Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Should i Buy this????? 88 Sr5

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
OOOH, no wheels and tires? Or is it just stockies on there? BTW... it's funny... everyone has different tastes.. I"ve never liked the pizza cutter wheels like that... but hey, they're ALUMINUM AND LIGHT AND NOT BAD lookin... even to me... Sorry you wouldn't get em! Did he put those on his other rig he's driving, too?

Timing cover had a HOLE IN IT? Hmmm... Again, unless he tried to mount it w/out pulling the head and pan and FUBAR'D the HG.... Not sure how 3#'s of RTV would fix that... And also... if he meant "the timing cover has a hole in it where the chain wore through".. THAT, my friend, would make total sense to this story, especially since it was 'CHAIN' related, hahaha.

BTW.... your 87 looks nice, man! That your DD-Beauty? hahaha...

PS> You just got off the phone with him.... Did ya ask him if he'd take 300$? "NO? How about 350$?".. kinda thing, ....at all?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry,too many IFS for me...pass!!! i hear ya chef,i actually had a set of those wheels that came with a truck,had to GIVE them away!!!

Last edited by cman1; 08-09-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:30 AM

If you could get it for 3 or 4 hundy then why not. Slap on a new T-chain and see how she runs. If it ends up being a turd you can easily part it to make your money back.

And those wheels are HIDEOUS!

Edit: the last couple posts weren't there when I typed this. (watching Olympics) Guess I'm not the only one who don't like the wheels.

Last edited by 85TurboRunner; 08-09-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:36 AM

hahaha... I was trying to be nice, guys! lol... Just not my style..... Just like I know lots don't like the Outlaw2's, and they're nearly my favorite looking wheel on this trucks... Each to his own, ya know? lol. But yes, they're hideous! hahaha. It's funny, cuz I never liked regular Centerlines on these, either,....the kind with no holes? HATE that look... But some love it!

Anyway, besides the point, cuz as he said, "I DON'T GET THESE WHEELS!" hehehe...

So, ...OP, .... WHICH WHEELS do you get, if any?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say $500 tops if you're prepared to do tons of work. That motor has been sitting open for god knows how long, you cant test drive it so who knows whats wrong with the driveline, etc. It doesnt seem like it has too much rust considering the condition of the rest of the truck. If nothing else you have a truck to sas and just beat.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
id say 3-400 tops. if you do get it i would do a motor swap rather then rebuild the existing motor. i say this because who knows where are all the bolts? wheres the rest of the parts? as well as the hole in the timing chain cover you will spend a lot of time chasing parts are trying to figure out how he took it apart. im not opposed to rebuilding somebody elses project ive done a few myself but you have to buy it right.

heres another thought...he if tried to patch a hole in a timing cover with FIPG,,, what else did he short cut on the truck??
Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Looking at the T-chain cover and where all the blue goop is, it looks like the front of the head gasket gave out leaving quite a gap to fill.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM

A set of stock 95 15in toyota wheels come on it with "decent tires", and yes chef chain wore a hole i believe, and i just like them wheels cause the tires are practically new! and i told him i could do around 4-5 and he said he couldnt do 4, but im going to try and keep talking to him, and i have a buddy with a spare 22r with a not so good head and a wore out bottom end but fairly new chain i was going to see if i could "borrow" the chain and cover to see how it runs
Old 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM

i bought an 87 and drove it home for 250 bucks.. just saying
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 PM

can get a kit on ebay for timing cover, water pump, oil pump, gaskets except HG and all for 100 bucks
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-Pickup-4R...ht_2764wt_1166)

Last edited by 87yotaaa; 08-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM

id love to find a deal like that bone collector, cant seem to find it round here
Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM

EDIT this kit for 116 with everything, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-T...ht_2871wt_1166
Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM

I would be a little wary of those cheap E-Bay kits. I'm sure the paper gaskets are fine but the HG and other components like oil pump and T-chain may be suspect.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:29 PM

Haha ya anyways I can never come across anything even driveable around here in PA for that much!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 PM

hopefully it will be okay for just a play truck 85 turbo runner
Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Hey man,

Ya know, if it were me.... and it's not... I would take that buddies 22r(if he's givin it to me) and tear it and the other one down.... decide which block/crank/head is more worth giving a once over(Maybe take bits and pieces from each like Frankenstein!)... Have one or the other blocks readied for a re-ring, hot tank the crap out of it and give it a hone, slap in whichever crank is best(whether it needs a turn or not), have the heads double checked and pick which one/maybe piece them together to make one good head(switching around burnt out valves, picking the best rockers, have the rockers lapped real quick, new seals >>>>)>>> order a Engnbldr kit(order a full kit if I'm gonna have to bore either of them).... Slap it together and call her SALLY! You'd be SHOCKED what you could get away with on price if you make friends with your local machinist and offer to help/or ask your local mechanics school if they'd wanna bore and hone a block WITH THEIR TEACHER, etc....

.......then go through the brakes.....

.......then at LEAST flush and fill all the fluids throughout, including brake fluid...

.......then SLAP SOME CARPET SCRAPS IN THERE, anything but that, if you can't get it cleaned up

.......check all the lights and such and make sure they all work, replace those which don't, check to see if any keep blowing out, etc., etc.......

.......cap, rotor, plugs wires? Maybe... depends how it runs... at least cap, rotor and plugs.... too cheap to skip

Far as the chain kit.... wow, that's so cheap! hahaha... Might very well be LITERALLY cheap, not just fiscally.... But I can't know. "If it's too good to be true........ it usually is"..... THOUGHT GMB was all Japan made OEM Specs stuff..... I had a GMB Water pump in for 254K miles... NEVER a hiccup til it started WHINNNING, lol. 250K, not bad. STILL, I'd stick with engnbldr... pretty cheap too...and most guys have run that kit and don't seem to think it's LITERALLY cheap/crap. Personally I'd be very careful with HG's, Tensioners, ....chain, etc., things you'll have to tear all the way down again to get to?

You wont know if EITHER motor is worth it/or what it'll need, ultimately.... UNTIL YOU BUY THE TRUCK, right? hahaha... So there ya go... And I'm not saying 'NOOO, DON'T PUT A TIMING KIT ON THAT TIRED OLD, RUSTED OUT, CARBON RIDDLED, POSSIBLY ABOUT TO FREEZE UP MOTOR.... but I wouldn't without checking a lil deeper, ya know? So why not grab that buddies motor and start doing a "My Garage Pick-Your-Part" session? hehehe.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 PM

BTW.... I'm just having fun trying to do a lil "PRE-PURCHASE HYPOTHETICAL" thing here hahaha.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM

i do hope you get it and make it all you want it to be. I just dont want to see you get burned by paying too much and then having to dump to much into it. i know i got lucky on my 87. but i also passed on a few trucks that just didnt "feel" right. best of luck n whatever you decide
Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 PM

Ughh.... I feel so lazy after seeing one of ChefYota4x4's posts. Stop posting such large descriptive answers.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Gahhh chef thats alot but i do appreciate all your doin to help, and what you think talk him down to 4? and i dont think im going to be able to do all that with his motor ya know? but still. i kinda want something to just piddle on, a little at a time then get it right!

Quick Reply: Should i Buy this????? 88 Sr5