Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Is this a decent setup for the price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a decent setup for the price?

I just got a quote from 4wheelparts and am trying to decide whether or not to move forward with this build...

3" OME Lift Kit

ARB Bumper:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T..._pn=ARB3423020

Winch:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...&t_pn=WAR26502

KC Slimlights:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...&t_pn=K%2fC124

Tires: BFG T/A KM2 (LT285/75R16)

Wheels:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xt...n=PXA7028-6883

Grand total (after tax & installation) is ~$5800. Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 PM

So your poor and just decided to drop $5800 on parts?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb iPhone double post

Last edited by SCToy; 05-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM

May I ask why don't you do the bolt ons yourself and save some money?
Do yourself a favor and check out the bumper thread before buying the ARB, there are a lot of less mainstream fabricators building much more unique and functional bumpers for more or less the same price.

Last edited by SCToy; 05-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 22repower
So your poor and just decided to drop $5800 on parts?
He's an oxy-moron
Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you don't say what truck you are putting these one...
it took me 4 hours in 20*F weather to put my ARB bumper on my old '05 Tacoma.
as far as how functional the ARB is..I would love to put one on my '81. They are some of the best armor out there...

for the $90-100+ per hour labor to have a shop put that stuff on your truck here is my advice DO IT YOURSELF
1) Saves $$$
2) Pride to say you did yourself
3) learn something about the truck

sure you can drop it off and pick up in the afternoon but where is the fun in that
seems like they are charging you about $2500'ish for labor...

and if you are gonna spend that much money for wheels with bolts on the side, might as well have functional beadlocks instead of some wannabe's JMO....
Old 05-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd bet you can have a killer rig above and beyond what your gonna pay for those mods and use the $5800 to buy an already built truck. Save the cash and install yourself. Otherwise your hobby is gonna get real expensive real quick when ya start breaking stuff.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
you don't say what truck you are putting these one...
it took me 4 hours in 20*F weather to put my ARB bumper on my old '05 Tacoma.
as far as how functional the ARB is..I would love to put one on my '81. They are some of the best armor out there...

for the $90-100+ per hour labor to have a shop put that stuff on your truck here is my advice DO IT YOURSELF
1) Saves $$$
2) Pride to say you did yourself
3) learn something about the truck

sure you can drop it off and pick up in the afternoon but where is the fun in that
seems like they are charging you about $2500'ish for labor...

and if you are gonna spend that much money for wheels with bolts on the side, might as well have functional beadlocks instead of some wannabe's JMO....
Hit the nail on the head with this one!

For what its worth, i just ordered an ARB bumper.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM

It's a stock 1997 4runner Limited (automatic). The labor comes out to be ~$1500. The tax in this state is nearly 10%, which doesn't help the price. To clarify, the question is whether or not that quote is a complete rip-off or if it seems reasonable? Also, are the parts quality or stuff I should stay away from?

@22repower & @lofreqjeff - By saving and scrounging for a few months (and applying for a 0% for 12 mo CC), you could do it too believe it or not...

@Those who were actually helpful - Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the bumper thread, but please let me know why ARB isn't a good idea if you have personal experiences. It sounds like a bumper isn't too difficult to do, so maybe I'll do that myself. Why don't I do it all myself? Here are a few thoughts:
1. I don't really have any experience working on cars (not that I couldn't figure it out, it'd just take a ton of time which I don't really have, and time is money).
2. I wanted this done soonish to use it during the summer.
3. I likely don't have most of the tools to actually do the work, so how much would I have to pay just for that?
4. What if I manage to screw something up? I don't want to put myself, passengers, or anyone else on the road in danger. How likely is it that I'll manage to break / lose something during install, which I'd have to replace / repurchase (this is a serious question since I've never done any major mechanical work)?

All that said, am I really doing myself a favor if I put in the work? Anyone live in Seattle, WA that wants to do the lift install for me?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iampoor
I just got a quote from 4wheelparts and am trying to decide whether or not to move forward with this build...

3" OME Lift Kit

ARB Bumper:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Bumpers-T..._pn=ARB3423020

Winch:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...&t_pn=WAR26502

KC Slimlights:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...&t_pn=K%2fC124

Tires: BFG T/A KM2 (LT285/75R16)

Wheels:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xt...n=PXA7028-6883

Grand total (after tax & installation) is ~$5800. Thoughts?
Try supporting the smaller guys, like http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ ; or http://trdparts4u.com/Scripts/default.asp ;

Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

I have not heard good things about 4wheelparts installation, I have never had anything done there so I cannot say for sure, I did interview there and it didn't seem like a real professional shop. I would also say to install yourself, I don't know what you do for a living but just think of how many hours of work you will have to put in to equate to 1 hour of their labor cost and then see if you think it is worth it.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 PM

on that truck the 3" ome lift is as simple as changing out struts. Because that's exactly what it is.

Don't know how hard it is to put that bumper on, but your most likely gonna need two people.

Winch install a few bolts and then wiring. Bolts = simple. If you can change a tire you can put that winch on the bumper prior to install most likely. Wiring may or may not be someone's strong suit.

Same thing with the KC's as the winch.

The tires well, speaking from experience and trying to save myself $50 to mount and balance and mounting them myself, well, pay to have them mounted.

$183.99 per wheel is ALOT IMO to pay for a wheel on a truck your actually gonna wheel with and most likely get quite a bit of rock rash etc etc on. Much cheaper options out there.

And as far as you thinking us tell you to save your cash isn't helping, well think about it, $1500 can go towards an ARB Air locker and having it installed and your truck would be killer.

Or the $1500 can go towards many other armor options to help protect your investment instead of someone else's investment.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Just to clarify, the ARB is a great bumper, but there are also many smaller shops you make equally great bumpers which you are much less likely to see sitting at the stop light next to you. In my opinion the ARB's approach angle isn't very good, that's my only real complaint about it. I only meant that you should check out all your options first. I really wanted and ARB when I first hot my truck and it was too expensive so I looked around and I love my tube bumper from addicted offroad. Just my .02. Also you couldnt possibly need 1500 dollars in tools to do the work and even if you did you'd still own the tools when it's all said and done
Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 PM

I rebuilt my entire engine myself except machine work, changed my leaf springs, took my bed off, built a wooden flat bed, took that off and put another bed on, mounted my own tires (that was kinda dumb though looking back on that one) and I don't have nearly $1500 in tools.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM

Ok sweet, all this is really helpful. Thanks a lot fellas.

James - Did you hear this from a friend and do you remember any details?

I'll plan on attempting the installs myself. Is the OME a good lift kit? If not, what may be better? Do I even need 3" or is 1.5"/2" enough? Now I just need to determine what to buy from 4wheelparts vs. somewhere else (let me know if there are parts sites that you recommend buying from)... I guess I'll look at bumpers from other manufacturers too. Does it matter what brand of tools I buy when buying the tools? I'll get my wheels+tires from discount tire cuz they are cheaper than 4wp.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
here is some pics I took when I did my ARB...
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...per%20install/
used a common socket, wrench set and a floor jack.
having someone to help steady is a plus too...my wife said to do it myself, it was too cold.

I see that truck around town every once in a while--miss it

since you are doing a winch and bumper, you are gonna want sliders and a rear bumper too also consider a bigger/better battery for your winch, a bigger alternator would be cool but this is eating up some of the $$$ you might save if you do the install yourself.

now messing with struts can be a pain. take your time, most big chain autoparts stores like Autozone or O'reillly's will rent spring compressors...just be careful.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM

I like craftsmen for sockets most tools for the warranty, the reviews in sears say to stay away from there torque wrenches though. I don't know if you'll need a torque wrench or not, but they sure are handy and I would get one if you can.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
here is some pics I took when I did my ARB...
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...per%20install/
used a common socket, wrench set and a floor jack.
having someone to help steady is a plus too...my wife said to do it myself, it was too cold.

I see that truck around town every once in a while--miss it

since you are doing a winch and bumper, you are gonna want sliders and a rear bumper too also consider a bigger/better battery for your winch, a bigger alternator would be cool but this is eating up some of the $$$ you might save if you do the install yourself.

now messing with struts can be a pain. take your time, most big chain autoparts stores like Autozone or O'reillly's will rent spring compressors...just be careful.
That's a sexy looking truck & bumper. How long did the install take you? Did you have to do any grinding/trimming/shaving of the body to make it fit?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM

I have a Sears just a few miles away, so this'll work great.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Ditto on Craftsman. They aren't as good of quality as they used to be, but they are still good tools and have a lifetime warranty. The cheapy Pittsburgh brand tools that HF sells have a lifetime warranty also, but I've broken so many of those it doesn't make the warranty worth it.

You'll have a lot of fun installing all of the stuff yourself, and you'll have the tools for the rest of your life! Have fun!