Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Should i Buy this????? 88 Sr5

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i Buy this????? 88 Sr5

So i man contacted me with an 88 sr5 toyota that the po had taken the timing chain out to put in another truck, im kinda on the fence bout that but it aint a bad lookin truck, i know how to replace a timing chain and can prob get the truck for $500, he wants 7, but what do yall think?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 08-08-2012, 08:22 PM

i dont think the man would go that low...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Hmmmmm, are you gonna make it a driver again? I'm thinking 3-4 tops looks pretty rough. If you were going to use it as a parts truck will you get the cash out of it? interior looks pretty worn motor looks a mess. But I might see it different, if your going to make it a driver I would imagine you could find better at least drivable for more but would cost you less to get the truck where you want it. Let us know what you do
Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Its going to be my "play truck/hunt truck" but may still drive it to school and such, but i will try and talk him down, hopefully i can slap a timing chain in it and then shell run good, but my odds aint very good, i dont want to spend alot of $ in it but i may anyways, it just all depends, and it will be a build thread if i get it!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Question: Why would a guy take a timing chain out of a good running engine?

Answer: He wouldn't.

I'm bettin' that motor is due for a full rebuild. If you have the time, and money, to rebuild that truck from the ground up... go for it. If not, keep shopping.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 PM

i can get a kit and attempt to do it myself..., but im tight on $$$$$$$$
Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

If you feel comfortable with the work involved, and can get it for the right price, go for it.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 PM

If your tight on loot I figure that would be the last thing you should buy. Save some more and get something better, but that's just me.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like a money pit to me... I agree with the 'wait if you're tight on $' point...

BUT, if you have the time/maybe some spare parts/can give it a turn of the crank just to be sure it's not COMPLETELY seized.... Throw in some carpet and other things, cheap... MAYBE. That's not even considering if the drivetrain is good/Trans, axles/diff's/brakes/..... it could quickly add up to a 2500$ truck, EASY... for which I could buy a pretty clean 4Runner, running, just passed smog the other day, right now.... Probably get it for 1700$ or so...

Just make a list of what you COULD be spending... then decide if you're gonna have that money to repair things(should they need it)...then why not get something running/passing inspection at least?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 PM

what do yall think a good price would be? i have like 700$ now. im a junior in school, dad would prob help out a little, im good with a wrench and great with a spray can! lol
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 PM

i was going to check drivetrain best i can, can check axles, rearends, but how trans with no motor?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 87yotaaa
i was going to check drivetrain best i can, can check axles, rearends, but how trans with no motor?
Ask some questions is your best bet but your probably not going to get many answers for that price, as said before the truck was parked for a reason and really who knows. Are you in a pinch for time? Are these trucks rare in your part of the woods. No way to tell squat unless it's running, I mean you can check the obvious but the biggest most expensive parts are the ones you can't really check till you dig in. I don't know man I'm hearing a lot of passes but then again I'm getting old and that just looks like alot of work and cash.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 PM

I WOULD SAY; "First thing, get it in neutral and turn that crank. You'll know if it's fairly or totally siezed... That's a BIG deal, could get pretty costly. ".... Problem is.... NO CHAIN, and if the head is attached, .... cam bolted down... some valves will be open, thus meeting mister piston against their will?(no, not violently as if it were running... but STILL! haha.. Don't wanna do that as a rule, ya know? It COULD damage something). You could ask him if you could break the head bolts loose and pull the rocker tower.... you know, to "be sure I can turn the crank and also that I don't ding any valves unnecessarily in the process?" Pull the valve cover, as well, RIGHT OFF, and look for chocolate milk all over the place. Oh, and WHOMEVER had their mitts on that poor motor... Looks like they used a paint brush to slather Blue RTV all over the timing cover gaskets and water pump.... .Maybe on top so much because they tried to pinch it in there and CAUSED CARNAGE upon the HG? And where's the oil pump? Might need a radiator too since he was using it as a table?

Far as the CV's, checking 4WD; Could lift the front and let it droop fully and put it in 4WD and turn the wheels at steering stuffed both ways... listen for 'CLICKITY CLICK', etc.... And look for torn boots, obviously(add that to the list if they're torn). Check for LOTS of pinion play in the rear end/u joints, that stuff. Look for axle seals and such leaking down the back of the wheels in rear? Some of which isn't a BIG deal, just a bit of perseverance to get it done.

Gonna be hard to check the trans, yes.... You don't wanna turn the motor over right now even if you could. If the motor was OUT, you could probably find a way to turn the input shaft and go through the gears... Not sure as it sits right now.

Gotta hope the steering is all good, too... Linkage, pump, gear box(all of which can also be had at yards.... And it MAY all be fine on that end, too, to be fair).

LOTTA IF'S, ya know? Can't ever know 100% on any project what you're getting into..but this is CLEARLY needing a bit of work and could be at least a couple grand to go through it all and reverse the neglect, ya know?

HEY MAN, IF YOU DON'T MIND doing lots of work and taking the chance that it might be seized, etc., etc., ... then go for it, ya know? I would NEVER want someone to not get something they wanted simply cuz I wouldn't do it, honest. Not my style... I just don't want to see YOUUUUUUUU paying a price in the end for trying to save on a 'project', when you really are in a tight financial point in your life, right?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-08-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 AM

bed dont look to bad, for 500 even if it needed a motor, id do it
Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM

im going to try and talk him down to 3 or 4..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
i'd say 3-400 bucks.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM

3-400$ seems a lot more reasonable for something needing so much work/possibly money dumped into it.

I actually really hope you DO get it(if it's something you can tackle and afford to repair/road ready)... LOVE watching resto-builds like Terrys_87
Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 AM

those wheels and tires dont come with it. i want those wheels!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:10 AM

i just got off the phone with the man, he said he thinks the cover had a hole in it, thats why the man took the cover off, the blue crap was to try and "fix" the leak, but he couldnt so he put the chain on his other toyota and still drives it today

Quick Reply: Should i Buy this????? 88 Sr5