hunt did Rock Chucker and Widow Maker

AFTER

I did.

Hunt DID NOT do Lions Back. I did.

It's pretty crazy when your the one encourageing a crazy man like Hunt to try obsticles. After you did them of course.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ranski
Also, I have heard of stacking rocks to get over an obstacle..BUT SWEEPING THE TRAIL Was that Schaefer in the picture with the broom? Does he have special mounting brackets on the top of his rig for the broom
The sand was full of needle bearings from U-Joints. I kid you not. It was not sand, it was a pile of bearings.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Cliff Hanger was pretty easy, Adrian and Myself just drove the entire trail and chatted. We did not stop and spot anything except for the rock by the creek on the way out but not on the way in.

That trial is just like Arizona and the crawler just walked right through.

Even the big drop on the side of the cliff of death, thanks for letting me go that far BROWN !!!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

right on Schaefer! Glad to hear you did Lions Back and Cliff Hanger. I admit, I have not done Lions Back, and probably will next time. I felt that I had pushed my luck far enough for one trip. Especially on that last obstacle coming out from Double Whammy.

Did you guys get some pics! Where are the PICS!

Needle Bearings...
Old 06-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

it was great wheeling with these guys, lots o fun.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:23 PM

First word.......SICK!

Second word.....JEALOUS!

Third word.......SCARED!

That about covers it.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Birdman
First word.......SICK!

Second word.....JEALOUS!

Third word.......SCARED!

That about covers it.

I know, thinking back and looking at those pictures, I still can't believe both Schaefer and I climbed Rock Chucker. When I first looked at it, I was thinking "no way", I'll break an axle. Then Adrian started talking me into it, and then I started talking Schaefer into it. Schaefer went for his 4Runner, and I knew then, I had to do it. I couldn't let Schaefer have this victory to himself! Schaefer's crawler box made it look a lot easier than my wife's foot on the skinny pedal and the brake. Schaefer got some big time air as well as my wife, but I failed to get a picture. Plus, my wide flairs took some abuse from the rocks, where Schaefer has no flares.....

Old 06-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

We did the first part of Lions Back in 2WD! I forgot to lock the hubs and 100 to 1 and 2nd gear took it right up in 2WD so around 1/2 way up we realized that only the rear wheels were doing anything.

We probably could have gone all the way in 2wd but did indeed play it safe, locked the hubs and continued up in 252 to 1 with all 4 locked.

Brown has VIDS!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
We did the first part of Lions Back in 2WD! I forgot to lock the hubs and 100 to 1 and 2nd gear took it right up in 2WD so around 1/2 way up we realized that only the rear wheels were doing anything.

We probably could have gone all the way in 2wd but did indeed play it safe, locked the hubs and continued up in 252 to 1 with all 4 locked.

Brown has VIDS!
Cool, so did you have to pay money, and if so, how much? Plus, did you have to sign your life away? Man, I gotta see the vids Brown took.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Lions back was pretty scary.

Everyone should do it though, if you have a capable rig, it does cost $10.00 to drive it though.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Brown has VIDS!

wow, that's pretty impressive. i was there, the first part of lion's back is STEEP! was it windy at all? it sure was when i was there. i wanna see the vids
Old 06-01-2004, 08:13 PM

Glad to hear you guys did so well. It sounds like Schaefer's 35" street tires stuck like glue, especially with that crawler. It looks like you guys did some pretty tough trails and optional obstacles. Good job!

Was SteveO the only one to do White Knuckle Hill at the end of Behind the Rocks?

Last edited by JadeRunner; 06-02-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JadeRunner
Was SteveO the only one to do White Knuckle Hill at the end of Behind the Rocks?
We did not run behind the rocks. Hunt did everything I did. So if he did it, I did it. If I did it he did it.

But he has like 8" of lift and 34ish tires. I have 35's and a Marlin Ultimate. You are not going to be able to do what we have done. We both have front ARB's as well.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

It was awesome!

Well we just got home (11pm Tues), we stuck around and played in Arches National Park and left late. I have to say that trip was awesome! Thank you to everyone.

SteveO, nice pics! I hope to see some more from the rest of you. I will get mine up tomorrow as well.

It's weird looking through the pics though, because we did so many obstacles I can't even remember where some of those were :LOL:
Old 06-01-2004, 10:00 PM

Even the big drop on the side of the cliff of death, thanks for letting me go that far BROWN !!!
Hmmm, I told you I made a mistake and that that was the dangerous obstacle, and that I was going to back up. I guess I assumed the fact that you continued on was your own choosing. I must have been unaware of my own cunning.

Cliff Hanger was pretty easy
:wtf:
Steve after traversing the forth obstacle: "Boy, if that was difficult for ME with MY TRUCK, I don't know, Mike, how you and Jim are going to make it over this one." Steve midway through the trail: "This trail is more difficult than I really wanted to do today."

(Erica, tell Steve to stop being an ... )

I have put together some video clips of Double Whammy, Rock Chucker and Widowmaker. I'll try to find a way to get them posted tomorrow. (Anyone who wants to offer web space, PM me.)

Adrian's truck is still unfinished. Caskey spent 2.5 days this weekend trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. Turns out the computer was fried. Today he got a new computer, and now the engine runs. But the exhaust shop did a poor job, and the exhaust leaks. (Such is the fate of those whose plans don't accomodate for Murphey's Law. It's looking like maybe Adrian should just rent an apartment here.)

Originally Posted by SteveO
Man, I gotta see the vids Brown took.
I'm gonna try to put it on a DVD for you, Schaefer, Jim and Adrian.

It was a great trip:
- Schaefer was a nice guy.
- This kids had a great time together (all 7 of them).
- Hunt decided to come just a couple of days before, and we kept it a secret from Schaefer. We're waiting for dinner at a restarant the first night and Hunt walks in. Schaefer was really surprised!
- The weather was very (unseasonably) comfortable.
- Schaefer found us the cheapest hotel in town (a good thing).
- Schaefer seemed truly irritated that I didn't need to use my new locker very often. (The computer still works just fine in most situations. My new nickname from Adrian: "Captian Computer")
- All the wives said they had a great time!

Last edited by Aurora Sandman; 06-01-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:27 PM

Looks like a fun trip. Congrats on doing Double Whammy. Did anyone actually drive up Widowmaker? I see winch lines in all the pics. I know that typically a very small percentage of vehicles are able to actually drive up that one.

The line to the far left on Rock Chucker is totally new to me. I've never seen anyone try that line, but it makes sense to do something different to avoid the typical approach angle problems on the 2nd ledge.
Originally Posted by SteveO
Jim was really hessitant about getting up an obstacle, for fear of busting out his passneger rear quarter window. But, after some coaching, and giving the right bump distance, he powered right up.
Sounds like the "body snatcher" obstacle near the end of Golden Spike. Just ignore all the broken glass that's typically under that rock. Yup, you have to have at least some momentum to do that one right.

It's funny to hear Schaefer's description of the cliff of death on Cliffhanger. It'll certainly catch your attention.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeff the marmot
Did anyone actually drive up Widowmaker?
Yes, both Myself and Hunt. There were people on the winch lines. All they did was load the front end.

Both trucks drove up on there own power. I was first and winched a Jeep up and then they pulled all there people up and I winched Brown and Hughes up.

Hunt, not to be show up by a burrito, drove up as well, with people loading the front end with the line.

Quick Reply: Having fun in Moab