General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 4runner power antenna motor relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4runner power antenna motor relay

I recently replaced the broken antenna mast with a new one and it worked for a couple of weeks just fine. Then, one day, i turned on the radio and i didn't hear the antenna going up. Looked over at the antenna and it was extended about 6" up and the motor wasn't running. Upon inspection, the top, flat piece of the antenna was missing and the antenna could be raised or lower by hand. It can't be pushed all the way back in and won't stay up without crimping the sections. Obviously the antenna mast is broken again. My question then is, is there a relay or fuse that was tripped to keep the antenna motor from running? Or is the motor dead and then the whole power antenna should be replaced? It doesn't make the "normal" hum of a properly working antenna motor, nor any sound at all. Thereby wondering if it is getting power or not. Also, there are no other electronics out that might be running off the same relay/fuse. Ie: Clock.
Any help and info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 05-24-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Time to break out the Meter!

I gotta say I have had nothing but trouble with Power antennas

Yes it has a relay it also is powered by the dome light fuse and the acc fuse the 2 different fuses allow it to work with the ignition switch in run and acc. position
Old 05-28-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEY WYOMING9, THANKS FOR THE HELP!
WOULD APPEAR THAT IT WASN'T EITHER FUSE OR THE RELAY THAT WAS THE PROBLEM! APPARENTLY, THE REPLACEMENT MAST WHICH I BOUGHT FROM "ANTENNA SOURCE.COM" -https://www.theantennasource.com/, PART3 A049, WASN'T OF HIGH ENOUGH QUALITY AS STATED IN THE EBAY AD. THE WHITE NYLON(?) TOOTHED CABLE BROKE IN THE TOP SECTION OF THE MAST SO THE ENTIRE CABLE WAS WOUND UP INSIDE THE ACTUAL ANTENNA HOUSING. AFTER LISTENING CLOSELY, THE MOTOR STARTING TO RUN WAS BARELY DISCERNIBLE, AND RAN FOR A SECOND OR TWO. APPARENTLY, THERE MUST BE SOME KIND OF SHUTOFF SWITCH TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO THE MOTOR WHEN CERTAIN CONDITIONS ARE MET-ONE BEING HAVING THE WHOLE CABLE BOUND UP INSIDE!
SO, AFTER TEARING THE UNIT OUT AGAIN AND TAKING IT APART, I REMOVED THE CABLE, PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND TESTED IT BEFORE RE-INSTALLING IT AND IT RAN AGAIN!
PUT IT BACK INTO THE VEHICLE AND TESTED IT AGAIN. STILL RUNS!
SO NOW I PURCHASED AN ANTENNAE MADE BY "RADERRA", WHICH IS SUPPOSE TO BE A SUPERIOR PRODUCT. I HOPE THIS ONE ENDS MY ANTENNAE WOES!
AGAIN,THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,
98 4RUNNER OWNER