Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

1st Annual YotaTech Devil's Canyon Run

Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st Annual YotaTech Devil's Canyon Run

We're going to make this run October 14. At least three vehicles would be nice. It would be great to have a spotter with each vehicle and sounds like from the other thread this will not be a problem. No-one in the SoCal YotaTech familia, to my knowledge, has run this one so this will be the ice-breaker.

Meeting place is off the Mtn Springs exit on a stretch of the Old Hwy 80 abandoned road. This is the top of trail so its a good spot for those that want to park and ride. Meeting time is 9am at this location. East I-8 exit Mtn springs, turn right then left onto the old road. Once the group has gathered we will run the trail from this location and end up at waypoint 15.

Requirments are 33"s, lockers, winch or 35"s lockers, strap and plenty of armor. This is an at your own risk trail. Limit 10 vehicles. All the necessary gear to save oneself are highly suggested. Those interested in camping can most likely pick a spot close to the trail but it will most definately be primitive - pack it in/pack it out. Let's not ruin this chance at keeping one of, if not the, hardest trails in SD County open. The trail lies in the Yuha Desert Recreation Area.

Here's the best link for a local map:
http://www.macamar.com/sitefiles/gal.../Waypoints.htm

A pre-run hike will take place on September 23rd at 4:00pm. We will hike it going down. It will be nice to hike the canyon as it's cooling down, therefore the time. Bring food and water.

I'd like to thanks Vern Britain and Steve Unwin for opening this trail for all to enjoy.

Post Up.

Last edited by Sleeper; 10-12-2006 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Updated Run Info
Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, end of Sept is good also. That was actually pretty fun being a spotter and just hiking most of John Bull. It looks like a very challenging trail.

Here's the link from the other thread-
Devils Canyon pics/trip report

This looks like a solid axle only type run. Hopefully all of our recent converts will be able to make this.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:41 PM

well, mind if i run with one of you guys? no way im getting my stock'er down there... but id love to go. meet at the trail head?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:13 PM

I would also like to come watch this trail being ran. I once tried to ride my motor cycle up that trail, back when i had a dual sport bike, and it was pretty difficult. my friend could not make it very far and i got kinda freaked out being up there alone so i turned back like a wimp HMMMM...I wonder if i can borrow a trials bike.
Mike
Old 08-28-2006, 04:25 PM

Anybody is certaintly welcome. As soon as we can get a secure date we'll start on more specifics.

Mikey - when are you getting back from the islands?

Parking at the top (end of trail) and hiking in might be an option for those who may be on foot only. THe hike itself should be pretty bitchin'.

Let's get 'er done.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:51 PM

oh i see how it is you guys are all going to park and watch blacksheep and me wreck our trucks..... thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 08:00 PM

http://www.macamar.com/sitefiles/gal...rail/index.htm

here's that link to the info
Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by wifesaysimadumbass
oh i see how it is you guys are all going to park and watch blacksheep and me wreck our trucks..... thanks
At "Spotters Are Us" we pride ourselves in minimal body damage. It's all about the high line. Soooooooo when is the island trip
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 PM

i'll be back form maui on oct 1 then i gotta move so maybe we can do this the middle of october?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:11 PM

You guys are nuts if you go up that, long time ago as boy scouts we hiked down that canyon, hardest hike I ever did. but i wouldn't mind seeing how far I can go without damage. It's a cool area to check out. at the bottom there's lot of washes and I remember there was some area that had a natural spring, that the indians used.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:44 PM

What about a pre hike of the trail? Is it possible to leave most of the trucks at the end and use a couple of the vehicles to drop everyone else off at the beginning?
That would be the best case scenario, and give us time to enjoy the actual hike. Plus any of the victims... I mean willing participants that actually want to give this trail a try in their truck would have a chance to check it out without risking major damage.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:16 AM

in the words of yoda "No try only do!" i want to check it out but i wont let it phsyc me out..... i mean cmon if jeeps can get through......
Old 08-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

This sounds like it is gonna get way out of control. Soooooo I will definetly try to be there. Rob the hike sounds like a really good idea. Is there any climbing. Maybe Josh can show us some cool rope stuff?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:57 AM

I like the pre-run hike to see what's what? If it's okay with everyone else let's try to do that on the weekend of the 16th (Sept).

Rob - I like the idea of having some trucks at one end of the hike but let's start hiking at the end of the trail that way it's all downhill. This would be easier if any kids tag along as well.

Andy
Old 08-29-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by freejake3
He Rob, will you be able to make it towards the end of the month.
Post Up.
I can go as long as its before the 28th, otherwise Im out, End of the month is the worst time for me to leave in Retail.Other then that, Im all game.I like to shoot too.

I plan on running the whole trail with out looking. Like Mikey said, if heeps can do it, then gosh darnet, so can yota!!

Last edited by blacksheep; 08-29-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:33 AM

Looks like we may be running this one in mid-October. Maybe some more folks will be able to join in by then. I still like the pre-run hike in mid September so let's shoot for that and maybe following we can run over to Valley of the Moon.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

There are some recent pics on the "Just Runs" site...looks really tough

http://www.justruns.com/gallery2/v/R...n+001.jpg.html
Old 08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Cool pics and the camera personel are okay to.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:31 PM

i was thinking that too...... i think i got some work to do on the rig to get her ready
Old 08-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by wifesaysimadumbass
i was thinking that too...... i think i got some work to do on the rig to get her ready
Dont be backing out, were in this together. I can always drag you through

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Annual YotaTech Devil's Canyon Run