Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

In between a rock and a muddy place...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
...But if we all started flagging the less obvious pics, I think we will see a sharp decrease in all picture postings on this site. I believe that people will be discouraged to post pics of them(or their rigs) 4x4ing for fear of them being deleted, or flagged as illegal. I think that small changes need to be done soon, then we can see how( or if) they work for our cause. Something needs to be done, but not anything drastic.
I definitely see that point as valid, but in how many instances have you seen pics that are even questionable? Honestly, more than 99% of the content is going to be legit and not have a problem. It's the less than 1% that we're talking about anyway, so it wouldn't discourage me to post pics with a description regardless of worrying if it were going to be deleted by the mods. I consider myself a legit poster, so I wouldn't even worry that a valid, nonillicit thread would be deleted.

Also, I agree with Rocko Toco with his points, but at some point, there is either a policy with some concerns, or no policy whatsoever.

I do not agree with Tacoclimber, however - white OUT.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
In, of course.
Originally Posted by 4biker
I actually have to agree with CJ on this one... White IN! (If you have black wheels) Otherwise...Fair game, either way.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have to agree with 4biker.
I do not see the process here in anyway slowing down the posting of trail tip reports.

Most pictures have always been in legit places.
Only a few have been red flagged in the past by members here.

We have and always will here at YotaTech live to drool all over our keyboards when great scenery is posted.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with you there. Depends on the rig, though.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 AM

I'm with you there. Depends on the rig, though.
It's obvious that you have been blessed with great clarity and thoughtfulness in regards to tire lettering, but what are your thoughts on policing the forum for inappropriate and/or marginal photos, including illegal mudding, etc?
I don't mean to flame, but I don't to be responsible for steering this thread into (another) meaningless tire quandary. Peace!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

It's obvious that you have been blessed with great clarity and thoughtfulness in regards to tire lettering, but what are your thoughts on policing the forum for inappropriate and/or marginal photos, including illegal mudding, etc?
I don't mean to flame, but I don't to be responsible for steering this thread into (another) meaningless tire quandary. Peace!
I'm thinking it was a momentary diversion into jocularity.

But you're right. So it seems that it now stands up to the moderators to determine what specific and "official" actions will be taken concerning posts containing illegal activity. However, a portion of the burden of "police work", as it were, will always rest with the membership.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

But you're right. So it seems that it now stands up to the moderators to determine what specific and "official" actions will be taken concerning posts containing illegal activity. However, a portion of the burden of "police work", as it were, will always rest with the membership.
The issue is being discussed among the mods, but we have a strong desire to make the process/rule/regulation reflect the desires of the membership. The staff have strong reasons behind not wanting illegal activities on the forum, but how to go about accomplishing that is open to discussion and input.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

I posted posted my stance already, I thought it was getting off topic, but nonetheless, I wanted to join in the fun(I'm a terrible person, but I can live with that) But, back to business, Illegal wheeling is horrble, and irresponsible. Legal wheeling is fun, and recreational. People with pictures of the legal wheeling should be kept, illegal one's should be flagged. I think before we go around deleting every illegal post(depending on how BAD it is) I think we should give the poster of the pic a chance to remove it himself(or herself). I think 2 hours time is adequate for the poster to come forward and remove the picture themselves, and then every one is happy(except for the poster, maybe, but it could be worse for them) What do you guys think of the Idea(just the idea of sending the posters of marginally illegal, not full blown illegal activities, a notice telling them to delete the post, rather than have it deleted by a member of the staff) So, what do you guys(and gals) think????
Old 08-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

I posted posted my stance already, I thought it was getting off topic, but nonetheless, I wanted to join in the fun(I'm a terrible person, but I can live with that) But, back to business, Illegal wheeling is horrble, and irresponsible. Legal wheeling is fun, and recreational. People with pictures of the legal wheeling should be kept, illegal one's should be flagged. I think before we go around deleting every illegal post(depending on how BAD it is) I think we should give the poster of the pic a chance to remove it himself(or herself). I think 2 hours time is adequate for the poster to come forward and remove the picture themselves, and then every one is happy(except for the poster, maybe, but it could be worse for them) What do you guys think of the Idea(just the idea of sending the posters of marginally illegal, not full blown illegal activities, a notice telling them to delete the post, rather than have it deleted by a member of the staff) So, what do you guys(and gals) think????
I think the idea has merit, but any arbitrary time frame to remove a questionable picture will have some potential argument against it. 2 hours is pretty reasonable. Then again, you will have those who post something and then don't log in again for another day, and then find their pic deleted. Of course, if things are made clear for all the membership, then there really is no reason to get wadded up over it.

Of course, this is in fact all theoretical at this point.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

I think the idea has merit, but any arbitrary time frame to remove a questionable picture will have some potential argument against it. 2 hours is pretty reasonable. Then again, you will have those who post something and then don't log in again for another day, and then find their pic deleted. Of course, if things are made clear for all the membership, then there really is no reason to get wadded up over it.

Of course, this is in fact all theoretical at this point.
We're going to have to compromise if we want to get anything accomplished... If the staff sends them a message telling them to delete their pic immediately, and gives them a time limit to do so, or it will be deleted by the staff, then if they fail to do so, they have no one to blame but themselves. It's not a perfect idea, but it's a good one to start with.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

We're going to have to compromise if we want to get anything accomplished... If the staff sends them a message telling them to delete their pic immediately, and gives them a time limit to do so, or it will be deleted by the staff, then if they fail to do so, they have no one to blame but themselves. It's not a perfect idea, but it's a good one to start with.
No, I think we're on the same page... I just try to examine all the loopholes someone might try to come up with.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:27 PM

I definitely see that point as valid, but in how many instances have you seen pics that are even questionable? Honestly, more than 99% of the content is going to be legit and not have a problem. It's the less than 1% that we're talking about anyway, so it wouldn't discourage me to post pics with a description regardless of worrying if it were going to be deleted by the mods. I consider myself a legit poster, so I wouldn't even worry that a valid, nonillicit thread would be deleted.
well, here's your chance for policy... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/b...k-pics-122647/

oh, and the answer is definitely: white IN....always.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by idayota
well, here's your chance for policy... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/b...k-pics-122647/
glad i'm not the only one who noticed/reported...wetlands? i mean seriously....
Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by idayota

oh, and the answer is definitely: white IN....always.
Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
glad i'm not the only one who noticed/reported...wetlands? i mean seriously....
Hey I reported this to ROb too.
Let see that policy at work. Cause I promis wheelin in marsh.wetlands is not what we want the sierra club gettin from us!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

So... that best stuck thread is a mess...

I see several examples there that cause me to question the legality of what is going on.

So, what is to be done? Shall I butcher the thread, delete the thread or ask folks to report individual posts? I could argue the merits of any of those, along with a few downsides to each.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Oe Veh! Well Rob as I pointed out I explained my pictures (on 1st page) but taken out of context they can look horrible - So we really have to be careful when pruning stuff like this - esp if the poster explained why thew picture looks the way it does!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 PM

bare minimum...explanations are in order...possibly even required.

hey, that brings up an idea...is there any way, with all your technological forum savvy, to require a caption for every picture posted on the forum? dont know if this is a good idea or not, but if a caption is required, a little dialog box next to it could remind people to only post legal pictures...it works on myspace...er...sort of.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 PM

probably not possible with using the html insert [img] command, huh...didn't think through that one all the way.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

OOOh But good idear "idayota"!!! If a suspicious pic is not captioned it is fair game to be um... "moderated" neh?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just read all 4 pages of this and you guys have a good discussion going on here. Honestly, I think what you have decided is a good policy, to report suspicious threads or simply ask for a background story. However if this policy is put into place, we all need to remember the fact that 99% of the trip reports posted are in legal places and not be "witch hunting" for illegal pictures. Sometimes things can appear a certain way simply because you want it to.

Quick Reply: In between a rock and a muddy place...