General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gen aftermarket speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen aftermarket speakers

First off, I have a 96 4Runner. My passenger rear door speaker doesn't work and I thought it was the speaker or a broken wire somewhere since my Pioneer HU came from my Prelude and all of the channels worked great. I got a good deal on some Alpine S series speakers so I bought fronts and rears Friday. Saturday I take the passenger rear door panel off and see the factory 5.25 speaker has 3 mounting prongs and go into a big plastic adapter that fits the big, odd shaped hole in the door. My Alpines have 4 mounting holes and I can't figure out how to adapt these to the factory mount. Oh yeah, the big, plastic, odd shaped speaker adapter also holds the speaker about an inch off of the door frame so it doesn't sit flush adding to my dilemma. I'm guessing I could just run some long screws into the plastic mount to solve the problem but wanted to know what other guys did first.

So I take a battery and get some wire and touch the speaker terminals and guess what... it works. So I'm thinking I either have a bad wire or a bad channel in my headunit. I pull the headunit out and put the battery and wires on the passenger rear prongs of the plug where the headunit plugs in and I hear the static so that means my freaking headunit has a bad channel. I'm pretty upset but oh well I guess. I'm considering running a small 4 channel amp so I can keep my headunit b/c I love it, still upset about the burnt channel though

So back to the original deal, anybody upgrade their factory speakers and if so how did you mount them? Pics would help out.
Thanks
Jason
Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

I made custom cut 5.25 mounting adapters out of MDF...Drop me a PM with your email and I will send you pictures. I have a write-up on here, but I think the pictures do not show up on it anymore. I still have the pictures on my computer. I have a 2000 and I believe the rear speakers on it were only 4 inch. Anyway, I made those adapters put my speakers in....I used Focal 5.25" Coax.... and I did not like the sound of the 5.25's. I used 6.5's in the front (Focal Components) and they sounded so good, I scrubbed my plan for a Subwoofer. Anyway, I ended up making some custom adapters out of MDF for 6.5's for the rear doors and used the same components I used in the front...now they are all timbre matched and the 6.5's added a lot of base response. To do that, you have to make the adapter and then do some customizing to metal of the door and the door panel pocket. They sound incredible! But that may be more than you want to get into.

I may still have my 5.25 adapters if you want them. I will have to look and see if they are still in my garage.

EDIT:

Here is the picture of the 5.25's in place in their adapter.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 02-23-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Man you made those? WOW! terminator2373@aol.com man, your write up would be cool. How much for your adapters?
Thanks
Jason

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
I made custom cut 5.25 mounting adapters out of MDF...Drop me a PM with your email and I will send you pictures. I have a write-up on here, but I think the pictures do not show up on it anymore. I still have the pictures on my computer. I have a 2000 and I believe the rear speakers on it were only 4 inch. Anyway, I made those adapters put my speakers in....I used Focal 5.25" Coax.... and I did not like the sound of the 5.25's. I used 6.5's in the front (Focal Components) and they sounded so good, I scrubbed my plan for a Subwoofer. Anyway, I ended up making some custom adapters out of MDF for 6.5's for the rear doors and used the same components I used in the front...now they are all timbre matched and the 6.5's added a lot of base response. To do that, you have to make the adapter and then do some customizing to metal of the door and the door panel pocket. They sound incredible! But that may be more than you want to get into.

I may still have my 5.25 adapters if you want them. I will have to look and see if they are still in my garage.

EDIT:

Here is the picture of the 5.25's in place in their adapter.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i made some adapters out of some mdf was super easy
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terminator
Man you made those? WOW! terminator2373@aol.com man, your write up would be cool. How much for your adapters?
Thanks
Jason
Dude, just make it work. A '92 Pickup isn't supposed to have 6.5's or 6x9's but it does. And it would probably be about the same to make the adapters yourself if you have a jigsaw.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:59 AM

Good news, I pulled the headunit out and there was a loose wire I didn't see so no burnt channel!! Now I need to find some MDF and start my own adapters.
Jason
Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Guys, please don't assume I am trying to make money off of this, I offered to give them to him (not sell them)...less shipping...as I am not using them...would probably cost less than the MDF.

You can make your own if you have a jigsaw, and a router or dremmel...Somewhere on Yotatech there is a template. You'll notice they screw into the original holes in the door. They have to be cut like the one you see in my picture to clear the door panel. The depth and the door panel are really the only limiting factor on 5.25's. 6.5's require a little more custom work. Check your speaker depth...Be sure your window will go down without hitting them. Should be fine with most speakers. I think I used 3/4 inch MDF...not the easiest thing to cut with a jigsaw as it is pretty hard stuff. Also, I painted mine just to seal the MDF from moisture.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 02-24-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Here it is! Template

But you may have to trim the area I did depending on your door panel fit.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 02-24-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 AM

I've been on that site a bunch and never saw that, THANKS!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 AM

I have a '97 4Runner with the 6 speaker factory stereo. My problem is the rear speakers are half as loud as the front door speakers. Does that suggest a problem or is it normal? I inspected both rear door speaker connections and they appeared OK. I am hoping someone on here has come across a similar problem.