FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Windshield recourse

Old 04-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield recourse

Just in case this hasn't been brought up here, this thread over in FJCruiser Forums is getting some hype started about getting us better windshields or something. I am not fully supporting the defective windshield bit, but I am supporting the complaint about the cost of replacing it and such. Please read this thread and send in complaints and emails to help us all out. Thanks.

Click here fo' da linkage
Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I read it the other day.

I have a thread in this section, it cost $1.6K to replace mine.

I only had to pay $50 though, my insurance company has a very good glass replacement policy.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Banned

mine cost me $500 and I just got another pit last night. The next replacement may be within a year of my purchase... this is a problem being this expensive!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah, Toyota glass is not going to be the solution.
PPF or whatever that other brand of glass is has one out now for the FJ.

I do not know if it is any better though.
I hear some are talking of a class action lawsuit, good luck on that.

Some have luck getting a chip repaired right away, but I watched mine driving into work one morning go from a 3" crack to clear across in a matter of seconds.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Banned

Yeah... class action will get me a $20 check or some BS.

I was at OTC yesterday and saw some blast proof material they were selling. They had a pickup outfitted with this stuff and also had a multiple layered windshield that was freaking insane. I don't know how much it costs, and I forget the company off the top of my head, but it seemed to still suffer from rock pits and the like. It would only keep an RPG from blasting through, but still ruin your vision.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

Hey Corey... you wanna sticky this issue to get anyone an everyone to call toyota now! Here is the number: 800-331-4331

I spoke with a representative and he said to please have everyone who has this problem call them and file a report as they are trying to look into this issue and did not realize this many people were effected by it. They will give you a file #. Keep this number and keep updating your file with a quick phone call as soon as anything more happens to your window. I am on my second one already and it got it's first pit mark the other night.

It seems we have the ball rolling and they are looking into it now, so the more complaints the more likely these guys will pull through for us. It was maybe a 5 minute call.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ted, the thread has been stickied.
I also see a page is now setup by a firm for a class action lawsuit.

http://www.fazmiclaw.com/FJCruiser.html
Old 05-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Corey
Ted, the thread has been stickied.
I also see a page is now setup by a firm for a class action lawsuit.

http://www.fazmiclaw.com/FJCruiser.html
☺☺☺☺... (sorry for cussing but this warranted it) I was hoping to get some recourse out of this insteda of getting some lawyers rich as all get out....
Old 06-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

There is a video up now from a news channel.
The guy use to be on my local station KIRO TV in Seattle, but moved.

http://news.wjla.com/news/stories/0607/431141.html
Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 PM

I like how Toyota blames the more vertical design. Didn't the FJ25 through the FJ45 have almost completely vertical windshields? Jeep CJ's? Zooki's? Defenders? Never heard bout this problem in any of those....
Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 PM

2nd day with my new FJ and I already have a crack, it's only .5" right now, have a feeling it'll grow. Has anyone come across a better windshield manufacturer? Any tips, greatly appreciated!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I know prices have come down some since mine cracked last year.
Total bill on mine for the glass, plastic piece on top, sealer, labor was $1.6K, but with my insurance company I only pay $50 total for a replacement.

I would say Toyota glass is the best, although another outfit that starts with a P has glass out for them now.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

I install auto glass and have for a little over 10 years. I have done every FJ Cruiser that has come into our shop and have become very in tune with what is what on them.

The glass itself is not really the problem. Most auto glass has over the years gotten thinner due to weight savings but the quality from research has made it better too. The vertical slope is the problem when compared to old FJ,s or Jeep wranglers or the like. Why? Simply put they may not look it but they are a lot more areodynamic. This means the vehicle is not pushing a big wash of air that would potentially slow done any object from hitting them. Also is you measure out the total surface area it is bigger which creates a larger target. When our shop first starting doing them they were in the 1600 dollar range but now are in the 750. range. With such a new radical design any new vehicle will be pricer.

The over all design imo does leave a lot to be desired as it takes a moulding for the bottom, two seperate ones for the sides, and the metal one for the top. The one on top is held on with clips and some dabs of uerathane(glue). That glue makes it very difficult to remove them with out damage. Right now I am at about 50-60 percent success in doing so. This part runs almost 300 bucks.

I could go on.......but....Toyota dropped the ball on the design imo not because of the glass itself but every thing else. Just removing the cowl on one while being ultra careful not to damage paint or the like is a real PIA. I can do an a Tacoma in 30 minutes or so start to finish, then it just sits waiting for a safe drive away time. A FJC will take me up to 3 hours if the cowel fights me.

So labor and parts make this an expensive replacement.....the glass will only get cheaper(cost not quality). Also note the first 10 or so I did the glass was a dealer item only which commands a premium. PPG now offers the glass at a considerable saving although still pricey. As time goes on it will get cheaper but wont save you the time you lose in having them replaced.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

i recently sent in a complaint to toyota

here is the email i recevied back from them.

Dear Mr. Bledsoe:
We apologize for your concern with the windshield in your 2007 FJ Cruiser.

Unfortunately, rock and stone impacts do occur to all vehicles during their service life regardless of the make or brand. The existing road conditions, vehicle speed, temperature and the type of vehicle being followed are all varying factors that play a role in determining the probability that a vehicle is struck by a rock or road debris. Some rocks or stones that hit a windshield at a high rate of speed will most certainly cause unavoidable damage to any vehicle’s windshield. Toyota vehicles, including the FJ Cruiser, are equipped with windshields using laminated glass that meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).

We do not have a Special Service Campaign (SSC) for the windshield in the FJ Cruiser. However, if Toyota does initiate an SSC for the windshield, customers will be notified by U.S. first-class mail. Customers, who incur repair/replacements costs, will be able to submit repair orders for review of reimbursement.

We appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and letting us know of your dissatisfaction with the windshield in the FJ Cruiser. It is through this type of communication that Toyota becomes aware of customer expectation and reaction.

We have documented your email at our National Headquarters under file #200806120461. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Kym Wilson
Toyota Customer Experience

doesnt sound so well unless enough people complain.

so get to it.

airrikk17
Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 PM
JRL

I have had my fj for about 20 months and 28K miles. I spend my winters driving 50+ days to and from skiing the Tahoe and Mammoth area. After my first ski season my windshield was completly pitted and paid for 3ea minor chip repairs. Just this past April I encountered a crack about 8" on the bottom passenger side. I was about 300 miles from home and chose to have it repaired ($89). Two months later the repair failed and the crack grew another 6". I wish I could have made it one more winter with my totally cracked and pitted crappy windshield. With a $500 deductible I decided to call about a dozen Auto Glass companies. I was blown away at the quotes, anywhere from $250 to $1K. I went cheap and had it replaced for $277 out the door and my pocket. It is a "PPG" window and looks fine. However I know they did not replace the top or any molding. It also looks fine so far. Should I worry about this ???

P.S. I know they had difficulty cause it took about 4hrs. Ya think the next guy with an fj will get out that cheap???
Old 03-06-2009, 01:59 PM

had my FJ for only 2000mi and had a small rock from a passing car cause a nice star chip.... I know its gonna crack, just a matter of time.
For the past 14yrs my 2nd vehicle has been a Ford E-150... talk about a LARGE windshield yet in all those years i've only had to replace one 3x due to a crack....

I know that ins co. keeps track of your claims so even tho its a windshield its counted against you!!! Besides I dont feel like paying out $100 deductible several times a year...

edit: I just looked at the windshield tonight... have at least 4 chips already..... That stinks!

Last edited by ohiobenz; 03-06-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Banned

I am starting to think it was the factory install of the windshield. The second one I got has quite a few starbursts and no cracks this time.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 PM

A friend of mine has an auto glass shop, and advises that he would be happy to replace FJ windshields all day long for $350 each.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Yeah... Prices have finally come down, but man was that hell in the begining!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:01 PM

I owned an 1976 FJ40 from '76 to '90. I had to replace the flat windshield 5 times due to stone chips and cracks.

I now have a 07' FJC now and replaced the windshield once.

Same thing happens to Jeep CJ's.

So what, its just part of owning a truck with a flat windshield.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield recourse