General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda an odd one... starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda an odd one... starting

I just recently picked up an 86 4runner. Previous owner told me it was stolen and they had to replaced the ignition. Here is the problem: It almost always starts right up (short drives, been sitting for a couple days, etc.) BUT it seems to like to not start after a long drive (~100 miles) and then sitting for about 10 minutes. The lights will all come on, but nothing happens when I turn the key... just a click from the glove box, and if I turn the key further all the dash light just turn off.

Any thoughts? The first time this happened to me I had to flag someone down in a rest stop ~ 2am to help me jump start it. No fun.

Last edited by rfcruse; 06-27-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't overthink it. Start at the most basic of issues. Is it a service free battery? Have it tested-it's free at several auto parts stores. It's amazing how a battery acts fine most of the time but then fails at the most inconvenient times. Age? Documented in the paperwork from the previous owner? Even then newer batteries can and do fail, until it dies completely you are chasing a ghost uncertain of what it is...

Then the battery connections, clean and corrosion free? Both of them? at both ends? Then examine the clamps themselves-are they in good shape or originals? Full insulation all the way up to each end?

At that age of vehicle I would venture a guess one or both cables are toast. Strictly a guess...When you say all the vehicle dash lights go off my first impression is the positive cable is loose. It seems tight but it is not. It's happened to me. You jump it and the clamps tighten it up enough for a start but then over time it loosens up again.

Read up on 4crawler.com for a variety of ways to narrow down the issue. Several possibilities here...I am no mechanic and not pretending to be.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the dash lights go off thats telling me its loosing power when you try to start it. Check all connections and the battery, I think thats the best place to start.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 PM

I checked / cleaned all connections, nothing happening. I replaced the positive terminal and the starter today (banging on the starter once made it fire up so i though just a bad starter. Same old thing... all lights come on and then the click and nothing...

Any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 AM

Here is the list of things I've done - still won't start with ignition!!

New starter

multi-meter shows that there is 12+ volts going through solenoid wire when the key is turned as if starting the truck. And........

Truck starts every time when I jump the starter/solenoid with a little wire

What gives?!! Should work, right?

I've cleaned both ends of battery cables (there was a bunch of corrosion on the block side of the negative cable) + the bolts. And I've replaced both clamps on the battery (Which is new and reads 12.5 volts)

I'm at my wit's end.

Last edited by rfcruse; 06-27-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im going to bump this in hopes that someone has some good input. my 86 daily-driven 22re is acting up exactly like this as of last week. it used to start beautifully, and the starter is at most 2 years old. battery is fine, connections have all been cleaned and appear to be fine. so my next move is to just replace the starter, but after reading this i hope i'm not pissing money away for no reason when it could be something silly i'm overlooking.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would look real close at the wire coming to the solenoid to see if it is corroded . It is a pain to do because of location . If your truck is starting when you jumper the solenoid for some reason you are reading 12volts but are not getting it to the solenoid

Another thing to check is the clutch start switch. I have found them to be a pain.

I know there is a upgrade I have seen to the starting circuit I thing from 4Crawler
Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 PM

More info...

No longer intermittent, now it doesn't start. When I hook up the multi-meter to the wire that is going to the solenoid ( and it is detached, i.e. only plugged into multi-meter) I get 11.98 volts when I turn the key. If I run a jumper so the wire is connected to the solenoid and I can get a read, it shows 8.5-8.9 volts when I turn the key.

I also took a reading on all three large wires from the starter relay... all read 8.5-8.9 volts.

What does this mean? Truck starts every time if I jump the solenoid to the starter.

Bad relay?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm going through the exact same thing. Everything was fine and I was doing some work and decided to change the started because the plastic piece on the starter that holds the wire was broken, so I changed it out. Thought the new starter was bad so i took it back. Same thing is still happening. I'm leaning toward a corroded contact on the solenoid wire. I'm going to replace the tip. Unfortunately, toyota doesn't sell the connector, just the whole wireing harness. I'm just going to use a tip from radio shack or something.
If all else fails, just run a wire from your solenoid and from your battery to a momentary switch inside your truck. You have to use an automotive type switch or a regular switch with a relay. Radio Shack doesn't carry switches like that so you'd have to go to an electronics supply house. Remeber when Radio Shack used to sell electronic parts instead of TV's and cell phones?
If you figure it out let us know, I'd like to fix mine "right" too, but I'm getting closer and closer to the switch.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 AM

It could be a relay, But it could be a ground to. If your having voltage come through the wire to the solenoid with the key on, but then you try to turn the starter over and it wont do anything, the starters ground maybe coroded. Check both ends on that.

EDIT: I re-read your last post. Tell me if im understanding this right. You loose ~3v when you connect the wire to the seloniod?

Last edited by scyotapu; 07-25-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 AM

You should still be getting 12v at the solenoid. Your problem could be amps. To check that, you need to test with a load on the system. EG... You need to test it with the wire hooked up to the solenoid. I don't know what the amps are supposed to be, but the FSM should tell you.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by rfcruse
I just recently picked up an 86 4runner. Previous owner told me it was stolen and they had to replaced the ignition. Here is the problem: It almost always starts right up (short drives, been sitting for a couple days, etc.) BUT it seems to like to not start after a long drive (~100 miles) and then sitting for about 10 minutes. The lights will all come on, but nothing happens when I turn the key... just a click from the glove box, and if I turn the key further all the dash light just turn off.

Any thoughts? The first time this happened to me I had to flag someone down in a rest stop ~ 2am to help me jump start it. No fun.
Toyota routed both the trigger for the starter relay and the power for the starter relay through the ignition switch.

There is a solution for this.
Reroute the power for the starter relay (located on the inner fender on the passenger side) directly to the battery and the problem will go away.
NOTE: This is the starter relay, NOT the starter solenoid.

I spent probably over $1000 and countless hours of my free time trying to figure this out on two of my trucks over the years. Replaced starters, batteries, ignition switches, wiring added push buttons. The problem would go away for a time, only to reappear soon thereafter.

Here is a thread describing how to fix the problem.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...arting+problem

Fixed mine using these directions over a year ago. Starts every time.