General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 SR5 4 Runner sending unit issue....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 SR5 4 Runner sending unit issue....

Good morning everyone, I'm new to the site and new to Toyota all together. I was given a 96 SR5 4 Runner (310,900 miles) for my son's first vehicle. It came from a family friend and they told me everything that was wrong with it that they knew about. I've had it for a wk now and filled the tank the other night just before dropping it off for a "pre" state vehicle inspection. The preliminary findings were small. Typical wipers, dry rot tires (vehicle barely was ran the past yr), brakes, rotors.... Since I got it back I noticed the fuel gauge was originally full when I took it to inspection but only pumped in about 6 gallons to get it to full which I thought was weird. Now when I start the truck there's no rhyme or reason what the gauge will display as level but gradually drops to empty. I did notice that when I drive it does gradually climb but at idle it drops back down to empty. I've only driven 40 miles on that same fill up. I'm leaning towards the sending unit but I cannot find any wiring diagrams. When I Google search for info I keep finding 99 4 Runner. What models yrs cross over? I'm sorry if you guys ha e already answered this a million times (seems to be a common issue with the 4Runner) but I've tried searching the site and I'm having new guy trouble navigating the forums. Thanks in advance for any help offered. Jerome
Old 04-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
You may be able to reach this plug through the access panel (black triangle-ish cover) under the left rear seat:

At the top of the tank there is a plug for the fuel pump/sending unit. The bottom 3 are for the sending unit/ low fuel light. If you're looking down on it after unplugging the one on the left is for the light. The other two is for the sender. If you do find a schematic the middle spade is the red wire and the right side is the black wire.
Name:  pI7lMoC.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  61.6 KB

To the left on the board is the empty side, the right is the full side. (pic from my build thread comparing new and old senders from my '96)
Name:  cI2sGpk.jpg
Size:  58.5 KB

Mine is slow to indicate but once it gets where it's going it only drops after I shut it off.
That's all I have info-wise, and nothing on the fuel gauge in the cluster itself. I do know the gauge can be replaced separately in the cluster, having had mine out for another project.
You prolly keep finding 99 4Runners on your searches because many of those have problematic fuel gauges, our 96s' gauge isn't the same.

Maintained, these are nice little trucks. I hope your son enjoys his as much as I do mine.
That said there is an issue you want to make sure you have dealt with if it hasn't been already: the lower ball joints. While the original equipment ones last last generally at least 150,000 miles it is the one major thing you absolutely want to keep up on.
You'll want to find out if the lower ball joints have ever been replaced and if so what brand was used.

If you have an auto trans search pink milkshake while you're at it. That one is for a reasonably preventable situation that can be spendy in the case of a coolant/trans fluid mix. If you have a manual trans then no milkshake for you.

Last edited by habanero; 04-07-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I came across this today:
Name:  u50oGbu.png
Size:  146.9 KB

posted by Sportscarfan 5 years ago, found it interesting.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-readings.html
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a million for the help Habanero!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have not had a fuel gauge that worked in my 4runner since I bought and being they are long obsolete I never messed with it .