Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Death Valley '07 Planning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i just want to see that hotel and the manson place. i will bring some holy water and exorcise it. and then tanto's head will turn 180 and then we'll know he is the anti-christ

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 01-25-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
i just want to see that hotel and the manson place. i will bring some holy water and exorcise it. and then tanto's head will turn 180 and then we'll know he is the anti-christ

If I do get to go, and that happens.... Well, we all know what I do for a living...
Old 01-26-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5

Old 01-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

UPDATE

I talked to Mike on TTORA about their upcoming trip and like Darren said, they're swamped with the Calico cleanup for now but they are looking to do their trip in the southern area at this point. They are also looking to make it 2wd friendly so that works for us if we end up deciding to join them for a couple of days.

He's going to talk to the rest of the So-Cal staff about the trip but for now they are interested in doing some wheeling with us.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 PM

Currently we haven't made a solid plan for the DV Run for TTORA just yet. Darrin and I have talked about it, but like it was mentioned earlier, we've been swamped with taking care of Calico Cleanup.

My preference is to run Goler through to Butte, camp in Butte Valley and then out through Warm Springs. This lets you stop and see the Manson place, but not really see much of DV.. The racetrack is on the northern end and is doable as well as warm springs. That is an option too. We are open to suggestions and look forward to seeing you guys out there.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MikeAWood
Currently we haven't made a solid plan for the DV Run for TTORA just yet. Darrin and I have talked about it, but like it was mentioned earlier, we've been swamped with taking care of Calico Cleanup.

My preference is to run Goler through to Butte, camp in Butte Valley and then out through Warm Springs. This lets you stop and see the Manson place, but not really see much of DV.. The racetrack is on the northern end and is doable as well as warm springs. That is an option too. We are open to suggestions and look forward to seeing you guys out there.
I've never been to DV, so the only things that I know of that I'd like to see are the manson place and the racetrack. But if there are old mines, geologists' cabins, etc. that would make for a better overall trip, I could skip the manson cabin and the racetrack.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

How about the first half in the South with TTORA and then the North after the TTORA run is over?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds good!
Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Hey you know what? I sold a System 1.5 lift kit to a park ranger up there. I'll shoot him a line and see of there is anything for the "slow" people.

He'll know. I heard Surprise Canyon is right there, but as everyone knows that is closed.

Last year Bruce led a small group to a little rock crawling trail on the first night....it was short, but "slow" enough to use the sliders at least. That was fun, but I don't think it was much an entire trail, more a side attraction. I'd love to hit up some more of the slow and steep stuff in DV. The expedition trails were fun though, and I'm glad I made it out last year.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:33 PM

It is only a few weeks away. Where/what are the loging arrangements? What will the CB channel be? North or South or both?

I will already be there, on a photography trip; but I would like to join in for at least one of the days, if I know where you will be. We will be based out of the Furnace Creek Ranch for the week.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:09 PM

Bummer. I'm already committed to DV with the 120Forum on March 23rd-25th. Would like to have run with you guys. Last year was so much fun.

Cheers
Mark
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Tentative itinerary posted on first post. If you can make it please comment on which option everyone is interested in so we can finalize our camping arrangements for Monday night.

Those that can attend please post up with total number in your party.

Courtesy pot luck has been scheduled for Saturday night. Please see details on first post.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Slosurfer my son 2.5 yrs. old('93 4runner) Fri-Tues
I have campsite #19 reserved for Friday night, will probably leave Friday morning as it appears to be about a 7 hr. drive.
I vote for Option 1

Last edited by slosurfer; 02-05-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Photog - I will be able to catch up with you on Monday. That looks like the only day I will be able to join in. AND I vote for option 1.

Last edited by Photog; 02-05-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
st. patricks weekend

me & my son(4.5yo) = 2

my plan: leave LA fri (around peak traffic if all goes as planned ) and arrive DV ~10PM (earliest) - leave DV sun eve
Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

I know the first post is very long so make sure to take the time to read thru the book. I got carried away while attempting to keep myself occupied watching the darn super bowl game yesterday.

Camping is noted on the top and also on the bottom with details on how to make arrangements. I've also included caravan options available so if you can post up location/eta on departure that'll help build a profile so we can all try to leave around the same time. the drive out to dv is rather dull so going up as a group will definitely be more entertaining than enjoyin the darkness alone.

The second half of the trip has an alternate route. This route will heavily depend on where we stay so please post up on which option best suits your fancy. We'll go with a majority vote in the next few days so make sure to voice your opinions!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:07 PM

Are PSR and Stovepipe dog friendly?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

PSR and Stovepipe Wells are both pet friendly (leash required).
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Bump.....
Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Hey Lance, both the Sunday itinerary and the Monday Option 2 itinerary look too thick. I don't think it will be possible to complete those runs in the daylight and enjoying some of the mines, etc., especially if there is a larger group.

As an FYI, Echo Canyon to the dryfalls and back is prolly a half-day run, with the expectation that you will stop and check out the mines and have lunch on the trail. Finishing out Butte Valley and also doing Johnson Canyon will probably take up most of the day if you also Hike to Hungry Bills.

When we did the Pleasant Canyon/South Park loop last year, I think we left PSR by 9:00AM and we arrived back there at sunset. That was with only five vehicles and not many stops.

Quick Reply: Death Valley '07 Planning Thread