Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Good Trails In Southern California (San Diego) Area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Trails In Southern California (San Diego) Area?

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right board to put this in, but does anyone know of any good offroading trails in the Southern California Area around San Diego? Preferably within 50 miles or so. I usually go out to Ocatilla Wells/Borrego, but i'm looking for some more "local" places for like day trips or something.
Thanks.

-Braden
Old 09-20-2002, 09:29 AM

Braden,

I've heard about trails in Penasquitos (Black Mountain), but have never been. I'm a 2wd. Check out the TTORA board and you might find what you're interested in.

Mike
Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 AM

Oh okay cool thanks. One of my friends was telling me that he heard about some trails in the Black Mountain area, but he headed up there and where the guy said that the trails were, they're starting to build houses or something. I'll definitely check out the TTORA boards.
Thanks for you help!

-Braden
Old 09-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think most people go to borrego. There's also Coyote something and I think that's in the north county. It's on an indian reservation.

The ttora guys go there a lot. Also checkout www.xterraownersclub.com . They have a southern CA section and they're always going somewhere.

Hope that helps a little,
Stev
Old 10-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Back from Pinyon Mountain--alive
Well we made it back from Anza Borrego. The trip was crazy, the most technical 4x ing I have ever done. The "squeeze" was fairly easy, but after that was climbing Pinyon Mtn. a very challenging climb that I got stuck on pretty bad. A locker would have been nice ( I will be getting one as soon as I figure out which one will suit me best). Then came Pinyon dropoff, a slide all the way down huge loose rocks with huge holes that people over time have filled with rocks. After all that there is a lumpy rock wall you must climb. I almost did not make it back from this one. But we did, and I just barely grazed my rear bumper during the whole run.

Anyone thjinking about doing this run should e-mail or post a message to me first.

Marc
Old 10-28-2002, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

I live up in the Orange County Area, 3 miles from the beach. I own a 1995 Toyota 4runner 2WD 3.0LT v6 and i cant take it offroading anywhere!

i wish i could go offroading

the extent of my offroading is going over curbs, lol