Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving
View Poll Results: What should the punishment be when someone gets caught mis-using land for offroading
Just a ticket comprable to a speeding ticket
47.69%
A big fine
40.00%
A big fine and their truck taken away
6.92%
A big fine and their truck taken away plus a suspended license
5.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Private property/land usage and offroading

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Private property/land usage and offroading

I am writing a paper for my college english class about private property use and how offroading is getting a bad rep by people offroading on private property. basically i am advertising the tread lightly program. if you would participate in this poll it would be much appriciated!

could we get this to be a sticky?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:34 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Very good paper to write on.
It hath been stuck too for awhile.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

thanks corey. i am open to any ideas for this paper, i can use all the help i can get
Old 10-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I voted a big fine, but are we talking about:

1) Off-roading off the trail on public land (big fine)
2) Off-roading on private land without permission (only the lands owner can do something, no fines possible unless through a lawsuit)
3) Off roading on private land with permission, but off the trails (same as 2.)
4) Off roading on self or friend owned private land (its your land, so do whatever you want)
Old 10-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

i was thinking mostly number one and two
Old 10-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cacattack
i was thinking mostly number one and two
Well, on private land only the owner of the land can do anything about abuse... other than have the offenders removed (which could carried out by police). For public land the police (or other authority) could possibly hand out fines for abuse; this is common practice in the Imperial Sand Dunes, the police even have sand-rails!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Private land isn't really something you can enforce tread lightly on. Its the landowners decsion, so if the owner lets you drive all over the landscape, he can do that, nothing wrong with it.

Public land is where the enforcement is at. A big fine is where its at. Speeding ticket violations are enforced around the state, and look at how many people speed. BUT, if you get slapped with a 10 grand fine, you'll be thinking twice about driving off trail again.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
BUT, if you get slapped with a 10 grand fine, you'll be thinking twice about driving off trail again.
Yikes, I was thinkin more like a couple hundred, perhaps 500 max...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

ya, area restoration is expensive. If you make the violators pay for it, there would be less pressure on legislators to shut trails down. No cost to the tax payer=no unhappy constituents=no trail closures.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that off-roading on private land is a situation where anything can be done as long as the owner gives permission. There are such things as zoning laws and other types of restrictions like land that's adjacent to a wetland or other sensitive area.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I don't think that off-roading on private land is a situation where anything can be done as long as the owner gives permission. There are such things as zoning laws and other types of restrictions like land that's adjacent to a wetland or other sensitive area.

exactly. Actually, if it's private property, then that is awesome. I've seen pictures of some pretty sick private offroad parks, that, becasue they are privately owned, you can build whatever obstacles you want.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Contributing Member

I just wish I could afford lots of private land.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Personally, I think a big fine would be sufficient.

I have known people who had thier vehicles taken from them because they were on reservation land (not knowing) and although it wasn't posted as reservation land, their vehicles were impounded. In at least one instance, the vehicle was never returned. Since the tribe is a "sovereign nation", there wasn't much he could do. After all, he was on their land. That's a bummer. I understand the idea of the sovereign nation thing, but not getting your vehicle back?

I think a big fine would discourage trespassing and encourage people to ask before going onto private property.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

I say big fine. A slap on the wrist isn't going to deter many people, but blow a hole in someone's wallet for being stupid will certainly carry more weight the next time they think of doing it again. In SC if you are caught misusing game management land or even poaching then the game wardens have all rights to take weapons, licence, vehicle, trailors, 4wheeler, boats, or anything they want pertaining to the activities you were doing.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cacattack
I am writing a paper for my college english class about private property use and how offroading is getting a bad rep by people offroading on private property. basically i am advertising the tread lightly program. if you would participate in this poll it would be much appriciated!

could we get this to be a sticky?
The real crime is not the mis-use of private property by offroaders, but the little college secular progressives doing everything they can to promote government conversion of private land to public, via eminent domain.

I would be astounded if your college professor was not providing earliy guidance in that direction.

If you want an "A", just write your paper about how the evil property owners are keeping nice city folk from enjoying the countryside. And how you're a good environmentalist, with tires which step lightly over all endangered species, including the snail darter.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

I also vote big fine. I know several landowners that will slap a $2000+ fine for riding off the designated area. Although this is mainly because it is used for hunting too and repairing planted fields can be pretty costly if you pay someone to do it. Ironmike4x4 is exactly right, around here misuse of game management land can put you in a world of hurt with the DNR.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

I voted ticket, but I could also maybe see the big fine for off the trail on public land. On private land, you shouldnt be there without permission, but its hard to enforce anything except through lawsuit on private land.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by mastacox
I voted a big fine, but are we talking about:

1) Off-roading off the trail on public land (big fine)
2) Off-roading on private land without permission (only the lands owner can do something, no fines possible unless through a lawsuit)
3) Off roading on private land with permission, but off the trails (same as 2.)
4) Off roading on self or friend owned private land (its your land, so do whatever you want)
I was going to ask the same thing. I agree on a fine and that is it. Also please define off-road abuse. Wouldn't going off-road be abusing the land itself?

James
Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM

i grew up wheeling in the cascade mountains in washington state. i cant tell you how many times my dad would point out trails that were closed because of idiots going off trail on private land. a lot of land owners are cool with us using their land if we respect it, but as soon as it is trashed, they've got no reason to allow us to continue to abuse it. i can emphathize with them closing land/trails, but it sure is a shame. whatever we can do to give our sport/hobby/recreation/life a good name, i'm all for it. write a killer paper!:bigclap:
Old 02-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by HarrisonP
I also vote big fine. I know several landowners that will slap a $2000+ fine for riding off the designated area. Although this is mainly because it is used for hunting too and repairing planted fields can be pretty costly if you pay someone to do it.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking; that it could be criminal trespass if it is posted & also destruction of property for planted fields.

Quick Reply: Private property/land usage and offroading