General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no spark coming out of coil (true newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no spark coming out of coil (true newbie)

I was about to pull into a parking lot when my 1993 toyota pickup 22re just completely turned off on me. I parked it and started to look into it. When I try to turn it on the starter turns, the engine turns, but it just won't start. Smells like gas so i checked to see if it could of been the pump, pulled out a hose turned the key to acc and gas came out, so i went on to the distributor. Theres power going to the coil from the ignitor, but from the coil to the distributor there is nothing, then from the ignitor to the plug on the distributor there is also no power. I already replaced the coil and the problem persists, ignitor? any other suggestions?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You do have a manual for your vehicle?

To tell you how to trouble shoot your problem.

Have you checked the primary and secondary resistance of the first and second coil you installed??

Have you searched at all??

Have you checked for open fuses??
Old 09-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I am actually having the same problem. I am restoring a junk truck so feel my problem isnt the same as yours. I do have some test and info posted if you want to try some of them. It is on page 12 of my 85 truck build link below. It shows how to test the igniter.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
wyoming9...I know the computer controls timing, but does it actually have control of the spark as if it sparks or not? In theory even if the computer was disconnected, wouldnt the ignition system still spark??? I have a picture of the ignition system from my FSM and in the section just before the Igniton system is the Power System.

Here is a link >> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...l#post52121060 if you wouldnt mind maybe giving me some ideas. You may want to start at the top of the page to get a better feel of what I have done to this point.

I have tested each component with a meter and then I installed it on my 86 Runner and it works flawlessly. I have not tested my distributor in my 4Runner but tested the Pickup Coil. The Pickup Coil is to be from 140-180 Ohms and mine tested at 160 Ohms, so I feel that the dizzy is good.

I am starting at the Power System which isnt far up stream from the ignition system. As far as that goes, it will crank, and as far as I can tell most of that system is/should be good. I am not sure where the 30 Fusible Link is so am looking into that as well as starting to suspect the Ignition Switch area. This truck had a few plugs removed and a few cut wires but nothing to major. If it was to much, I would of replaced the harness. I wonder if it has a break in the wires somewhere and will start testing. Fuses are all good with possible exception of 30amp Fusible Link which I am looking into. Gotta find it first. Is it similar to the Fusible Link coming off of the fusebox under the hood?

Building on a budget, so I am currently using the Denso Cap, Wires,and Rotor assembly from my 86 Runner which are all Denso parts and have less then 4000 miles on them. I drive my Runner daily so when I complete working on the truck, I have to reinstall them on the runner so those parts are good as well. I will be getting the Denso parts here in the coming week.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-22-2013 at 04:21 AM.