General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led strip bars to act like dome light???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Led strip bars to act like dome light???

Hey all, I have the LEDGlow 4pc interior lighting kit. I would like to know how to wire them up so they act exactly like the dome light. ie turn on when doors are open, turn off when dome light is switched off and turn on when needed when switched on.

The way this kit is assembled is it has a control box that has the buttons for the different functions (turn on with music) etc and on off. The bottom of the control box has 4 wires coming out the bottom each one leading to an led strip bar, 4 total. The top of the control box has a red and black wire coming out of it. The kit also comes with a fuse tap with 4amp fuse.

The way it is set up now is I used an extra 'window lock' switch as the main on/off pushbutton. (Painted the button black, looks stock and is inserted in the empty slot on the radio bezel. But the way its set up now is kinda pointless that's why I would like to get them to act like the dome light.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know close to nothing when it comes to electrical.

TIA!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well what ever wire you broke at the switch is the one you attach into the dome light circuit.

another way is to wire a complete new circuit with another switch in the door.

Being sure to not overload the circuit by turning all the lights on at once.

You now have your dome light your map lights and now these lights you must really have a hard time seeing at night

Lets get the map lights working first
Old 03-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Well what ever wire you broke at the switch is the one you attach into the dome light circuit. another way is to wire a complete new circuit with another switch in the door. Being sure to not overload the circuit by turning all the lights on at once. You now have your dome light your map lights and now these lights you must really have a hard time seeing at night Lets get the map lights working first
I'm actually trying to not use this 'window lock' switch anymore. I would rather have it function as the dome light.

So you're saying I will overload the circuit if I wire into the dome light circuit? Even with a fuse tap? (Like I said, I don't know much about electrical so sorry for my ignorance)

I switched my stock dome light to LED so I actually can see great in the dark lol. The LED's were the first thing I added when I got the truck after seeing it on here. Now I want to change how it functions.

I just like adding some of the bells and whistles the sr5 owners enjoy onto my rig. My 4runner is as base model as it gets!!! Lol!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I meant install another switch in the door jamb .then run a complete new circuit.

If you have switched to all LED lights you should be fine.

I have never had real good luck with fuse taps .

Get your self another fuse block to run all your bling goodies instead of piggy backing every thing
Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I meant install another switch in the door jamb .then run a complete new circuit. If you have switched to all LED lights you should be fine. I have never had real good luck with fuse taps . Get your self another fuse block to run all your bling goodies instead of piggy backing every thing
Yes, a secondary fuse block is on the ever growing to do list lol!