General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" LED Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9" LED Driving Lights

Added a set of 9" LED driving lights to my 89 4Runner 2-door the other week.

This is before with Hi-Beam on:

This is after, with the LED driving lights on:

Bear in mind that these pictures were taken with a point and shoot camera at night - so both images were brighter in real life. Also, the edges of the road a fully lit up in real life with the LED lights, not as dark as in the photos.
The pair of LED driving lights are rated to 18,000 lumens and each individual LED has a larger reflector than in standard light bars so they focus the light out much further.

Thought someone might be interested in these as they are an alternative to lightbars but also have the range to work well on the highway. For me, i didn't have room on my bullbar to mount a lightbar so these worked quite well.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The thing is in most states you would have to have the fuse removed and have them covered to be legal on the street .

Then laws change so fast it is hard to keep up with them

Then just where you live plays into the equation .
Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are LED lights really illegal in the USA on the highways?

Down here only the mounting locations are controlled. You have to have the lightbars no higher than the factory lights.
And they are not allowed to sit on top of barwork as it may hinder a person if hit coming up onto the bonnet. For safety the laws want pedestrians if hit, to come up on the bonnet and not be pushed under the vehicle. So no forward angled bars are allowed. The bad thing is there is millions of kangaroos and emus running around, and if you hit one, you don't want them to come up onto the bonnet you want them pushed under the vehicle.

A family member many years ago hit a big roo once and it came up and through the windshield and landed on the passengers seat next to him and started kicking the hell out of him. He had to jump out of the vehicle!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For on street use your only legal with Fog lights unless the federal law has changed way back in the day only one brand of Fog lights was expected

It is not LED in general just the type and where they are mounted

Your same lights mounted as back up lights would be fine

The word here being legal .

If you get caught with them turned on and the car you blind just happens to be law enforcement things can get real ugly fast .

I learned this the hard way when I was young and dumb now just old and stupid

It depends just what part of the country just how much you can get away with. In areas with more Cows and Sheep then people it might just be ignored.