General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Surging w/ Wipers, Turn Signals On PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Surging w/ Wipers, Turn Signals On PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a 1980 Toyota Pickup with a 20r in it. A few weeks ago I have noticed a power surge issue and ended up replacing the Ignition Coil, the problem seemed to go away. Then recently I noticed that my surging issue was only happening when I put my turn signals on or my windshield wipers on, so i figured I would replace my alternator, thinking that the internal voltage regulator had gone bad (GM Alternator mod) well just finished driving it and again, having the same issues. This issue does not happen while parked, only after truck is warmed up and is or has been driving down the road. The distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coil, alternator are all brand new. Any help would be greatly appreciated. On another note I think the GM Alternator is hooked up correctly, right now the way it is hooked up is #1 is going to my charge light hookup, #2 is going to Batt post on alternator and have a 8 gauge wire running from Batt post on alternator to + on Battery. All info and help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You are saying that when you put a load on the system from your wipers or turn signals .

Your charging system causes the volt meter to peg to the high side??

How long does it stay there??

Or are you using surge as a rapid low and high movement ??

As when blub flashed and the wipers change direction ??

Do other loads also cause a drop in battery voltage as well but because they are a steady load not so easy to take notice of??
Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I'm driving down the road with and I turn my blinker on (either direction) and/or my wipers my truck starts to surge for power meaning the tach starts to flux from 2-2500 to 1 and yes the surges are constant with the blinking and/or wiper movement, my voltmeter stays at around 12.5 the whole entire time, which doesnt make sense because the volt meter tells me its putting out 14.3 volts. However when first starting up truck volt meter stays at or near 13 volts, so obviously its not reading correctly. So far I have replaced all those components, had my battery tested and now am in the process of looking at all my wires, havent found anything yet.