93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

T100 ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T100 ABS Light

Hello,
I have 1997 T100 with a ABS Light on. I had a dealer look into this and no luck. They orginally diagnosed as the ECM (?), but that did not fix it, the dealers computer can not get any codes. So they were looking for broken or corroded wires, they had 3 hours into it and decided to stop them for now, as funds were getting low. I was hoping if anyone has futher insight into this.
I am the orginal owner and the truck has @ 128,600 miles.
Thank you.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:52 PM

Is your truck 4wd or 2wd?Is the abs light on when you start the truck, or after it has been in motion?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:28 AM

Its 4wd, it is on when i start the truck and it stays on. Also the ABS system is not working at all. The front wheels will and have locked up.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:04 PM

Have you ever had the rear end replaced or any major work done to it such as re-gearing? this could cause abs problems. also, I cant remember, is it 4 wheel abs or rear wheel only? also, any major brake work been done such as new rotors, hub, or bearings?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brick
Hello,
I have 1997 T100 with a ABS Light on. I had a dealer look into this and no luck. They orginally diagnosed as the ECM (?), but that did not fix it, the dealers computer can not get any codes. So they were looking for broken or corroded wires, they had 3 hours into it and decided to stop them for now, as funds were getting low.
Wow man, you got TAKEN for 3 hours of labor/diag charge.

The ECU doesn't show ABS codes. The OBDII interface doesn't show ABS codes. The ABS computer is where you pull ABS codes from, and it only comes from:
  • Turn the ignition ON (don't start the engine)
  • Pop the hood
  • Find the "DIAGNOSTICS" connector that's on the drivers side of the engine, on the high edge of the intake plenum.
  • Pop the top, and you'll see something like:
    Code:
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |E1 |
    +---+---+---+
    |           |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |Tc |   |
    +---+---+---+
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    +---+
    |sp |
    +---+
    (front of truck)
  • In the lower left, you'll find a small plug that pulls out. That's a "shorting pin", pull it.
  • Now use a piece of wire to jumper from E1 to Tc
  • Look back at the dash, the ABS light should be blinking.
  • The blinking is in a pattern. For example, if you see BLINK-BLINK {pause} BLINK-BLINK-BLINK {long pause} {repeat} that would be code "23"
  • Once you get the code, pull the jumper wire from E1/Tc, put back the shorting pin, and confirm that you can start the truck.
Find the code, post it back here and we'll take it from there.

And yeah... When the ABS computer detects a problem it will disable ABS. That's a safety thing. No ABS is better than a broken ABS that you can't predict how it will react.

Last edited by midiwall; 12-24-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:35 AM

Well, to make a long story short, the ABS light is on because of a fuse that i found under the drivers side dash. So I am writing a letter to the dealership about the 3 hours of nothing. I did try that dignostic tip from Midiwall and no luck. But I would like to say thank you for that info . The cruise light and air bag light would only flicker back and forth, the ABS light did not blink. The reason why I think it did not work right is because of the fuse, if the fuse was good, I should have been able to get the code for the ABS. Other than that, no major repairs on the brake system. The T is back to normal and happy again. Thank you.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:46 PM

congrats on the repair. glad to see it was something simple. :bigclap:
Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM

New member with an ABS question.

My 1998 T100 has the ABS light on and I followed Midiwall's instructions and got a code of 3449. I assume that the 34 is the only thing that means anything. From what I can tell this would a Problem in left rear wheel speed sensor circuit? Is there anything further I can do, or is it time to take it to the shop and turn it over to them?

I also read about a special wheel speed sensor diagnostic procedure. Should I try this also?

One final question. When I restarted the truck the ABS light was off. Is this because I retreived the code?

Thanks,
MT100
Old 09-07-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome! (wow, old thread!)

If you're comfy with pulling the rear wheel (and the brake drum) pull it apart and you should be able to see the speed sensor. Give it a good wipe down, it'll have grease and stuff on it.

As for the light going off, nope... it should stay on. Given though that it went out, then that tends to say that this is an intermittent problem, like a greasy sensor, or worn sensor, or chaffed wire...

You'll have to get pretty greasy to explore any more.

This can also be a good time to invest in a real factory service manual. They come through ebay pretty often...

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the information! The problem did start after an hour of driving on a wet dirt road.

I'll give it a look this weekend and see if I can't get it cleaned up and working again.

MT100
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 AM
BB

Hi Brick,

I have the same problem. I found the fuses but no fuse labeled ABS. Can you identify which fuse was involved please.

Originally Posted by brick
Well, to make a long story short, the ABS light is on because of a fuse that i found under the drivers side dash. So I am writing a letter to the dealership about the 3 hours of nothing. I did try that dignostic tip from Midiwall and no luck. But I would like to say thank you for that info . The cruise light and air bag light would only flicker back and forth, the ABS light did not blink. The reason why I think it did not work right is because of the fuse, if the fuse was good, I should have been able to get the code for the ABS. Other than that, no major repairs on the brake system. The T is back to normal and happy again. Thank you.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Hi BB,

Were you able to determine which fuse was causing the problem? My T100's ABS light just came on as well. Any help on this from anyone would be appreciated!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by 1995T100
Hi BB,

Were you able to determine which fuse was causing the problem? My T100's ABS light just came on as well. Any help on this from anyone would be appreciated!
Pull the codes fer the ABS first.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall

The ECU doesn't show ABS codes. The OBDII interface doesn't show ABS codes. The ABS computer is where you pull ABS codes from, and it only comes from:
  • Pop the hood
  • Find the "DIAGNOSTICS" connector that's on the drivers side of the engine, on the high edge of the intake plenum.
    Code:
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |E1 |
    +---+---+---+
    |           |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |Tc |   |
    +---+---+---+
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    +---+
    |sp |
    +---+
    (front of truck)
  • In the lower left, you'll find a small plug that pulls out. That's a "shorting pin", pull it.
  • The blinking is in a pattern. For example, if you see BLINK-BLINK {pause} BLINK-BLINK-BLINK {long pause} {repeat} that would be code "23"
  • Once you get the code, pull the jumper wire from E1/Tc, put back the shorting pin, and confirm that you can start the truck.

And yeah... When the ABS computer detects a problem it will disable ABS. That's a safety thing. No ABS is better than a broken ABS that you can't predict how it will react.
Following your instructions on my 1996 t100 with the abs light on, i got error code 36. What is error code 36? Thank you for your time and expertise.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 AM

'96 Toyota 4Runner ABS light

• Pop the hood
    Code:
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |E1 |
    +---+---+---+
    |           |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    |   |Tc |   |
    +---+---+---+
    +---+---+---+
    |   |   |   |
    +---+---+---+
    +---+
    |sp |
    +---+
    (front of truck)

I did the self Diagnostics for my ABS light and it just blinks continuously nonstop. How would I know exactly what's wrong? There's no pause between the blinking.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Smile

• Pop the hood
    Code:
    +---+---+---+

+---+---+---+

+---+---+---+
    E1
    +---+---+---+

+---+---+---+

+---+---+---+
    Tc
    +---+---+---+
    +---+---+---+

+---+---+---+
    +---+
    sp
    +---+
    (front of truck)

Hi, all,

I did exactly this procedure multiple times, but as soon as I pull that pin out ABS light goes off - so no blinking and no code.
Otherwise, ABS light is always on. The car is 1996 Ipsum.
Thanks for your help.