Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

Legislation to Expand Multiple Use Access to Public Lands Introduced

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Legislation to Expand Multiple Use Access to Public Lands Introduced

This will only take a minute. Click on the link at the bottom and enter some very basic info if you support this, it couldn't get any easier

22 Members Have Already Cosponsored H.R. 1581 – We Need Your Help to Enlist More!

Before leaving for Easter break, U.S. Representative and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) formally introduced H.R. 1581, the “Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act of 2011.” Earlier this month ARRA asked you to send an email urging your Representative to sign on as an original cosponsor to this legislation prior to introduction. 21 Members of Congress, including National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands Subcommittee Chairman Rob Bishop (R-UT) and Western Caucus Chairman Steve Pearce (R-NM) are currently listed as cosponsors.

Now that the bill has been introduced, it is time to reach out to your Representative again to urge them to sign on!

As you will recall, this very important draft bill would release all Wilderness Study Areas (WSAs) and Inventoried Roadless Areas (IRAs) that have been recommended or evaluated as not suitable for wilderness by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) or the U.S. Forest Service from restrictive management practices and direct that they be managed for multiple use, including recreation.

As is stands, the BLM currently manages nearly 7 million acres of WSAs as de facto wilderness despite the fact the BLM itself has already determined these areas as not suitable for wilderness designation by Congress. The situation with the Forest Service is even worse, as access is restricted to over 36 million acres of IRAs that have been deemed unsuitable for ultimate designation as wilderness. Current law and regulation dictates that these lands must be managed to protect wilderness characteristics. H.R. 1581 would release these areas from restrictive management and require the agencies to ensure increased access.

The Members’ “Dear Colleague” letter with a list of bill supporters can be viewed here.

A summary of the bill provided by Rep. McCarthy’s office can be viewed here.

Please click the Take Action link below to send an email encouraging your Representative to sign on as a cosponsor of H.R. 1581.
click link -> SEND A SIMPLE EMAIL - IT'LL TAKE 1 MINUTE <- click link
Old 04-29-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
hehe got that email too today, I sent mine in.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did it, my email was sent to this guy

GRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAATTTT!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got this reply back today

Thank you for contacting me in support of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) releasing all Wilderness Study Areas (WSA) and Inventoried Roadless Areas (IRA) that have been recommended or evaluated as not suitable for wilderness. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

The Forest Service began protecting areas labeled as wilderness, wild, and primitive areas in 1924. Congress enacted the Wilderness Act forty years later, which created the National Wilderness Preservation System. Wilderness areas are protected from construction of new roads and structures and the use of motorized vehicles.

I appreciate your concern that wilderness designation limits mechanized recreational opportunities on public lands. Like you, I believe that this form of recreation can be a wonderful family activity. I also believe, however, that we must strive to strike a balance between recreational interests and the need to protect endangered species. Our national lands play a critical role in the protection of watersheds and wildlife. Therefore, as we enjoy the economic and recreational benefits of our national lands, we must be responsible when we use them, and we must take steps to conserve them.

The legislation you mentioned, the Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act, has not yet been introduced in the House. Please be assured that should this legislation be introduced and come to the House floor for a vote, I will keep your concerns in mind.

Once again, thank you for writing to me about this important issue. If you would like to receive regular email updates from me, please go to my website at www.house.gov/wu to sign up. If I can be of additional assistance, please call my Oregon office at 503-326-2901 or 800-422-4003.

With warm regards,

David Wu
Member of Congress
Sounds to me like he is not for it