General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt parking light effecting trailer lighting

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnt parking light effecting trailer lighting

Has anyone heard of a front parking light being burnt out and effecting my trailer lighting? I had a my passenger front parking light burnt out and that was the only effect to the rest of my truck lighting. However, when I hooked up a trailer, the right turn signal on the trailer only was not working. I replace the bulb and now the trailer right signal is working. Anyone know if this makes sense? Thanks. Steve
Old 04-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any proof that what I am thinking is correct. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am running down my trailer 4 pin connector now. Do you have one of those 4 pin testers?

No that really does not make sense for a front parking light to affect the output to the rear 4 pin, hence I would ask you to try and duplicate the condition and check it with the tester.

They run about $6 at Harbor Freight.

Best of luck and please let us know how this plays out
Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Hi Ron,
It is a factory installed 4 pin connector. I did test it with a tester and the same results. I have not heard from anyone else if this is some kind of "Toyota electrial quirk". If I do find out additional information, I will let you know. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:39 AM

sometimes the more you try to understand it

Steve I solved my issues with wiring up a new" Hopkins 48055" 4 pin into my back end rat's nest of wiring. It includes the LEDs right into the connector so there is always a visual of what is going on.

I bypassed a factory 'black box' that for my 99 was behind the trim of the drivers side rear cargo area .

Are you saying when the good parking light bulb is in all is well for all towing indicators?

Even though the bulb is not your turn signal bulb (in the bumper) but actually the right corner parking light?

I realize they are all sort of interconnected but logically that does not make sense to me-but if you found the solution so be it.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:39 AM

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the tip and the details. As of now, yes, when my parking light is good, all lights on the trailer are good. When it was burned out, it was only effecting the turn signal... the same side trailer runner light (passenger) was working!! I just didn't feel like I had fixed the issue by simply replacing the parking bulb. It kind of felt like the preverbial tab on the TV to fix the picture

So far, I haven't been able to dig up confirmed facts on my "fix" but I will let you know.

On another topic, if you have advise on changing a headgasket on a 1988 4Runner, any tips would be great. I have been hitting this site (both search and thread questions) and there has been great tips.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM

head gasket out of my scope I am proud to say.

Turns out I have wired my parking lights to my brake lights. The saga continues...now I have to tear up my back end cargo area again.

aaaagggghhhhh
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 AM

Hi Ron,
The trailer problem came back. All my lights are working fine on the 4Runner, but the Right signal is not getting a turn or brake light. I went to a trailer hitch shop and they confirmed with a handheld tester the issue. All my fuses are good, so they said they have to examine the entire system to find the problem.

I have a buddy who is good with this electrical stuff so I am going to ask him before I go any further.

Steve
Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 PM

sounds like it has to be the trailer wiring itself 1st gensteve

like a pinched wire maybe

my issue is solved with a new tail light converter-also a Hopkins product. They may even have a replacement kit for your trailer wiring. They have an 800 number that was quite helpful also.

For your head gasket issues you maybe have heard of IRBIS OFF ROAD? (They are in Aurora)

If they can't help they may know someone who does that kind of work.

Weird how these electrical things go...
Old 06-12-2009, 09:18 PM

Hi Ron,
Took the 4Runner to the a hitch shop, they said (without charging) probably the trailer converter. And SURPRISE, Toyota requires a specific converter. The good thing is there is an after market company that the quality is just as good (usually does happen with Toyota parts... rule of thumb OEM).

For the headgasket issue, I will inquire with IRBIS OFF ROAD. Thanks for the tip for sure. I think I can tackle the headgasket, but so far my credentials are backyard mechanic skills. Anything with special tools will be a learning curve so if someone can replace my headgasket on the 1988 at the right price, I am in.

Steve
Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 AM

yep the Hopkins brand converter should do the trick for you.

Good luck with the hgasket
Old 06-13-2009, 08:14 AM

Hey Ron,
How did you get the Cargo area dome light out?
Steve
Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM

pry off the lens with a taped screwdriver tip

then screws hold the base of the light in place

then unplug the electrical connector
Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Hi Ron,
Thanks. It wasn't prying off easy and I was starting to stratch it. When you got to the 15 AMP Tailight converter, how did you "stick it" to the quarter panel. Did the Hopkins converter come with adveshive on the back?

Steve
Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM

no need to stick it to anything. No the Hopkins converter does not have stick on tape.

The wiring lengths should allow you to just tuck it into the rear corner-there was a small piece of padded foam back there in the drivers rear corner of the body. It won't be going anywhere really....but if you don't have the foam piece you should get one to fill the cavity up a bit....
Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Hi Ron,
Thanks. Looking at the Hopkins, I might be able to zip tie something. I get the part tommorrow, I hope this works. You have been helpful. I took pictures and if this works, I plan on posting the steps so no-one has to go through what you and I have. Talk to you soon.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:41 PM

that would be real helpful Steve

I suck at the photo hosting-takes me days to get a picture online.

Good luck with that and if you need someone to take a look before you tie it all together just stay in touch. I liked using the Hopkins 4 pin with LEDs built right into it so that it was easy to see at a glance what functions were working properly and which were not.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Hi Ron,
Maybe 1998 are wired different. How to you connect the right side and brake? The converter wires don't do to that side of the truck.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:58 PM

Hi Ron,
I Got the converter and it is not connecting. Not sure if it is a 1998 issue. I called Hopkins prior and they said it woud work. If I had an extension to the passenger tailight it would.

Let me know what you think.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 AM

Hi Ron,
I think I figured it out. The Hopkins kit has their wire assemblies reversed going to the converter. The Hopkins "left directional" wire is long and the "right directional" wires are short. This is the opposite of the Toyota wiring (Toyota left - short, Toyota right - long). So this means I need to take apart the right side of the truck and reverse the instructions? I was hoping to plug in play everything in on the left side.

Also, when I do this, do my turn signals work properly?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Burnt parking light effecting trailer lighting