Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

CO4RJ 2007 Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ric
This is a "YotaTech thing, from the very begining, and From my understanding (and this has been said before) its never been open/posted up on other forums, or to the general public, just here.
And to clarify and keep history correct (from those of us there since the the 1st co4rj) - this started out as a 4x4 Wire Event. Started by a "forefather" of 3RD gen 4Runner modifications - Jeff the Marmot. Yotatech was not even in existence back then. And it has been posted in other places before.... That's right Yotatech. It migrated (as did a lot of people) to yotatech and has been primarily posted here - but has popped up in other local forums as well. The main goal in the past was to keep it a Toyota thing - so it wasn't a real issue where it was posted.

Not trying to harp on anyone - but I can see now how history can get twisted with misinformation. So consider that the .2 cent history lesson of CO4RJ.

Here's the 1st CO4RJ group heading out of Chalk Creek....

John

Last edited by Mojo_Risin; 05-18-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Jeff tha Marmot started Co4rj? No way? He was a good friend to me when I was on 4x4 wire as an isuzu wheeler - and would help plan the Moab Zu Zoo every year in May! I need to hunt him down some time...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:37 PM

I guess my main question is can we stay with the group in the group tent site at Chalk Creek, hang out, attend the BBQ and raffle, and run a more difficult run that day with others that want to push ourselves and our trucks (not nessessarly tearing up our rigs )? I won't be affended if you say "No". I understand planning an event of this size is very tough and time consuming, and I'll be the first to say, Thank you!

Several of us have PM'ed each other about the above plan and I don't want to show up with that plan and affend Alan and Ric.

Like somebody said earlier in the thread, what's going to be the defination of Moderate? I can handle "Moderate" as Chinamans or Holy Cross. But if Moderate is going to be Mt. Antero and Wheeler Lake, I might have to pass with gas prices as high as they are.

Thanks again!
Aaron

Last edited by Volcom; 05-18-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess I don't see why it can't be a stocker friendly event and a moderately challenging rocker friendly event too. Unless you guys are hoping to have the whole group on the same trail or something. Seems like to me there are plenty of volunteers to lead or tailgun. I know I'd be willing to tailgun, I'd lead too but the only trail I've run there is Wheeler lake and that was just one time. Or is it something else like the raffle that's causing all the concern? Personally I could do without the raffle and BBQ if that's the problem.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Ric is spot on.
The easy trails will be for anyone with a completely stock vehicles with running boards.
Moderate trails will be good for anyone with a mild lift and slightly larger tires.

Ric and I will be getting together next Thursday to determine which trails we might want to run. We wanted to have that done a long time ago, but a number of things have prevented that for me (sick son, sick wife, sick me, flooded house, food poisoning, and a broken hand all in the span of 2 months).
I've been desperately wanting to get out to do some pre-runs, but it's been a challenge to drive to work with a broken hand. I can't even image wheeling with a broken hand. But, it's nearly heeled now. I can use both hands on the steering wheel

Last edited by HaveBlue; 05-19-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:54 AM

THIS has been fun, as well as a learning experience....
Old 05-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what if I make a last minute decision about coming down? It is hard to plan too far in advance with my work. What if I blasted at the last minute. Will there be a place for me to camp? Can I join the wheeling?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, For those of you looking to do harder runs, i plan on being in the area running the tough trails that weekend. I will not be camping with the group, and repsect their wishes to run the easier trails. If I am welcome, i would love to stop by and say hello, and chit chat, but will not interfere with the event in anyway.

I think that the guys planning this want to get out, enjoy the mountains, and see some scenic stuff. I think that is great, and hope they have fun. As Alan said, this is a trail run expanded to a weekend, and that is a great way to do it.

For those of you who want to do harder runs, i will be up there, and running. I'll start another thread as we get closer, but you are all welcome.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Well, For those of you looking to do harder runs, i plan on being in the area running the tough trails that weekend. I will not be camping with the group, and repsect their wishes to run the easier trails. If I am welcome, i would love to stop by and say hello, and chit chat, but will not interfere with the event in anyway.

I think that the guys planning this want to get out, enjoy the mountains, and see some scenic stuff. I think that is great, and hope they have fun. As Alan said, this is a trail run expanded to a weekend, and that is a great way to do it.

For those of you who want to do harder runs, i will be up there, and running. I'll start another thread as we get closer, but you are all welcome.
Sounds good. I know there about about 6 others that feel the same way.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:11 PM

ya... me too.

Aaron, we will run BV carnage
Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
ya... me too.

Aaron, we will run BV carnage
See thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/buena-vista-area-august-10th-12th-116212/
Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM

And hilarity ensues.

This raises the issue of conflict between the people and the wheeling. Events are usually about the people more than the wheeling by default as you can never please all the people with only the wheeling.

I believe the first CO4RJ was even started on V-mag, but Jeff was the front runner then. It predates YT solidly.

The spirit of the event is up to the spirit of the organizers.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

I'm glad that this is easy runs, as it gives new people, just coming into the sport, a great introduction with great people. The folks organizing are doing a fantastic job, and i know everyone will have a great time.

As was said, the event is about the people. I'm going up because i like the people. I'm going to drive the trails i want, and I am excited to be hanging out with folks in camp. Realling looking forward to meeting new folks too. It will be great to put names screen names, although i will forget your name almost imediately

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
The spirit of the event is up to the spirit of the organizers.
Exactly.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AxleIke
I'm glad that this is easy runs, as it gives new people, just coming into the sport, a great introduction with great people. The folks organizing are doing a fantastic job, and i know everyone will have a great time.

As was said, the event is about the people. I'm going up because i like the people. I'm going to drive the trails i want, and I am excited to be hanging out with folks in camp. Realling looking forward to meeting new folks too. It will be great to put names screen names, although i will forget your name almost imediately

Exactly.
this will prob be the first event I meet you at Issac, and yeah ive noticed ppl still call me neliconcept lol even though some of us in Southeast have met.

looking foward to it.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

So Blake you'll be out here by then? COOL! I'll see ya there too. Though I will not be running the same trails as the CO4RJ event I will be sure to stop in and say hello to my YT friends after the trails. It will be so nice to put names with faces! (Though I got your face down pat Blake!)
Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neliconcept
this will prob be the first event I meet you at Issac, and yeah ive noticed ppl still call me neliconcept lol even though some of us in Southeast have met.

looking foward to it.
I'm looking forward to meeting you too man!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:24 PM

If you want to hang with these people, attend this event and wheel these undisclosed trails.

Exclusivity has been clear from the outset.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Okay...i was off base and out of the loop.

Apologies to all, i will not be bothering you. My mistake.

I hope i will be able to meet new faces and see old friends another time.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Important Notice

Since my partner in organizing this event has been banned (two weeks), I am stepping down as organizer of this year's CO4RJ.

If anyone wishes to step up and take over, please contact me by PM or e-mail. I will forward the few campsite reservations I have received and I will coordinate with Ric to get the raffle prizes to you.

If no one steps up by JULY 2nd, I will automatically refund all campsite reservations.

Thank you for your understanding.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Wow, it too bad to hear about this. This event took off in the wrong direction from the start, but I was hoping we could work things out. I was going to post this today, so I'll post it anyway.

You guys have stepped up and volunteered to organized the CO4RJ this year, we all appreciate that and want to respect your decisions. But in all due respect please recognize that this is THE Colorado 4Runner Jamboree and many people have been going to this for years. It's a special event that many of us look forward to every year because IT's the only large Colorado event that's centered around 3rd Gen 4Runners, yes we always welcome others. Land Cruiser guys have Cruise Moab, Isuzu guys have the ZUK (spelling?) etc.., but this is the YotaTech 3rd Gen centered event. Many of us have modified out Runner over the years and like to run harder trails, please don't exclude us.

I imaging you trying to prevent the tough guy, watch me spank this obstacle with my bad arse rig attitude that we had problems with for a few years. That's fine, I'm sure the "community at large agrees". All we want to do is have the option to potentially run trails like Chinamans, Holy Cross, Wheeler and I was thinking I would consider Iron Chest this year. Many of us have experience with all these trails and would be more that happy to help with the planning if you haven't run them. The only significant thing a pre-run will tell you is how bad French Creek is this year or how bad the rocks are on Iron Chest. The real work should be around trying to get people on the trail the want and with the people they want to run with. We hate to see you get so burdened with the food and the raffle, that's nice and all but most of really just want to wheel with old friends, check out their rigs, learn for others on the trail and socialize around the fire with some drinks.

Quick Reply: CO4RJ 2007 Official Thread