General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CS144 Alt Swap, low volts, charge issue.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CS144 Alt Swap, low volts, charge issue.

Heres the Deal: 4 months ago I did a CS 144 Swap on my 3.0L. The truck has run great ever since. Until yesterday, that is. All of a sudden on my drive home (10 min drive) my Volt gauge dropped to about half, all the light dimmed, and the engine felt slower, only for about 2 seconds, then everything went back to normal. This happened again this morning when I started the truck up. On startup idle, the volts we're halfway, idle was only at about 500 (from the regular 850) and everything was dim for about 5 minutes. The "battery Carge" idiot light flickered on for about a minute then went away. Then, everything returned to normal.

I have ate no idea what's causing this, but, I can tell you I've already retigtened the new belt for the swap, checked all my wiring, and my grounds, and everything seems good. The alternator and battery both are completely new (4 months) from an auto store.

For refrence, I found this thread, but a member advised me to start my own.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/electrical-problems-298935/#post52352688

Please help me out here, I have no idea what's going on.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by NapoleonDy2nite
Heres the Deal: 4 months ago I did a CS 144 Swap on my 3.0L. The truck has run great ever since. Until yesterday, that is. All of a sudden on my drive home (10 min drive) my Volt gauge dropped to about half, all the light dimmed, and the engine felt slower, only for about 2 seconds, then everything went back to normal. This happened again this morning when I started the truck up. On startup idle, the volts we're halfway, idle was only at about 500 (from the regular 850) and everything was dim for about 5 minutes. The "battery Carge" idiot light flickered on for about a minute then went away. Then, everything returned to normal.

I have ate no idea what's causing this, but, I can tell you I've already retigtened the new belt for the swap, checked all my wiring, and my grounds, and everything seems good. The alternator and battery both are completely new (4 months) from an auto store.

For refrence, I found this thread, but a member advised me to start my own.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/electrical-problems-298935/#post52352688

Please help me out here, I have no idea what's going on.
i'd have alternator checked. Then look to wire connection especially sense wire.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just because something is only 4 months old does not mean it can not fail.

Did you check your ground connections with your Meter ??

Pulled them off and cleaned them??

You can`t just look at a connection and call it good .

If this is a intermittent problem it might not show itself when load testing the alternator

Failed splice of one of the connections.

You need to start at the battery and test your way through the charging system
Old 03-03-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been Solved. @wyoming9 , You were right. I had two faulty connections underneath all that electrical tape. One- grounding the block, and two- my sense wire from my splice on the back of the alternator. The sense wire was the most interesting. Apparently the butt connector I used was cheaply made, all the mag chloride from the roads up here in Wyoming (you would know) somehow got into butt and completely rusted it out, in 4 months! So, this time, I put a better one on, shrunk it properly, and put some liquid electrical tape on it to seal it. Hopefully it'll hold much better this time. Thanks for y'alls help!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Red face

Check those connections in July when winter is over

Wyoming has July and August and Winter !!
Old 03-03-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by NapoleonDy2nite
It's been Solved. @wyoming9 , You were right. I had two faulty connections underneath all that electrical tape. One- grounding the block, and two- my sense wire from my splice on the back of the alternator. The sense wire was the most interesting. Apparently the butt connector I used was cheaply made, all the mag chloride from the roads up here in Wyoming (you would know) somehow got into butt and completely rusted it out, in 4 months! So, this time, I put a better one on, shrunk it properly, and put some liquid electrical tape on it to seal it. Hopefully it'll hold much better this time. Thanks for y'alls help!
Wow, Wyoming gets all the credit. How much is he paying you? I even called sense.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:29 AM

Red face

I just repeated what you said only in a different way. .

No doubt it was your post that inspired me.

So in essence the credit is really all yours muddpigg!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I just repeated what you said only in a different way. .

No doubt it was your post that inspired me.

So in essence the credit is really all yours muddpigg!!!
thanks my ego is mended!!

Search this Thread