93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Replacing A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing A/C Compressor

I recently purchased a 1998 T100. Its in decent shape, but the A/C isn't working. There was no belt on the compressor when I bought it, so I figured it was shot. Sure enough, the compressor pulley won't turn at all, so I'm looking at replacing it.
I've never done it before, but the couple hundred it will cost me to pull it and replace it with a "working" junk-yard one sure seems a lot better than the $1500 or more it will cost me at a shop.
The concept doesn't seem too hard:
1. Find a "working" one from junkyard, with clutch and pulley attached.
2. Unbolt my old one
3. Bolt up the new one
4. Recharge the system

Has anyone done this before? Any advice? I assume that it would be a good idea to add some oil to the "new" one I'll be putting in.
I also figure it wouldn't hurt to vacuum out the lines. I don't have any specialized equipment, so the best I can do there is to hook up a shop vac and do the best I can.
I understand that this is a bit of a gamble, and that there is a lot that could go wrong. But the price to get it done in the shop is well beyond my budget at the moment, and this would be my only realistic option.
If this is almost certain to end in failure, I won't even attempt it.
If, however, it is likely to get me back up and running with some kind of A/C, then I'll consider tackling it when I have a free day.

Lastly, does anyone know for sure if the A/C compressor off a Tacoma or other Toyota with a 5VZE will fit the T100 5VZE?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
A junk yard one is a gamble but, you may get lucky. A reman shouldn't be $1500.

When compressors fail they usually put trash in the system and it needs to be opened up and flushed. You also need to change the dryer. Possibly the expansion valve. Both not too expensive.

You should get some cheap gauges at least. Harbor Freight has them. You also have to use a real vacuum pump. Harbor Freight has an air operated one for about $20 that works ok. Not as good as an electric one but better than nothing. Shop vac isn't going to cut it.

You should also get a cheap A/C O-ring kit for a few bucks from any auto parts store so you can replace them when the system is opened. You also have to add the correct amount of oil to the system before or during charging with R134A. Usually PAG oil but Ester if system converted from R12.

If you are mechanically inclined at all you can do this. Google and you tube are very helpful.

OR..........stick a cheap junkyard compressor on and see how it goes. I am NEVER that lucky but, some guys are.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
When I added ac to my 91 I went through 5 compressors at the yard, yes 5, all of them the clutch was gone and sounded like metal on metal. Problem I had was a clutch kit was no longer available from the dealer. I ended up getting a reman and it lasted a year before it started making noise and spewing oil out of the front of it. It was still under warranty and the one I have now seems ok but still doesn't sound as quiet as it should.

So first thing you should think about if you do get a bad compressor from the yard and your having someone else do it if it is bad you will have to pay labor to get it swapped and recharged, I know

Remans suck BUT unless your wanting to take the chance on the yard or get a new one from the dealer that will cost an arm and a leg it's about your only option and the good news is most have a year warranty.

But this was on a 91 so being that you have a 98 the stuff at the yard might still be cool
Good luck

Last edited by Discombobulated; 06-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the tips.
As for the $1500, I was talking about the cost if I just took it to a shop and had them do everything.
It seems like the compressor on the T100 is different from the Tacoma and 4Runner for some reason, which means my options for finding a good one at the junkyard are slim.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Typically i would not recommend someone do a/c work on their own. Without the correct equipment its a pain the A$$ and your not going to be satisfied with the results. If you have access to a gauge set and vac pump go for it. Dont waste your time or money with a salvage yard compressor., reman all day everyday. Highly recomend replace receiver/dryer and get a a/c flush can and full o-ring set. Focus most of your flush on the condensor and evaporator, then do each segment of line seperatly. do a long vacuum on the system after everything is back together. Then charge it up. Check your pressures and make sure its cycling correctly.

If you do it yourself follow the directions that come with the compressor for how much to remove/add to the new compressor. If it doesnt come with any directions check on youtube
Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM

what was the outcome on your compressor fix?
Thx