General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock lights / driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock lights / driving lights

what do you think of these>? Pilot Baja rock lights w/ covers $25 from AutoZone.
http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP6786...ductDetail.htm
opinions appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by grovedogg; 06-11-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Actully a couple of my buddies who have jeeps have them.

One has like four up front and he says they are okay.

The other has like 6 pointing forward and he says its like daylight infront of him. But i guess that would happen with enough lights of any brand.

I haven't had the experience of seeing them in person at night but that is what they said.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:23 AM

i figured they would be ok, maybe not great, but for the price....
are there some cool spots over in Chico? I go that way quite often, just never go wheelin...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 AM

Well for about 2x you can get some hellas like the ones i have, they are basically another set of high beams.

There are the highlakes that i am starting to explore now that its summer time. Overall i think its fun.

There is also some place called ramsey bar i wouldn't mind checking out one day.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 AM

yeah, i've heard of Ramsey Bar, never been tho.
you should check out the link for 4x4trailhunters, there's a bunch of trail reports/descriptions, plus local wheelers !
Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 AM

They have the same Baja lights lights at wal mart for 19.99....I had them on the front of my old 4runner and I loved them. Then i just got around to getting some for my 95 and Im putting them up on the roof rack, trying to go with a "I am Legend" look.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 AM

Yea thats where i saw the link to ramsey bar.

Didn't know local wheelers were on there.

Last time i went with a buddy of mine with a 87 pickup and he says he goes all the time so i will be wheeling with him, more are always better though. but up until this none of my friends ever want to go because they are all jobless and cant afford gas
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM

I'd be down to go sometime...
There are several rigs going up to Philbrook this weekend...
there's a bunch of people from Redding, Chico, Red Bluff on that site, smaller scale than YT of course, but the locals are cool
i just went and got those lights so, pics'll come soon, just gotta figure where im puttin em.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 AM

Sick i wouldn't mind going. I actually might/really hope i can go this friday.

This of course depends on me actually getting my 3rd member back. I would go all weekend, but i have to help a friend move saturday morning. maybe a little camping. Oh yea also, a bunch of people are going to go camping and wheeling all weekend towards the end of the month.

Well maybe i will go friday, then saturday and sunday! haha i can't get enough of up there i love exploring around and taking pictures up there.

Anywho, i went like a little over a week ago and there was still enough snow for me to get stuck in with my low tread on my bfg at's. Hopefully my new locker in the rear will help, haha.

Maybe ill see you up there this weekend!

Just look for the runner in my sig, honk if you see me!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 AM

That was you with the "locker" thread i was reading..
yeah, maybe i can get down that way with my uuber-stock runner... hah

i usually wheel up at Shasta-Chappie OHV here in Redding, pretty cool trails, and like you said... great scenery!

Last edited by grovedogg; 06-11-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Mine is stock until i get that differential back.

Its still a great time up there. My buddy has his pickup with the same tires but newer and it went though the snow fine, a little past me, but i made it up some hills he couldn't!

Im not telling any of my friends about the locker though. I see how long it takes for them to figure out both rears are spinning instead of just one. If they ask how i made it up something ill just say "its a toyota what do you expect!"
Old 06-11-2008, 09:37 AM

yah ive been suprised by the capability of my stock truck, should be gettin some 3" springs as soon as the FED's give me some $$
Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My buddy had them on a K10 pickup and they worked good for the 20 he spent at walmart and after we swapped in 100w bulbs. Sure my KC's are made of metal and nicer but those baja lights worked good for the $$.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:32 AM

I got a pair of those from wallyworld for 19 and hooked them up as back up lights they work great I bought some smaller pilot brand driving lights for the front they where nice and bright for a week until we went mudding and they pulled water in, I drained them out and cleaned out the housing and now they are dimmer the reflective stuff on the back washed out from the water.

the off road ones on the back of my truck have not gotten water in them so the are still nice and bright. for 19 or 20 bucks it is worth it if they are low setting lights you will not be so pissed if you break one off.

I torn off a hella light and it was toast I was not a happy camper I went and bought some cheap replacement fog lights.

I like my hella spot driving lights and will get a pair for the truck but it is not high on my list of things to do or buy.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yea i got some of those at walmart had them for like 2yrs they worked great if anyone needs the glass part of them ill sell them
Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
I got a pair of those from wallyworld for 19 and hooked them up as back up lights they work great I bought some smaller pilot brand driving lights for the front they where nice and bright for a week until we went mudding and they pulled water in, I drained them out and cleaned out the housing and now they are dimmer the reflective stuff on the back washed out from the water.

the off road ones on the back of my truck have not gotten water in them so the are still nice and bright. for 19 or 20 bucks it is worth it if they are low setting lights you will not be so pissed if you break one off.

I torn off a hella light and it was toast I was not a happy camper I went and bought some cheap replacement fog lights.

I like my hella spot driving lights and will get a pair for the truck but it is not high on my list of things to do or buy.
yeah, i've decided to install them as back up lights as well, good product for the price, we'll have to see em installed.
thanks for the opinions guys!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 AM

well, yesterday I started checking out the wiring in the rear of the runner.
Pulled the cover from the driverside, to see where I can splice into power for the rock lights I just purchased... While I was at the part store I decided to pick up a simple 4 prong connector for a trailer, come to find out the PO was on the ball, he had everything professionally done, I found buried under the jack, and tools a Uhaul connection! whoo hoo!

He also had a Python alarm system installed, with auto roll up on the rear window, but he also spent around $900!!!

Just a wonder what you'll find underneath years of use!