General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for Uncovered Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hope they dont have this law in florida. that is the stupidest thing though.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
talk about a dumb law. i guess its so eliminate the sudden temptation to flip them on on the highway and cause trouble. takes more effort to get out and uncover them
Old 02-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Yea thats exactly why I think its enforced, but seriously, If I were to flash them on oncoming traffic, there is a 50-50 chance they will come slamming into me head on risking not only both our lives but the life on my 4runner, so it would be in my best interest not to turn them on. I wish cops would believe that we have common sense sometimes.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

If they are mounted above 42" from the ground they must be kept covered. You can have 2 driving lights mounted on the bumper or fog lights uncovered.

Any lights mounted on the roof must be kept covered, working or not....

Driving light must be wired so they only come on with the high beam switch, otherwise must be covered. Fog lights must be wired so they only come on with the low beam switch, if you have both.....

The law was made because of all the Idiots that drove around on the streets with all them lights on blinding oncomming drivers.....
Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously would take pictures of jeep liberty's being sold and driven in your area and take them to the judge and tell him that the law has to be applied fairly. if he refuses it will automatically get turned over on appeal.

most likely he will dismiss your case in a bid, Not to set a precident that could be used to overturn the light lidding law

Last edited by thefallman; 02-19-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thefallman
I seriously would take pictures of jeep liberty's being sold and driven in your area and take them to the judge and tell him that the law has to be applied fairly. if he refuses it will automatically get turned over on appeal.

most likely he will dismiss your case in a bid, Not to set a precident that could be used to overturn the light lidding law
I will be doing that the next time I see a Liberty go by, just to have as proof.

If jeeps are aloud to why can't we?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told in CA if they come the factory they are legal. HID's are illegal in CA but BMW's and high end cars have them. They are legal since they are being sold from the manufacture like that. That is what I was told by a police officer.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Talk about complete BS. I'd be ashamed to live in Kalifornistan.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:14 PM

Cops can "" off. they need to get a life, its like the front window tint law, its just rediculous. I notice a lot of people saying stuff about light being too high or somthing? is there some stupid law against having covered light on a light bar in the bed?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:17 PM

Since any state is "Broke" nowadays, they can use any excuse to write a ticket.

Bastages
Old 02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, I'm not really a fan of the popo at this point.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I am not to found of the police either, especially when I was in my accident and they didn't believe a single word I said.

(After I hit the pole and came to a stop I called my mother first to tell her what happen while someone else called the police for me, they accused me of talking on my cell phone while the accident happen, I wanted to turn to the cop and go "YOU DUMP F*&^ I CALLED MY MOTHER CAUSE SHE IS SOMEONE I CAN SEEK COMFORT IN AND KNOW!!!!" Sorry for the random rant, but i would think, if your child was in an accident they would probably call there parent or guardian first, especially if it was an accident that TOTALED THE CAR!!)

I will be putting 4 lights on the front roof rack rail (till I get a basket roof rack)
They will not be covered, I don't do a lot of late night off-roading, cause there really isn't a place around here to do it, but I do a lot of late night driving (2-3am) and with deer around here a little extra light would be nice, (usually there is NO ONE on the road at 2-3am), the two lights on the outside will be pointed slightly outwards to get a wider plain of light and then the two in the middle will be dead center for just a farther view.

The nice thing about lights for PA is that they don't need to be wired any specific way with the head lights, they just have to be 'covered'...

I will have covers for them, but they will most likely be off the entire time...

I don't see why they need to be covered when they will be off during normal driving at normal times...
Old 02-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

yeah,
<rant on> i was pulled over today for "driving suspiciously" ok yeah, speedo was at 20 for a mile in front of cop, just to make sure he doesn't have a reason to get me for speeding (cops in this small town are very tight about this, to everyone, speed traps through main/only road through town every other day)... speedo is not calibrated anyway... (ok so its 1.5 miles off at 20), the limit was 25... when the lights came on, i shifted into low, and rolled to a stop, no brakes....

cop: "any idea why I pulled you over"
me: "nope, are my tires underinflated"
cop: "uh" pause "i dont know, do your brakes work"
me: "yes sir, they work perfectly, i wasnt speeding was I?"
cop: "no, you werent, do you know how fast you were going though?"
me: "off the top of my head no, but roughly 107.5% of what my speedo said, which was about 20mph... so that puts my under 25, is there a problem here?"
cop: "no, drive safe" (walks away)

honestly, I know this could be taken either way, bad for me wasting his time or antagonizing him (surely I will get a ticket for 1 mph next time he sees me), but also, 2-3 mph slow... was there really any reason to get pulled over, no

<end-rant >

but anyway .... good luck with the lights thing, I think your best bet would be to get local pics of others, jeeps or whatever...
Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cops are there to up hold the laws, as stupid as they may seem. (I've got my fair share of BS tickets so I know how you feel).

The fact is more states or provinces have a limit on how many lights you can have on your vehicle or how many can be running.
In Ontario, it's 4. So low or high beams and fogs. If you have 6 lights 4 must be covered and turned off.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rant on: The cops are there not to enforce laws, they were created to be peace officers (at least in the US anyways). See for the last 15 or so years they have become almost like a paramilitary organization in some areas and now go by the label LEO or law enforcement officers. Most of them arent very nice and incredibly rude in my expierance for my area. Almost all of them are younger or rookies..They also try and get you for any little thing just b/c they are in a position of authority over you.

In one such case the cop was a real jerk to me when I ran a red light b/c it changed very quickly and I was already going to fast to stop. He pulls me over after checking my plates and treats me like a scumbag, (this is a little suburban town!), he tells me I was going 70mph..impossible b/c I knew for a fact it would have taken alot for my old F250 to do that! He then treats me like dirt, accuses me of drinking.smoking, leans into my car and thats where I drew the line and told him either leave me be or write me the ticket.. They cant go inside your car without probable cause-something in plain site like an open bottle or crack pipe! Sorry, but to this day it annoys me!

I have nothing against the police at all other than they do not have to be rude, nasty or enforce ridiculous laws. They of course have to fill out a mountain pile of paperwork for every ticket ya know..

Why do I say this, because I am studying to become a Peace Officer and hope to make some small difference in the way things go down.

Could the police officer have let you go, sure you didnt know it was illegal but they still wanted to generate that cash out of you. Me, when I install my lights I intend to wire them independent of everything, then they cant get you on it b/c only fog lights wire to your lights themselves need to be covered..
Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota Tony
Cops are there to up hold the laws, as stupid as they may seem. (I've got my fair share of BS tickets so I know how you feel).

The fact is more states or provinces have a limit on how many lights you can have on your vehicle or how many can be running.
In Ontario, it's 4. So low or high beams and fogs. If you have 6 lights 4 must be covered and turned off.
Actually I believe the law is four lights ON at any time the others must be off. I don't know that they actually have to be covered.
On my old truck I had a set of driving lights wired with the parking lights so i could run them anytime, I had them aimed just like a set of headlights.
My normal lights were 80/100s and I only got hassled by a cop once at a RIDE (DUI pervention) spot check and that was for not having my normal headlights on I told the officer that the low beams were had burnt out the night before and he said "OK just get those lights fixed soon and have a good night." [this was just before I got the 80/100s]
Anyway for our vehicles the high/lows are counted as 2 because only one mode is available at a time therefore if you had six only one set would have to be covered.
Unless you have one of those crazy multi light setups I don't think a cop would hassle you too much provided the lights were all aimed properly.
edit: and if they did fight it chances of the cop turning up for something this mickey mouse are pretty poor and if he does talk to the crown/ADA and try for a deal.

Last edited by aviator; 02-20-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91_4x4runner
Talk about complete BS. I'd be ashamed to live in Kalifornistan.
True, but no humidity and the chance to surf and snowboard in the same day.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 PM

IMO highway patrol is different than city police. I was pulled over between Flagstaff and Kingman for illegal window tint. This was on a past vehicle and the guy pulled up next to me on the highway and then slowed down, got behind me, and pulled me over. I ended up getting a fix or repair order. I never "fixed" the tint and have now sold the truck. The highway patrol guy basically told me he did not see too much action on the road so he "really took notice" when my truck drove by, "It stuck out". My dad and brother are cops so I may be biased separating them from highway patrol, but I have driven by plenty of cops in town and never been pulled over for a tint violation.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Another thread that makes me very pleased that I live in the Yukon.
Getting pulled over is a rare occurrence.

Unless you are driving drunk, not wearing a seatbelt, speeding more than 40km/h in a school zone, or driving at least 15/km/h over the speed limit in any other area, you are good to go.

None of this "I pulled you over for fun" stuff.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Those light bars mounted to the roofs of Libertys do come with covers. There's a guy in my neighborhood with one equipped with lights and he has the cover (I believe its a one piece cover). Those Liberty oweners without the covers are probably too lazy to put it on.

I found this review of the Liberty online:
"We had a lot of other goodies on our tester, some of which I?d delete if I could. We had a roof-mounted light bar that was part of the Customer Preferred Package that gave off a lot of light but blinded oncoming drivers."

I guess the dealer never told them those were offroad lights.

Quick Reply: Ticket for Uncovered Lights?