Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Emigrant Gap area this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Emigrant Gap area this weekend

I know this is late notice (just found out myself), but I'm gonna be up near Emigrant Gap/Yuba Pass this weekend camping with some friends at Lake Spaulding PG&E site. Was thinking of farting around and going wheeling while I was up there on Saturday and maybe a little on Sunday if there's time. There's no set time frame as of yet - kinda depends on how drunk we get the night before, but most likely sometime in the late morning.

I believe the better-known local trails that look moderate enough for me to go down are Signal Peak and Eagle Lakes/Grouse Ridge. Should be fun and not too hardcore. Would make a nice day trip and not worry about taking damage.

I dunno how many people camping with us are gonna have 4x4s (and those that do are gonna be 100% stock), and I've never wheeled in that area, so anyone who wants to go wheeling, lets go have some fun! Fordyce is out - I don't have enough armor or experience to tackle that trail.

If anyone has any suggestions as to good easy/moderate trails in the vicinity of Emigrant Gap, I'm all ears.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of Cisco Grove you should also wheel down to Fordyce Lake and Lola Montez, both doable in a stock 4x4.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rockalot
Out of Cisco Grove you should also wheel down to Fordyce Lake and Lola Montez, both doable in a stock 4x4.
these seem pretty close to where we will be staying. how would we go about finding these easier trails vs ending up on fordyce?

i think we're gonna run grouse ridge trail for sure since it's very close to where we'll be at.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man i would love to go if it wasnt such short notice.
i live off of elkhorn and 80. i went to kyburz last weekend ( up 50 ) and hit up some of the service trails off of silverfork road. those were a blast and i have a stock 93 yota with 31 bfg a/t. maybe we could get a small group togethere to dick around up there pretty soon.
whattaya think?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 PM

yeah, it was short notice for me, too! i was going up today, but i'm actually not gonna end up going up until tomorrow/sat morning because of some BS. i don't know how much exploring i'll end up doing since it seems all those who are going camping with us are too afraid of getting dirty. even if i have to go out alone, i'm still going - it would be a good time to find moderate trails that i wouldn't mind taking our stock 100 series down - so my fiance can drive her own rig next time.

anyways, i would love to try and plan some stuff for the near future. now that summer is over, my weekends have opened up a little bit and i'm free to go have some fun. day trips work too, even if it's just over to Prairie City! i need to hurry up and get me some new tires so i can try some snow wheeling this season.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

yeah most def. day trips work. kyburz is about 1.5 hours away and there are even trails out there before and after placerville. only thing that sucks is my days off are sunday monday. nice days to have off, but not for weenend wheeling.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

shoot even rattlesnake bar is fun to mess around at. well have to meet up some time soon since we live close.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Didn't want to start up a report thread, so i'll stick it in here. What really sucks is that the good camera didn't have the freakin' memory card in it and the smaller camera ran out of batteries after one pic. I got ONE pic via cellphone for the whole trip. Oh well....

Went up on Sat. and was determined to get some wheeling time in. Ended up going out solo, so didn't want to get into anything risky. First place I went was up off Cisco Grove exit and I ended up wheeling (2wd) Fordyce Lake Road all the way down to the dam. The water was REALLY REALLY low and PG&E guys were workin' away on the bottom of the dam. The water was so low that there was evidence of people taking advantage of the mud in the south section that would normally connect to Lake Sterling. After that, I backtracked a bit and wheeled up to Signal Peak where it was nice and windy and cold. The whole time I was like...this road is really easy...until you go up the last inclines near the top of the peak where the rocks get really jagged/loose - but nothing a stocker shouldn't be able to handle. There was a Jeep JK up there, so it must have been easy, lol.

After that it was getting a little dark, but i was determined to get more wheeling time in, so we hopped back on the hwy and went to the next exit, Eagle Lakes Rd. I then proceeded to follow the trails down into the Pierce OHV area, where I farted around for a while until the sun was starting to set. Didn't want to hang around too long because I guess deer hunting season just started this past weekend and I didn't feel like getting shot or pissing off hunters because I was scaring all the deer away.

But anyways, some of us definitely NEED to get off our asses and start wheeling more! The Pierce OHV area was nice. I dunno how far it goes since it was getting dark and I turned around, but I wheeled it out past the creek crossing and chillaxed for a while out there. There are some really tight turns when you get through those trees, I could see how body damage could be a possibility if not cautious.

here is my one pic atop signal peak:
Attached Thumbnails Emigrant Gap area this weekend-signal-peak-10.3.09.jpg