Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

CO4RJ 2007 Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think splitting up into 2 groups "easy and scenic" and "moderately difficult" is a good idea. Yes it's a little more work but why reinvent the wheel - this has been done before - 3 or 4 CO4RJ's have been held in BV before... Trails have been chosen for these options in past CO4RJ's. Lot's of resources to pull from in past co4rj's in this area.

I think the easy/scenic trails are good for stockers and newer drivers - maybe with a few challenging spots and the moderately difficult trails would appeal to the moderate and hardcore guys since these trails have lines to challenge the slightly modified to the heavily modified. I have a feeling this is where most people would end up. That could be an issue (like it was one year) that only 2 or 3 people of the 25 or so wanted to run easy so they were kind of left out in the cold.

John
Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 PM

The one year I went (2004) they had an easy run and something more difficult. For example, Saturday was Chinaman's for the tougher trail and Mt. Antero for the easier trail. Sunday was Wheeler Lake for the tough trail and I don't remember for the easier trail. The groups seemed split up numbers-wise and each day's run went smooth.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Molly and I volunteer to be trail leaders (and setup preruns etc) for a more challenging group.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
I think splitting up into 2 groups "easy and scenic" and "moderately difficult" is a good idea.

John
Yeah put me in for the "moderately difficult" runs mate. I'd like to see if I can get a scratch on my new sliders.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Last edited by Jake94; 05-31-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:34 AM

Well, I didn't mean to make things harder on you Ric. I know that you guys taking this on is a huge responsibility and we all appreciate it. I also know that if we were going to run strictly "scenic" runs I have no reason to go, and I am not the only one on this boat.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:36 AM

some quick searching and here are some of the trails/schedules that were run on past CO4RJ's...

from 2003....
Thurs:
Hancock/Tomichi:
Holy Cross City:

Fri:
Antero/Baldwin Lake
Wheeler Lake:
Iron Chest Mine:

Sat:
McCallister/Ptarmigan:
Taylor Pass:
Old Chinamans Gulch:

From 2004
Friday
Hancock/Tomichi Passes (rating: 3)
Holy Cross City (rating: 8)

Saturday
Taylor Pass/American Flag Mtn.
Wheeler Lake (rating: 6)
Glacier Ridge

Sunday
Mount Antero and the off-shoot to Baldwin Lake
Old Chinaman's Gulch (rating: 7)

From 2005
Biggest Rocks: Holy Cross above the City, Iron Chest, Chinamen's. Minesweeper may be added for dillution and these are in order.

Medium Rocks: Wheeler Lake, Taylor Pass, Grizzly Lake, Hancock/Tomichi Pass. Others may be added depending on numbers

Scenic Rocks: Weary Man/Resolution Gulch, Mount Antero with offshoots

John
Old 05-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Molly and I volunteer to be trail leaders (and setup preruns etc) for a more challenging group.
Originally Posted by HaveBlue
- This will be an "easy" and "moderate" event only. So, if you show up expecting "hard core", you'll be disappointed. You've been warned. Don't whine about it.
This was established early on. There will be no hardcore or difficult runs.

Additionally, so far, there have been only nine families who have reserved a spot through the reservations page. That means, so far, we only have to contend with NINE vehicles on any ONE trail. There are lots of people here that are talking about going, but only NINE people are serious. I don't think we'll need to worry about trail congestion with NINE vehicles. On the other hand, if you are serious about attending, please make your reservations early. We will not make our trail decisions based on how many people are "interested" in attending when only nine have shown they are serious. And those nine are aware that they were signing up for easy to moderate trails.
WE WILL NOT BE RUNNING HARDCORE/DIFFICULT TRAILS. If this upsets you, the solution is exceedingly simple - don't submit a reservation and don't show up.
There will be TWO groups - EASY and MODERATE. Trails have yet to be chosen.

And a reminder - the deadline is July 2nd. So, if we don't have your reservations by then, you will not be included in the raffle or the BBQ.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 05-18-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Yeah I heard you, Cool your jets...
Some of us have reserved hotels/cabins so going off of campsites might not be the most proficient way to keep count. And if I am not mistaken, those who want to... run something more difficult / attend the event / see old friends shouldn't bother? Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Wow. That's a very non-yotatech point of view.

What ever happened to fostering unity and good will among all Toyota 'wheelers regardless of equipment build or experience?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Sorry - Alan's post kind of rubbed me the wrong way - let me clarify:

Nobody has mentioned HARDCORE runs. I have not seen one person interested in BV Carnage. We are talking about Moderate to Hard-Moderate runs that a well protected vehicle can run with a decent driver open/open, or a less experienced driver with a locker (or two). I'm thinking Holy Cross (at least up to the city, optional from there) and OCG, maybe Iron Chest.

Molly and I are volunteering to handle everything in regards to this group - preruns, trail leading, etc. There would be NO additional work required from all you guys have already done. Simply set the time to be back, and we will be back (barring unforseen circumstances of course).

I have to say, with the current gas prices, I'm feeling the same way as Mayhem - I'm not going to drive that far just to do "scenic" runs - there's plenty of those a lot closer to home.

Expanding the trail options would have the benefit of expanding the pool of people who are interested in coming with little (I can't really think of any) downside.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Look if you guys decide not to include hardewr runs that is fine but like Mayhem said Some of us do want a bigger challenge AND be able to see Yotatech friends. All of us posting here obviously belong to YT and should feel welcome to go to the Jambo even if we choose not to do the easy runs with you. We can make our own plans if that is what you would prefer. If so Then I can already tell who is interested in a harder run and I will offer for them to join Troy and I. We all want to at least have dinner with you all and say hello even if we don't run the same trail.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric

if everyone that is now stepping up and volunteering, would have done this from the beginning, we wouldnt be having issues now.
Oh I volunteered way back when we had dinner at CB potts in Jan/Feb. I have always been an open volunteer to lead harder trail runs but have never been contacted further. Just an FYI there guys....
Old 05-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

The CO4RJ is basically like any other trail run someone would organize but on a slightly larger scale. If I were to post that I was going to run Pomeroy this weekend, would you pitch a fit until I changed my mind and ran the trail you wanted to run? Likewise, if you announced you were going to run up Carnage and I pitched a fit saying "I want to run Slaughterhouse!" What would you do?
From the get-go, we stated very clearly this would be an easy/moderate event this year. I have received messages from people who will be in the vicinity, want to meet up with old friends, want to run the more challenging trails, but understand that this particular event will be an easy/moderate event.

If you want to reserve a cabin/hotel/cardboard box outside of the CO4RJ reserved area but want to still be part of easy/moderate group, we have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH THAT. However, I do need an accurate head count so that we can buy the stuff for the BBQ accordingly. So, if you're providing your own accommodations but want to be part of the CO4RJ, please PM or e-mail me with a total count (i.e. you, your spouse, # children, etc).

Ric and I are organizing this year's CO4RJ an EASY/MODERATE event. Those who want to organize difficult runs can organize their own corresponding event. The site we reserved (using our own cash) has been reserved for the EASY/MODERATE group. If you want to organize difficult runs, you'll need to reserve a section at Chalk Creek (or anywhere else for that matter).

As for the "non-Yota Tech point of view"...so be it. Nobody else stepped up 3 months ago to organize this. Nobody else offered up their cash to reserve the camp site or pay for the shirts and stickers up front. And nobody else is busting their ass organizing contributors to the raffle like Ric has been doing. If you don't like the way it's being run this year, I strongly encourage you to step up next year and organize CO4RJ the way you want.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Oh I volunteered way back when we had dinner at CB potts in Jan/Feb. I have always been an open volunteer to lead harder trail runs but have never been contacted further. Just an FYI there guys....
Where were you when the thread was posted for volunteers to actually organize the event? (see my previous post)
Old 05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Jeeze Alan.. Pipe down. I have no ill will - only saying I offered to Ric I could lead and he responded with a good response - that everyone offered *THAT* LOL.

Look I have been part of organizing an event 3x this size 6 years in a row. (Moab Zu Zoo) It was a PITA. Kudos to you all who are doing it.

We don't need to get all bent out of shape. Those of us who want to run something harder but say hello to our fellow YT friends will go ahead and make alternate plans and won't get in your way - or cause any problems. I think That was the only thing I was trying to say.

You've done a great service to the YT community and I think everyone is grateful.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Jeeze Alan.. Pipe down. I have no ill will - only saying I offered to Ric I could lead and he responded with a good response - that everyone offered *THAT* LOL.
That's what I meant, too, but can see (combined with previous posts) where it might have come across as being abrasive. For that, I apologize.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

We don't need to get all bent out of shape. Those of us who want to run something harder but say hello to our fellow YT friends will go ahead and make alternate plans and won't get in your way - or cause any problems. I think That was the only thing I was trying to say.
Cool. Problem solved. Let's move on.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Cool. Problem solved. Let's move on.
Werd up - x2 Thanks again Alan and Ric - you both have spent a lot of time to put this together and it it will be a great event!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:04 PM

Alan, I respect that you are sticking to your guns an keeping it how you planned it. I've said from the beginning to whoever steps up and plans it - make the rules and those who like it will come and those who don't will not. You can't please everyone.

So, I guess my question is what is defined as moderate for this event? I think it might be helpful for those trying to make plans whether to attend or not to know (at least a good guess) of what trails you are considering for the event.

John

Quick Reply: CO4RJ 2007 Official Thread